dmizer's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Problem with category in Japan

Hello,

Here in Japan, there is a very common attraction all over Japan called a michinoeki (道の駅). Literally translated, this means "road station" or "roadside station" where station means train station. This is a type of market catering to people traveling by car. They sell regional produce and other foods. They also sell regional crafts among other things. There are also usually restaurants, community centers, dog runs, promote local tourist attractions, and other various activities for people on road trips. They vary in size and scope but they always sell local goods of some kind, and they always have some kind of tourist information available.

I used to mark these as "Rest area", but that category is no longer available in Japan. As a result, it seems that many people are marking them with a category of "Toll road rest stop". This is a big problem because these michinoeki are never on toll roads. Clearly this could be a very confusing situation for many travelers, and was for me the first time I saw it. Recently, I've been marking them as "Market" since that's the best description I can find in the hidden list of categories. However, someone seems to be going back through after me and changing them back to "Toll road rest area". Further, this attraction is so incredibly common all over Japan, that there's no way I can personally go through these and keep changing them.

I'm not too sure how to address this troublesome and confusing issue. Any advice?

Japan
11 comments
Level 7

Re: Problem with category in Japan

You can send feedback to Google about the categories available in your language version by choosing "Send feedback" then "Other feedback", describing the change that you are proposing and submitting the form.

Level 6

Thank you for the tip. It was a little difficult to find the feedback link, but I've submitted the form. Hopefully something comes of this.

Connect Moderator

Hi, @dmizer

I'm Japanese:-)

We have to think about this problem together with you.
Thank you for sharing!

Level 6

Thanks Takisawa san.

I have been marking them as "market" any time I see them, but I still think this is wrong. They are markets, but they are also tourist information centers, and that would be important to know for an English speaking traveler in Japan.

Connect Moderator

Hi, @dmizer

I think "道の駅" is very important place for drivers in Japan.

We are talking about this problem here.

A person said "道の駅" is close to a "Shopping mall". However, I think it is not fit as well.

For example, how do you think "Roadside rest area"? 

Level 7

@HiroyukiTakisawa @dmizer
"Roadside Rest Area" seems to be the most commonly used word for Michi no Eki in English.
It doesn't start to really cover the full scope of what they have to offer but I think it may be the best way to describe them.

At first I was thinking something along the lines of "Roadside Farmer's Market" but that doesn't really do them justice either.
As long as the category is consistent people will figure out what it means through word of mouth, reviews, and research on the internet.

Level 6

@HiroyukiTakisawa @Christine_T

Yes, "roadside rest area" or even "road station" would be best, I think. I'm not sure how google handle's this, but think the bigger problem is how to make guides aware of the category.

Level 10

@dmizer

This is also true for many other countries including India.

Best wishes

Connect Moderator

@dmizer

Yes, you're right. We need that function soon!

@ProfArunCM@Christine_T