Giacomo_campa's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Single photo with huge number of views

Hello everybody,

I have a weird question: I have several photos on Google Maps, but there is a specific one which is getting a really high number of views since I uploaded it. I mean, the views are a lot more than of any other photo I uploaded anywhere in the world. Of course I'm not complaining, I was just curious and wanted to understand why it receives so many views!

This is the picture:

https://www.google.it/maps/@45.4719432,10.9743031,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipMYwh8aWfqou4e...

And it has almost 60.000 views, while other photos of the same place I sent only have like 1.000!

I don't know if any of you have any idea why, in any case thank you!

4 comments
Level 10

Re: Single photo with huge number of views

Hi @Giacomo_campa It is because the photo is outstanding :). If the picture is the face of a place, meaning when you open a restaurant for example and your picture is been used as the profile image of the restaurant, you would get massive views because when people search that place your photo is the first image to show. Not only that as well, in the Google map's for android photos are been featured on the homepage of the map in that particular area, so if your photo was fortunate enough to been used as featured photo, you will earn a lot of views. Pictures also do show on the web, in that respect you will earn views for that photo. When people also visit that particular place and start searching about that place you will earn views. Google too might feature your photo on their platform too as well or other various Google platform, in that way you will earn a lot of views. This are my few information and I hope it helps you too

Best Regards,

Samson

Level 7

Thanks for giving that answer, because I have had some images getting huge numbers of views... The thing I have found strange, they are not what I would call my "best shots"

All this is fairly new to me, and I thought I was doing well seeing this morning I had had 150,000 views in total... but then see some people are in the millions!

Guess I have a way to go!

I love photography!
Level 10

It is a pretty spectacular photo of Ongarine. For many restaurants, the Google Maps algorithms likes to feature on the front cover photo an accurate representation of the restaurant, really emphasising on the experience and the atmosphere of a place. For that photo, you have a foreground of chairs that people can sit on, that's always a good thing to include when it comes to uploading restaurant photos! In addition, you have a great background that captures the essence of the listing.

Excellent work. The best thing to do is to capture pictures of those listings that don't have any photo. They're usually the best to unearth, and the amount of views you can achieve in a few days can surprise you greatly. I know where I'll be going this weekend, hehe!

Level 9

@Giacomo_campa You may also want to look at the post by SveinR that goes into what he has learned on what pictures tend to rank. He is in a large city area with a big population so his views also can be high vs the same work in Northern Alaska. So he can learn a lot about what works and what does not. I am starting to believe that the algorithm to show the top picture changes with the type of business. Your example proves some of my thinking. In restaurants, they often pick up and feature the seating area that shows the ambiance of the place. For retail stores, they pick up on the front of the store more.  I have not been able to predict what shot will rank in advance at all. Some of it depends on how many other pictures are on the listing that you are competing with.

So far I have found that there is no difference in ranking with my Samsung cell phone shots vs Nikon d7100 shots. But I do find 360 shots do not usually outrank regular shots and video shots do not rank over the others.  For sites that have multiple tabs for pictures that change but does not affect the photo that shows up first.    Here in the states, it is amazing to me how high the views are at Asian restaurants and pizza restaurants get.  I can not figure out if local people keep searching for new places that create search traffic.

Happy hunting and try and find high traffic places with few photos.