Felicity_Perth's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Sharing photos to maps from desktop

Hi there.  Am I mistaken in understanding

- you can only share photos to maps from the phone app? 

Also any ideas why

- Google wants you  to "select a place" for the photo when it can already pinpoint where the photo was taken (in this case, it's wild garlic beside a river bank)

- Why doesn't it take the caption you gave the photo in the desktop?  I mean why rename it - or at least why not have the option to continue with the given caption without editing?

Perth, United Kingdom
6 comments
Googler

Re: Sharing photos to maps from desktop

Hi @Felicity_Perth. You can share photos from a computer to Google Maps. Please see this article in the Google Maps Help Center for more details. 🙂 Happy photographing and contributing!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 6

@TraciC Ah, thank you.  And sorry, I was editing my post while you replied fast!  The thing is, in this case I don't know exactly where the photo was taken because it was some wild garlic, beside a river bank which is useful for foragers/cooks to know!   But Google does know where it was taken and that is why I want to add from Photos which has the location already tagged and not from Maps.

But I see now in the article it is impossible anyway because of the limitation that you have to add photos to commercial premises and POIs.  

Does anyone have ideas about the reasoning behind that ?  I have useful (flat) photos about e.g. where to find wild garlic and where there are big steps that are useful for cyclists to know about, or where trail surfaces change and I just can't add them.  I am getting the feeling Google isn't interested in non-commercial or non-government sanctioned places.  I mean do we think that is that the case?  Or is that removed Mapmaker functionality hasn't been added in (yet)?

Googler

Hi @Felicity_Perth. JINX! 🙂 Currently, all contributions to Google Maps must be for a specific POI or point of interest so people know where they can find a place or in this case, that wild garlic. Perhaps you found it on the side of a road but if not, maybe it was inside a park or forest area and you can add that to Google Maps. 

You can learn more about adding photos to Google Maps and the policies in this post. Hope that is helpful. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 6

@TraciC Thanks for the info.  These locations (for e.g. wild garlic, or steps ) have to be more accurate than me guessing on a map where they were .   Besides, G knows really accurately where it was taken - I can see the location on the map for the photo inside Photos. That's the location I want to use.  I don't want to guess the location in Maps and add from there. It's a real shame but I'm not going to add photos while I have to make a photosphere to get round adding it to a POI, or if I have to go to outside of Photos and guestimate the location when I don't need to, or add a point of interest when I think you should be able to add a useful photo to something like a path for which Google happens not to have a category.  It has to be easier.

Googler

Hi @Felicity_Perth. I recommend sharing this feedback (about wanting to be able to share photos to a specific long/lat) under "Feedback & Feature Requests" so others can weigh in on your suggestion and we can share with the proper teams. You can also share the same feedback feedback directly in the app or on desktop, too.

Level 6

Thank you! 🙂