plavarda's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

The lakes of Italy by bicycle: day 9, the last!

Stage 9: The video. Sesto Calende - Varese

Photo 1: the path

Photo 2: Lake Comabbio

Photo 3: Lake Monate

Ninth and last day of my cycling trip to the lakes. I have reserved a final surprise for you. Departure at 9:30 along the Ticino on the left bank, but I immediately abandon it to direct me towards Lake Comabbio. The climbs begin immediately, but in the midst of incredibly beautiful woods. I discovered that Lombardy, in particular the province of Varese, is a succession of woods, lakes and the territory continues to change, although it is also full of road infrastructures. I let the navigator lead me, but trying to avoid when I see that the road is not my thing. For today it behaved well having set it only on paved roads, however it made me do a couple of km on dirt road anyway. I go up in altitude to get to Lake Comabbio after about 10 km. It really impresses me for its pleasant beauty and for how the cycle path around the lake is organized. It is a continuous passage through woods and reeds and in some flashes you can enjoy the beauty of the lake water with the reflections of the trees and with the blue of the sky. You go up again and go towards the lake of which I was elected king, precisely for all the things I am going to say in these writings, the lake of Monate (it means nonsense in Venetian dialect). This too is bordered by hills and woods.

Photo 4: Swamp Brabbia

Photo 5: Lake Varese

Photo 6: Lake Varese

From the town of Monate, along the BI12 route, point on Lake Varese. It is the largest body of water, of all those I have met today, and not just these three. Here too it is all lined with woods and you travel on the cycle path in continuous ups and downs, even challenging ones. Once in Capolago I find a detour that indicates Varese railway stations. Here they are so well organized, that they foresee the intersecting cycle paths towards the stations. And this is the moment that I realize that I have not understood anything about geography in the past years. In fact, I have always considered Varese as a city in the Po Valley, with cabbage! To get to Varese I have to get off the bike a lot of times, because the roads proposed as cycle paths to get to the stations, in my opinion, even those who have an electric bike, have to do some effort. However, the route was beautiful in the middle of fields, in the flat areas, with riding schools, and farms and in the background, always the lake. I arrive at the hotel and after a first shower, I am going to do what will be the last thing of the trip.

Photo 7: The entrance to Sacro Monte. To the Sanctuary

Photo 8: Chapel 2 dedicated to The Visit of Mary to Elizabeth

Photo 9: Chapel 2 dedicated to The Visit of Mary to Elizabeth

I stored my bicycle in the hotel and by public transport I go to the start of the climb at about 500 meters above sea level, to be done exclusively on foot, which will take me, through the path of the 14 Chapels dedicated to the Mystery of the Rosary, to the 820 meters of the Sacro Monte di Varese, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with the Sanctuary of Mary, apparently founded in the 4th century by Sant'Ambrogio. A road, all cobbled, climbs with a good slope, in a path also made by Pope Wojtyla in 1984.

Photo 10: Chapel 3 dedicated to The Birth of Jesus in the Grotto of Bethlehem

Photo 11: Chapel 3 dedicated to The Birth of Jesus in the Grotto of Bethlehem

Photo 12: Chapel 10 dedicated to The crucifixion and death of Jesus

Photo 13: Chapel 10 dedicated to The crucifixion and death of Jesus

The Joyful Mysteries are from the first to the fifth chapel, the Sorrowful Mysteries are from the sixth to the tenth chapel, the Glorious Mysteries are from the eleventh chapel to the 15th, that is the Sanctuary. Each change of mysteries is marked by an arch and a fountain. I refresh my memory on the Mysteries of the Rosary, as, inside each of the chapels, there is a terracotta representation of the Mystery. The Annunciation of the Angel to the Virgin Mary; The Visit of Mary to Elizabeth; The Birth of Jesus in the Grotto of Bethlehem; The Presentation of Jesus in the Temple; The Finding of Jesus among the Doctors in the Temple. garden of olives; The scourging of Jesus at the column; The crowning with thorns; The ascent to Calvary; The crucifixion and death of Jesus; The resurrection of Jesus; The ascension of Jesus to Heaven; The descent of the Holy Spirit in the Upper Room ; The Assumption of the Virgin Mary into Heaven; The Coronation of the Virgin Mary.In addition, the interior of the chapels is frescoed.

Photo 14: The path

Photo 15: Chapel 13 dedicated to The descent of the Holy Spirit in the Upper Room

I tried to take photos of the interior through the stained glass windows, which close all the chapels, to repair these masterpieces from the elements. The third chapel is noteworthy with a mural, executed in 1983 by Renato Guttuso, depicting the Flight into Egypt (a painting by Guttuso can reach as much as $ 250,000). The works begun in the early 1600s ended before the end of the century.

Photo 16: Sacro Monte after the 14th Chapel. To the Sanctuary

Photo 17: Sacro Monte, the old village with the Sanctuary

Photo 18: Sacro Monte, the Sanctuary

Photo 19: Sacro Monte, view from the Sanctuary

The whole climb is covered with greenery and flowers, in the background the high hills, which surround the Sacro Monte. On the square a board indicates the peaks of the Alps and the Apennines visible on a clear day, but today it is not, but it sweeps 360 degrees. The arrival at the Sanctuary is signaled by the fountain of Moses. I go up the steps of this ancient village to visit the Sanctuary. Place of meditation and prayer. The silence is absolute and I try not to be a simple tourist and I stop for a few minutes too. I observe the frescoed vaults and the Baroque architecture. I notice the usual 4 bishops on the high altar. In going out, timidly, and just because I think of you, I take two photos, without disturbing, from the bottom.

Photo 20: The view from Sacro Monte

Photo 21: Descending Sacro Monte

Photo 22: Lake Varese and lake Monate from sacro Monte

Going down looking for other shots other than the climb, and seeing that the reflections seem less, I try to get better images of the interior, but with little success. Bus almost on the fly, and I go to the station to get the ticket for tomorrow, and that Saintn Chieftrain protect me and not let me get off the train. Evening stroll in Varese. Thank you all for following me, enduring the countless beeps of the photos that arrived, thanks for the deserved consequent insults, you kept me company and I tried to keep it to you. The next trip? Boh? I hope with Cri. With love, a hug to everyone!

Varese, VA, Italia
9 comments
Level 9

Rif.: The lakes of Italy by bycicle: day 9, the last!

@MagoDiAz Marco ecco qui l'ultima puntata a Varese, tra i laghi di Comabbio, Monate e Varese e la salita al Monte Sacro!!!

Se ho detto delle cavolate correggimi!

Paolo

Level 9

Caro @plavarda thank you for your visit,

As someone who knew about travels and reviews in front of the natural spectacle of Varese and its surroundings wrote about Varese, the well-known French writer Stendhal enthusiastically informed his friends that he had had a «Magnificent vision! At sunset, seven lakes could be seen. Believe me you can travel all over France and Germany, but you will never be able to experience such sensations ». I imagine how Lake Varese was at the heart of such visions, today fully embraced by the cycle path, about 29 km long, which completes the entire circumnavigation of the lake.
But I can also imagine you may have fallen in love with the spectacle of water lilies, the absolute protagonists of Lake Comabbio, whose bike path at a certain point becomes a wooden pier and allows us to admire them up close.
Or I can imagine Stendhal getting lost in the rooms of Palazzo Estense admiring its decorations and its wonderful garden that made Stendhal excalamate that Varese is the “Versailles of Milan”.
And maybe it was there that he thought about how to best celebrate his wedding in the place and in the season where the azaleas and rhododendrons are an incomparable spectacle: "The wedding can be held in Varese, near Lake Maggiore, on 1 May 1831", Stendhal wrote in one of his letters from Paris, on November 6, 1830, to Daniele Berlinghieri asking him to marry Giulia Rinieri (marriage never took place).
Like you, Stendhal set out for the Sacro Monte to meet Angela Pietragrua, he wrote in his Journal "I only thought that if I ever wanted to live a few months in the midst of nature, I should settle in Sant'Ambrogio, a mile beyond Varese, which is a small town, like Sant'Ambrogio is a village "
Here dear, your journey was like shooting an arrow in the heart, the heart of Varese.

Thank you @plavarda  for sharing your ezperience and hope my city give you the hospitality you aspect and leave in your heart good memories.

Your GLG @MagoDiAz 

Sunset at Lago Maggiore  photo by MagoDiAzSunset at Lago Maggiore photo by MagoDiAzLago Di Varese photo by MagoDiAzLago Di Varese photo by MagoDiAzLungo Lago Luino (Lago Maggiore) photo by MagoDiAzLungo Lago Luino (Lago Maggiore) photo by MagoDiAz

Porto Valtravaglia (Lago Maggiore) photo by MagoDiAzPorto Valtravaglia (Lago Maggiore) photo by MagoDiAz

Sacro Monte di Varese photo by MagoDiAzSacro Monte di Varese photo by MagoDiAz

Sacro Monte di Varese photo by MagoDiAzSacro Monte di Varese photo by MagoDiAzSacro Monte di Varese photo by MagoDiAzSacro Monte di Varese photo by MagoDiAzWater lilies Lago di Comabbio photo by MagoDiAzWater lilies Lago di Comabbio photo by MagoDiAzLago di Comabbio photo by MagoDiAzLago di Comabbio photo by MagoDiAzVarese view  from Sacro Monte photo by MagoDiAzVarese view from Sacro Monte photo by MagoDiAzLago Maggiore from Forte d'Orino photo by MagoDiAzLago Maggiore from Forte d'Orino photo by MagoDiAzPalazzo Estense photo by MagoDiAzPalazzo Estense photo by MagoDiAz

Lake of varese (glimpse below right) lake of monate, lake of comabbio, lake maggiore, and in the background the lake of orta. Photo by MagoDiAzLake of varese (glimpse below right) lake of monate, lake of comabbio, lake maggiore, and in the background the lake of orta. Photo by MagoDiAz

Marco Massi
Level 9

Mamma mia @MagoDiAz  Marco ho i brividi per le tue parole e per le tue foto, che onestamente è riduttivo chiamare foto. Parole e immagini sono l'espressione dell'amore che hai per la tua città che fai trasmigrare dentro il cuore di  questo umile pedalatore. Grazie Marco stasera mi hai fatto sentire di essere un po' un viaggiatore romantico di altri tempi.

Un forte abbraccio.

Paolo

Level 9

Grazie a Te @plavarda di cuore.

Se sei ancora nel centro di Varese ti consiglio di visitare il palazzo Estense con i giardini pubblici (non ti prende più di 30 min 1h )ne vale sicuramente la pena.

Marco Massi
Level 9

@MagoDiAz comunque , come puoi vedere dal video, ci sono passato attraverso i giardini arrivando in bicicletta a Varese ed effettivamente sono incantevoli.

Level 9

Scusami @plavarda  vero, visto ora nel Video ! 

Quindi hai ricalcato in pieno le orme di Stendhal 🙂.

Marco Massi
Level 9

@MagoDiAz sei tu e gli altri LG che mi devono scusare, il video si era fermato a meno di due minuti anzichè 4. Ho appena sistemato!!! Come mi sento Stendhal!! :))

Former Google Contributor

Re: The lakes of Italy by bycicle: day 9, the last!

Ciao @plavarda,

Grazie ancora per questa altra splendida avventura che hai consiviso con noi! Nonavevo mai sentito parlare del Sacro Monte di Varese, un posto unico che merita sicuramente una visita. Ci sono molti turisti?

Grazie anche a te, @MagoDiAz, le tue foto sono favolose, specialmente quella del tramonto sul Lago Maggiore. Hai usato un filtro o programma particolare per ottenere quell'effetto cromatico? 🙂

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 9

Re: The lakes of Italy by bycicle: day 9, the last!

Ciao @Giu_DiB  io ho trovato pochi turisti, ma era un giorno feriale. Confermo che è poco conosciuto come tanti altri splendidi luoghi della nostra bella Italia. Neanch',io ne conoscevo l'esistenza, ma entrato in provincia di Varese continuavo a vedere i cartelloni che ne facevano la  pubblicità, se così non fosse stato non l'avrei visitato di sicuro. Un abbraccio.

Paolo