Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Snap to Road (Additional Features) - Google Timeline

Hey LGC!

It was only last week when I found out about the 'Snap to Road' feature on the browser-version of Google Maps timeline, and found it really intriguing to see the journey you've taken to get from one point to another. And then when you unlock hyperlapse, you get to see a collection of images as the Google Street View van captures along the path. Below is an example of the feature being used in one of my recent journeys.Here's a typical journey of mine. Note the random jut on the right.Here's a typical journey of mine. Note the random jut on the right.Not always is a mobile device's GPS constantly pinging the satellites, so in-between two pings it will come across as a straight line. An example is below.Here's a relatively straight bus route that really doesn't believe in curves or corners.Here's a relatively straight bus route that really doesn't believe in curves or corners.

The point of this discussion is to suggest some further features regarding the snap to road feature in Google timeline. Note that these are based on my observations predominantly on the browser and app versions.

• At the moment, transport methods that only seem to be able for snapping to the roads is driving. If the transport mode was something else, the magic wand feature won't appear. Hence the reason why in the first picture my position jumped was because during that journey I was on a bus instead. Could there be some function that we would be able to snap to road any bus routes? For example if we were on say the T63 Parramatta to Rouse Hill Town Centre bus, it would show not just 'On a bus' but rather 'On the T63 Route bus'? And the snap would effectively follow the bus routes provided by the local transport authorities too, making it seamless.
  • Similarly, could there be a function where the different transportation methods are colour-coded slightly differently? Driving, on a bus and on a train are all the same navy blue coloured and would benefit from different colour coded transport modes (for example Sydney Transport and Public Transport Victoria, can vary across different countries/localities).
  • In relation to the first point, we could also get a function to (auto-?)snap to rail for when our journeys show as 'On a train'. The screenshot below looks quite messy thinking we travelled quite different methods to and from work even though it's on the same train line. I do adore the detail that's put into the train lines and their shapes.

Here's what Google maps thinks about where I'm going to and from work via the train. All the detection points are very close to the train line.Here's what Google maps thinks about where I'm going to and from work via the train. All the detection points are very close to the train line.

• Imagine being able to unlock hyperlapse on a train, then simulating how it would look like traveling at the front of the train. You could travel between two train stations and see the view by attaching a Google Street View camera right at the front and capturing the whole journey, then using the hyperlapse figure to see a view that only transport staff or conductors could get to see. Instead of Street View, it would be Rail View instead! And you get to see what it looks like right ahead.

I think that's it for now. Let me know what you think for these proposed ideas!

Thanks for reading.

Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
2 comments
Level 7

Re: Snap to Road (Additional Features) - Google Timeline

I think you should be able to snap all car traveling by default.

Level 3

Re: Snap to Road (Additional Features) - Google Timeline

Is there a way to snap all roads for day to the streets? Instead of each route individually?