EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

RECAP: Accessible Lagos (WAW)

As part of the Worldwide Accessible Walk (WAW). We had our Lagos Meet on Saturday 1st December 2018 in the high brow area of Victoria Island.

This area is known for its expatriates community, popular retail store, British International School, banking headquarters, cinema and game houses. 

Caption : Local Guides holding the Accessibility Sign and Local Guides flag at the Palms Mall in LagosCaption : Local Guides holding the Accessibility Sign and Local Guides flag at the Palms Mall in Lagos

Our meeting point was the famous Palms Mall which houses some top international retail brands, cinema hall, eateries, clothing lines, Jewelers and service providers. There's a train ride for kids within the mall and it surely attracted children and teenagers. 

From the gate, one could see the construction work was free of obstacles that may obstruct free movement for people with less mobility but no sign of accessibility.

The Mall has accessible entrance, restrooms, elevator and signs to help navigate inside the complex. ( see Review)

I meet with the manager of the Mall to inform him of the need to have a marked parking space and accessibility sign at the main gates too.

Caption: A restroom door with accessibility signCaption: A restroom door with accessibility sign

Caption: A direction sign showing the way to an accessible restroom at the Palms Mall LagosCaption: A direction sign showing the way to an accessible restroom at the Palms Mall Lagos

We later assessed a pedestrian bridge at the Sandfill bustop to know if it was made with the differently able in mind. Here is what we saw.

Caption: Pedestrian bridge with steep steps and metallic rail at Sandfill Bus Stop in LagosCaption: Pedestrian bridge with steep steps and metallic rail at Sandfill Bus Stop in Lagos

20181202_214458.png

We later got some refreshment at the lounge which has several eateries present in one location. We had pizza and some ice cream. 

Then with available free high speed WiFi we uploaded several photos, reviewed outlets, took 360 photos and talked about accessibility features.

Three new Local Guides attended our Meetup for the first time. One on one practical on how to add locations, edit a wrong name and marker adjustment were explained to the new LGs.Caption: Local Guide Lydia holding an accessibility sign  attended a meeting for the first time.Caption: Local Guide Lydia holding an accessibility sign attended a meeting for the first time.

Caption: New Local Guide, Lewis, learned how to add a new location to the maps for the first time.Caption: New Local Guide, Lewis, learned how to add a new location to the maps for the first time.

Caption: Local Guide, Abdul, explaining to a new Local Guide, Ayo, how to upload his drone images on the mapCaption: Local Guide, Abdul, explaining to a new Local Guide, Ayo, how to upload his drone images on the map

Caption: L-R Local Guides Emeka, Vera, Lewis, Abdullahi, Ayo and Lydia at the Palms in LagosCaption: L-R Local Guides Emeka, Vera, Lewis, Abdullahi, Ayo and Lydia at the Palms in Lagos

Check out some nice and funny photos taken during our Meetup and do let us know what you think. WAW Lagos Album

Here's a short video of our Meetup too

I want to appreciate the dedicated Local Guides who joined us and others across the world hosting similar Meet ups to foster inclusiveness.

@Vera_chidera @LewisOmike @Abdullahi_cap @geektutor 

@Lydia1 

Xoxo

Lagos, Nigeria
4 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: RECAP: Accessible Lagos (WAW)

Hey @EmekaUlor,

Thanks for your recap! Well done for creating awareness around accessibility. 😊 I hope the changes you've asked for at the mall will be implemented. 

That said, I'm curious to know what could be done to improve mobility in public places, like the pedestrian bridge?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Hi @AlexaAC , the manager pledged to  ensure its done but I have taken note of these places which will receive a next line of action, as we commence  Alliance for Accessibility (A4A) project..

For the pedestrian bridge, it was one of the older bridges in the Lekki axis, the new ones have accessibility options. Also, we'll follow up action through A4A! 

Former Google Contributor

Excellent @EmekaUlor, so glad to hear that! 

Well done!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 1

Hey, it was really a nice experience.

Thanks @EmekaUlor @