AlinDevil's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

StreetView App does not recognize GPS coordinates for post processed photos

The Android StreetView app fails to recognize the GPS coordinates for any photosphere that I edit in Google Photos (for small color corrections) or in Photoshop (for removing the tripod for example). This is a very annoying issue and it's been present for more than one year as far as I'm aware.

Sometimes i go in various remote locations in the mountains and take photospheres along the road and having to reposition each photosphere manually in StreetView is just impossible with no recognizable nearby landmarks.

The workflow to reproduce the issue would be :

- Have one photosphere in your google photos library

- Adjust the photosphere in google photos by applying any of the existing color filters to it and save it

- Open the Android StreetView App and import the photosphere you previously edited

Expected result: The GPS coordinates are no longer recognized by StreetView, even if they're still present in the metadata information of the file as confirmed with multiple image processing tools or even with Google Photos.

Even more weird is the fact that if you go back to Google Photos and undo the edits you previously made (you have this option if you open a previously edited file) then StreetView will happily accept your photosphere and the GPS coordinates are once again correctly imported.

Same goes for photospheres edited in Photoshop for removing the tripod or other small adjustments and uploaded to Google Photos. The pictures are recognized by Google Photos, the location is displayed on the map, but when i try to import them to StreetView the location is once again lost.

I can't understand why two Google products developed by the same company can't be fully compatible with each other. I've already invested a lot of time and money in equipment and research into making photospheres and this issue just drives me crazy. 

1 comment
Level 8

Re: StreetView App does not recognize GPS coordinates for post processed photos

I'm just going to post this here in case somebody else needs a solution to this issue.

So the whole process of importing any photosphere from Google Photos into StreetView will always result in losing the GPS coordonates. This is from my personal experience. It doesn't seem to matter anymore (probably some update fixed/broke this) if the photosphere was previously edited in any way in Google Photos.

The workaround i'm currently using is to stop using Google Photos completely and just copy the image files in a random folder on my phone and just import them from there in StreetView.

So my current workflow is:

1. Capture the photosphere with my XIAOMI Mi Sphere MiJia 360 camera
  2. Download and adjust photos on my PC in Photoshop (nadir patching etc.)
  3. Reset to zero the PosePitchDegrees parameter because Photoshop always exports a weird value and you get wobbly photospheres otherwise. I use ExifToolGUI for this.
  4. Upload the images on my phone using AirDroid and the web interface on the PC
  5. Import the photospheres in StreetView

Hope this helps.

Best regards.