ThomasLoisReynaud's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Road Trip Route 66

My journey started, of course, in Chicago downtown. Close to the Route 66 starting sign there is a spectacular gathering spot: the Millenium Park.

IMG_9427.jpg
I'll see a lot of classic cars along the road, but the first scenic place dedicated to cars was in Joliet

IMG_9439.jpg
Arriving in Dwight, there is an old gaz station where I met very kind people there.

IMG_9444.jpg
Still in Illinois, the city of Pontiac offer many frescoes and a house bus.

IMG_9446.jpg
Atlanta (IL) is a typical and charming village

IMG_9462.jpg
A mill house in Lincoln (IL)

IMG_9463.jpg
A weird pickup truck in Maryland Heights, Missouri

IMG_9465.jpg
A lion in the famous Blueberry Hill. Chuck Berry played over 200 concerts at this place.

IMG_9480.jpg

Old rusty cars in Marshfield, Missouri

IMG_9490.jpg
The blue whale of Catoosa, Oklahoma

IMG_9493.jpg
Buck Atom's Cosmic Curios in Tulsa (OK)

IMG_9498.jpg
The round barn in Arcadia

IMG_9507.jpg
McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom in Weatherford

IMG_9519.jpg

Second Amendment Cowboy and Cadillacs in Amarillo, Texas

IMG_9529.jpg
A portion of Route 66 in Los Lunas, New Mexico

IMG_9545.jpg
Painted desert Indian center in Holbrook, Arizona

IMG_9547.jpg

Hackberry General Store (AZ)

IMG_9575.jpg

Pirate Cove Resort & Marina, Needles, California

IMG_9631.jpg

Shoes hung on a pipe at Venice Beach Boardwalk, Santa Monica (CA)

IMG_9690.jpg

Parkers' Lighthouse, Shoreline Village (CA)

IMG_9750.jpg

Crossing the United States from east to west on the mythical Route 66 is an interesting experience. I recommend you take at least two weeks and ideally three to fully appreciate this trip

Thomas Reynaud
USA
15 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Road Trip Route 66

Wow the photos that you posted here look awesome @ThomasLoisReynaud, thank you for sharing them with us. I have a zillion questions. How long did it take you to do it? What did you like the most? Which was the most interesting restaurant in your way? Any tips? Secret places? If you could add some information would be great. I'm sure many other Local Guides would be interested to learn as well.

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

I really enjoyed your post and beautiful photos about your Route 66 (known as America's Mother Road) trip @ThomasLoisReynaud.  Thank you so much for sharing.

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
Level 6

Thank you so much @VasT  for your kind message!

It took me two weeks but three would have been more suited to better take the time and enjoy.

I really liked Saint Louis, Missouri. There is many interesting restaurant on the way... Particularly for those who loves meet I recommend the Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo. You can feel a very typical atmosphere over there. Of course there is a lot of places to eat tasty pizza like in Tulsa, sweet Hot Dogs among others in Chicago and big & tasty burgers in Pontiac, for example.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover the Pirate Cove Resort & Marina in Needles, California.

Thomas Reynaud
Level 6

You're very welcome @AdamGT 

Thomas Reynaud
Connect Moderator

Thank you for taking us on a tour with you, @ThomasLoisReynaud! I have heard many stories of the unique stops and finds across that famous US road. These highlights reaffirmed how cool it actually is. 

Which stop or city along the route would you want to go back and spend more time in?

#TeamUSA USA | My Contributions | Instagram | @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 6

Thanks for asking @JordanSB!

I really d'love to go back in Saint Louis and have enough time to visit the city and the countryside all around.

Thomas Reynaud
Level 8

@ThomasLoisReynaud  very interesting post!!!

Level 6

Thank you so much @Male2019 

Thomas Reynaud
Connect Moderator

So many fun things to do in the are from food and drink tours, sightseeing destinations, any activity on or near the river, and fun parks right outside it all, @ThomasLoisReynaud!

#TeamUSA USA | My Contributions | Instagram | @Mention me so I see your reply