DeanL's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Timeline not working

Wondering if it's just me or something is indeed wrong with the timeline feature. It hasn't been showing places I'd been, though the map is still tracking correctly.

(Map was blurred out for security purpose)(Map was blurred out for security purpose)

8 comments
Level 8

Re: Timeline not working

Hey Dean, mine does not always show locations that I have been. If you want to add the missing locations select between the two points on the timeline "Driving, Walking... etc." and select "Add a Place" then search for the place in the search field. Once you find the location you can edit the time you were there and save. If there are no places, select the three vertical dots in the top right and select "Add a Place" in the drop down. I find that it doesn't add a location is there are more than one possibility, I'm sure the tracking system will get better in time.

Mark

Level 4

Thanks @Vortimaxx for the response. My bad I didn't make myself clear: My timeline has been working well, ie automatically tracking and displaying all the places I had been, and this has stopped working since beginning of the weekend. So I'm curious to know if something is wrong with the data server. I presume your timeline is working fine for you?

Level 8

Yes, my timeline worked for me yesterday, my guess is it may be something with your device. Try restarting your device and make sure your GPS is active. If it still poses a problem you may want to uninstall Maps and then re-install. If none of these work it could be an issue with the server your data is stored on as there are many servers that store this type of data. 

Mark

Level 4

I should post an update: My timeline worked again since few days ago. I didn't do anything, it just came back by itself. Me guess it had to do with something wrong with data server near my location.

My advice for anyone facing similar issue in future: Keep calm and wait for Google to sort it out.

Level 5

Mine isn't working since the last november. I don't think it will ever work again, at least I don't think it'll be back to work by itself.

Level 5

I waited for 5 months. The only thing that fixed to me was factory resetting my phone. Shame.

Level 5

My fix:
On an Android device, press and hold the Location icon until the Location screen appears.

Scroll all the way down past the 'Recent location requests' settings.

Select 'Google Location History'

Make sure your correct Google account appears.

Make sure 'Use Location History' is turned on.

MY FIX --> Make sure this device is turned on.

I noticed that my device was also listed under 'Other devices on this account.' It showed the last time my timeline worked. For some reason, it created a duplicate but never turned on the location history for the duplicate.

Hope this helps. If not you, someone else.

Scott

Scotty B
Level 6

Worked for me, thanks very much. Been struggling for two days having to manually enter everything. All I did was clear the cache so it must have made a new "phone" in the list with the same name.