MattGatlin's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Six years and 20K+ photos - Google Takeout

Thanks @TerryPG ,

Mario and Luigi take up almost as much photo storage space on my phone as all the GM pics - lol. 

Level 10

@MattGatlin 

Wow, that is absolutely INSANE that you were able to string all of your Google Maps photos together into a movie like that!
Kudos for actually taking the time to do that math and experiment - I can only imagine how dizzying and disjointed it must have been to watch initially.

I started viewing it but had to stop after about 5 minutes because the rapid fire flashing of random places, people and scenes was honestly giving me a headache. You definitely need to spike some popcorn with edibles before watching it end to end.

How about Google would provide a tool to automated what you did? Well, they own maps, youtube and plenty of cloud store and compute to spare 😉
(@AdamGT - we don't rank by photo numbers, but I assume you can quickly see who would be the top 10 to provide the longest movie).
I assume that for 95% of LGs it would be few seconds of just blurry selfies and food pictures but consider @Herve_Andrieu "the machine" with ~190k photos! Quick calc at you fps makes that an over 2 hours movie! Now that is actual cinema release worthy.
While it probably wouldn't surpass the artistic genius of Nolan or Scorsese, I have seen few Michael Bay that I enjoyed less than that! (But we are talking some seriously spiking that popcorn mate).
Oh, and love the Labs photo - they look smiling - I can't get my Jack to sit down for a second to take a photo.

Connect Moderator

Hi @MattGatlin 

Thanks for sharing this epilepsy-inducing video. I lasted less than 2 minutes before my brain said enough of this.

My comments and questions in random order:

In the beginning, it seems that you have been sharing a few vacation/beach images and a few recognizable faces (people posing for the camera). 

I noticed that a lot of your photos are in the 3:4 format.

At the very start, YouTube showed only low-res images, but after a few seconds, the quality got restored. 

Normally I think sharing only one image to each pin is best, but here it felt good to see places where you shared more images to the same pin. It gave my brain something to catch and some rest.

You live in an area with great and sunny weather. 

How much storage space does your original video take up?

What tools did you use to create the video?

Thinking aloud:

It is beyond incredible how well our brains can pick up on visual information from images seen for only 1/24 of a second. 

Do you think Local Guides who are into photos have a special spatial and visual awareness?

When moving around in real life I often notice how well I'm able to navigate and predict what will show up further down the road. This is closely linked to areas that I photographed for Google Maps. So posting photos on Google Maps is a super supportive activity to keep our brains sharp and in particular the part of the brain dealing with navigation and recognition. So even though my brain has probably peaked (I'm 63 now) I feel good that this hobby helps keep parts of our brains up to speed.

I don't think I can pass by a place that I once photographed and not be able to recall this fact.  Likewise, when see one of my images on Google Maps when the photos are organized by views, my brain can quite accurately recall the location. I find this kind of scary, but also tremendously fascinating. If I see one of my Maps photos and not being able to recall the location, I get a bit worried!

Haha. I'm just thinking aloud here. But I would love to hear from you guys if you are experiencing something similar or different.

All the best

Morten

Level 10

Thanks @abermans for the kind and funny comments.

Yes it certainly is dizzying.

I like to think of it as my cinematic counterpoint to Andy Warhol's Empire.😆

Level 9

@MortenCopenhagen 

Es ergeht mir genau so, aber ich kann mich schon ein Leben lang gut orientieren und wo ich einmal war, finde ich die richtigen Wege wieder, es sei denn Baumaßnahmen hätten alles geändert.

Level 10

Thanks for giving it a look.

Level 10

Thanks, @MortenCopenhagen for giving it a test drive and for your observations and questions:

In the beginning, it seems that you have been sharing a few vacation/beach images and a few recognizable faces (people posing for the camera). 

Some of these were photos I took with a DSLR prior to being a LG/GM Contributor. One of the things I personally like about my contributions on GM is seeing the red pins pop up on the globe of all the places I've been. This inspired me to play "catch-up" by photo-tagging places I'd traveled to prior to being a LG - Naturally these were vacation photos so they included family members and not just locations. I think the oldest photo I've contributed was taken in 1998 with an actual film camera.

I noticed that a lot of your photos are in the 3:4 format.

These might have been ones I had taken with a 35mm film slr or dslr. There's also the possibility that these were photos that were originally downsized due to early storage limits.

At the very start, YouTube showed only low-res images, but after a few seconds, the quality got restored. 

This may be a playback cache issue. Sometimes when I play it, it will get lo-res, but if I pause it and back up a few seconds, the stuff that was lo-res looks better on the second viewing. Also- most "normal" video is much easier to digitally compress - the compression codec uses a shorthand that basically just tracks areas of each frame that stay the same or change from one frame to the next. With this video, each frame is wildly different from its neighbor so it really is a challenge for the compression codec to do much with it.

Normally I think sharing only one image to each pin is best, but here it felt good to see places where you shared more images to the same pin. It gave my brain something to catch and some rest.

I have a lot of places where I've taken more than one photo - sometimes I've even posted dozens of photos of a single place. I've also posted the exact same image to different POIs when it may be appropriate.

You live in an area with great and sunny weather. 

I used to live in Los Angeles, California. I now live in a much more rural place with a high incidence of hurricanes.

How much storage space does your original video take up?

The exported video file in H.264 1920x1080 24p is 1.96GB.

What tools did you use to create the video? 

I used Blackmagic Design's (free) DaVinci Resolve for the video. Once I got the settings tweaked for importing stills as individual single frames, I pretty much did a "select all" and dragged and dropped them into the timeline. They're arranged in alphanumeric order by filename, so there are some that are chronologically consecutive and many others that are not. I also used DaVinci Resolve for the titles.

Regarding your other comments, I feel much the same way you do about posting photos and keeping our brains sharp.

I'm not sure if every LG photog has the same navigational/spatial awareness/intuition or even a photographic memory, but I would guess that people who do possess these traits might be more attracted to the hobby of LG photography.

Thanks again for sharing your questions, comments and thoughts!

Matt

Connect Moderator

Hi @MattGatlin 

Thanks for your answers.  A single comment regarding "I've also posted the exact same image to different POIs when it may be appropriate."

According to the guidelines this is never okay.  

But you will be able to find guideline violations under all profiles prior to finding the guidelines.

All the best

Morten 

Level 10

@MortenCopenhagen 

Yeah, pretty much the only time I'll post the same picture is when the two POIs might overlap (like a photo of El Capitan for the El Capitan POI and also for the Yosemite National Park POI) - not really "repetitive" content in the context of spamming like the guidelines suggest.

Matt

Level 9

@MattGatlin,

Thank you for all the info. 

I used Blackmagic Design's DaVinci Resolve for the video.

I had been wondering about this.

Very cool idea.

And really interesting idea about spacial relationship. I think of myself as a pretty visual person; but on the other hand I have a terrible sense of direction. 

Alfred New
TRAC Badge