Rohlik's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Review not posted with inaccurate reason and without possibility to appeal

During my trip to the beautiful city of Krakow (Poland) 😍, I noticed a missing place on Google Maps – the absence of public toilets 🚻 which was nearby me.

Determined to improve this situation, I decided to add these public toilets to Google Maps, and I did so on the same day.

The submission was successfully approved, and shortly after, it began appearing on Google Maps (link to the Google maps).

A few days later, I even added my photo to enhance the listing.

Since I personally used that toilet and had a valuable experience to share, I decided to write a review for this location. To my surprise, my review was rejected without the possibility of any appeal 😧.

The reason provided for the rejection is rather peculiar 🙄 and, to be honest, inaccurate. Please take a look at the attachment for more details.

I'm left wondering, how can I defend my review and ensure it gets published? Your help and guidance would be greatly appreciated 🙏.

PS: My review complies with the rules  and I even tried to wait another 14 days to repost my review, but without any positive effect.

Image with reason why my review was rejectedImage with reason why my review was rejected

Kraków, Poland
7 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Review not posted with inaccurate reason and without possibility to appeal

Hi @Rohlik 

This sounds like a geographic and temporary block to stop spammers. It might be due to other factors and not be your fault. This kind be of block is clearly explained in the guidelines.

That said, another guideline related to what places can be added to Google Maps could be at play here. Places need to have a distinct name. Just repeating the category or naming the toilet after the location is not okay according to @Flash. I haven't seen this in the official guidelines but we have Flash's word for it.

I mentioned the local blocks in 
- Understanding Regional Editing Restrictions

All the best

Morten 

Level 10

Thank you @MortenCopenhagen to taking time with your answer 😊.

There are few things to consider:

1. In real world, public restrooms doesn't have any fancy name and thus name will be almost everytime "public restrooms" or its variants.
  2. If there is some problem with that place itself, then I would expect that:
    1. Google would reject my initiative to add this place in the first place.
    2. Added photo to this place would have similar issue as my review. 
  3. Block spammers even in this situation where there is no activity for this place 🤔?

Thoughts above let me think that, in this specific example, there is an error on Google side and I do not have any way how to appeal 😥.

Connect Moderator

@Rohlik 

I very much agree with you. I do also add public restrooms when I see one that is not on Maps and I have a photo.

If Google really wanted to not have public toilets on Maps they could remove them and remove these categories. And from my experiences as a Maps user getting help finding a restroom can be really helpful. 

I wanted to loyally inform you about the rules, but breaking them is what I also do. It just makes more sense. And I take note of Google actions more than unwritten rules. 

You won't be able to know if there are unusually active spammers in this area because most spam get caught even before it is published. 

It might be political activists who misuses Maps to communicate their propaganda or harm local businesses by creating fake competition and writing false reviews. I remember once when a central park and famous squares in Copenhagen had thus block for months. This was really annoying and made it impossible to add any new legit places. 

Cheers

Morten 

Level 4

Can't post a review nor appeal

I'm trying to post a review about a restaurant I didn't have good time at, but the review is getting flagged with no explanation and no option to appeal.

Screenshot_20231019_233946_Maps.jpg

Connect Moderator

Re: Can't post a review nor appeal

Hi @Mmike 

This same problem was already discussed here

So I moved your post there.

All the best

Morten 

Level 10

@MortenCopenhagen I agree with you that public restrooms ‌🚻‌ as a category are very handy, especially when you are in a foreign city and even I rely on them.
Mine and @Mmike's reviews have something in common thing - both are negative. So, it is probably unrelated to the category as his one is for the restaurant.
At first sight, it almost seems that Google is blocking negative reviews 🤔. I hope I'm wrong, on the other hand.
I really wish that some Googler could step in and share with us the real reason why our reviews are rejected.

Connect Moderator

@Rohlik 

Google will not explain the exact reasons. I have never seen it his happen. 

The best way to learn more is to make observations following your actions try to learn from what happens. 

But again this is due to spam activity in an area and most likely not something caused by your actions.

Please try adding a review is an other area. And share what you find 

Cheers

Morten