Karatrick's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

The Car Free day in Kigali

Kigali car Free day is an idea brought by the City of Kigali, (The capital City of Rwanda) to encourage Kigali citizen to practice sports activities and stimulate a healthy lifestyle, Initially, The idea was to close few connecting Roads for Vehicles and open them for joggers, cyclists and pedestrians in the morning hours 7  AM to 11 AM.

The route is 10KM long and people come from both ends to meet in the middle of the route, where a trainer provides guided exercises, stretchings and free drinking water. additionally, the Rwandan Biomedical centre provides even free voluntary checkups for Diabetes and Heart diseases. 

The Car Free Day RouteThe Car Free Day Route

The event used to happen on the last Sunday of the month. Two years later the movement became so popular that it's now a bimonthly event that brings thousands of people from around the city.

There are some routes for people especially Christians to go to churches or hospitals since the event happens on Sundays. No one seems to hate it, Businesses don't suffer because they are still open and probably enjoy participating, also sports shops are selling more...

A view from A building on the side of Kigali Car free day routeA view from A building on the side of Kigali Car free day route

The people of Kigali loves it and the city is even considering increasing the frequency,

What I like most is that it reduces carbon emissions and its an opportunity to meet people and exchange. In the future,

I'm planning to capture the route in Streetview for the world to see.

Kigali City at Sunset Time, Here you can see  almost 50% Of the Beautiful KigaliKigali City at Sunset Time, Here you can see almost 50% Of the Beautiful Kigali

Optimistic in attitude | Photographer by Passion | Helping others Helps | Academically MBA
8 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: The Car Free day in Kigali

Great idea in Rwanda!

@Karatrick Nice photos you Share with us. Looking forward to see your streetview 📷📸📷

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Former Google Contributor

Wow, this is awesome @Karatrick!

Thanks so much for sharing this super cool idea! What a brilliant way to promote a healthier lifestyle in your community! I'm impressed by this and I wish I could implement something similar here. 🙂

That said, it would be amazing if you could capture the next one. Why not create a meet-up and share your experience with us? 

PS: Feel free to check out  How to Organize a Local Guides Meet-Up

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Google Moderator

Hello @Karatrick,

Back home in Jakarta, where I'm from we also have Car Free Day event which is held every Sunday morning from 06.00 - 11.00 in the center of Jakarta, which on a normal weekdays are packed with cars and traffic everywhere. 

So every Sunday, people use this opportunity to do some exercise like running, cycling even doing zumba together and as what @AlexaAC had mentioned it will be great to create meet-ups there.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 7

Thank you @TorM  Will surely share more of shots during the next one.

Optimistic in attitude | Photographer by Passion | Helping others Helps | Academically MBA
Level 7

Thank you @AlexaAC for sharing the post on how to organize a meetup, I realise this is actually a good opportunity to get together as local guides. I'll definitely organize that and share later on.

Level 7

Thank you @AngieYC, that sounds very similar to here, It is nice to hear, Indonesia seems to be a beautiful country, Has the event been there for a while? Do local businesses sees the Car Free day as a threat?

Former Google Contributor

Excellent @Karatrick!

You're most welcome and I look forward to your recap! 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Google Moderator

Hello @Karatrick,

It is beautiful and I recommend you to visit especially if you like nature.

The car free day event was first held in 2007, during that time the event only happened on the last Saturday of the month but since 2012 car free day in Jakarta is held every sunday. 

Local business actually support this event, because there you can find few spots that looks like a small bazaar where people sell some stuffs. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!