anu7spice's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Pinnacles: a park formed by volcanoes

Located about 2 hours away by car, Pinnacles National Park is a great getaway from the San Francisco, Bay Area. It’s a lesser known park in the National Park System, and is also the newest one where California is concerned. Pinnacles is really a beauty, just as much as the other parks.

20200123_094413_copy_2620x1965.jpg

Caption: A Welcome to Pinnacles National Park sign with the NPS crest

Many millions of years ago, volcanoes erupted, lava slid and formed what is now known as Pinnacles National Park. There are woodlands, rare talus caves, turkey vultures and the impressive California condor. I was of the belief that I saw some majestic condors flying high above the high peaks, only to find out later that they were instead turkey vultures.

20200123_143014_copy_2620x1965.jpg

Caption: Turkey vultures flying above a peak with a tall tree in the foreground

Some of the activities you can get into at Pinnacles include: hiking, rock climbing, bird watching and camping. One of my favorite trails there is the High Peaks to Bear Gulch Loop. It’s a challenging 6.7 miles round trip hike that takes you high into the peaks, and down through beautiful meadows. 

20200123_125430_copy_2620x3493.jpg

Caption: Pegman enjoying the view of the high peaks while leaning against a d-slr 

20200123_111926_copy_2620x3493.jpg

Caption: Stairs with a rail and surrounding rocks inside of the bear gulch cave

20200123_122804_copy_2620x1965.jpg

Caption: local guide Tessa on the High Peaks Trail wearing a sun hat and polarized sunglasses 

Due to its steep and rocky terrain, trail access for people with mobility issues is limited. Provisions were made to a section of the Bench trail to enable wheelchair access and with that, great views of the high peaks. 

I can hardly wait to revisit this splendid park. In the meantime, I’ll cherish the memories from my previous trip there. I hope you’ll enjoy these photos too, and one day get to visit Pinnacles.

20200123_144404_copy_2620x1965.jpg

Caption: An expansive view of the western end of the park showing the pinnacles and a number of oak trees

Are you an outdoors person? What’s your favorite park or place to take in the wonders of nature? Maybe I’ll get a chance to visit them too! ?

Pinnacles National Park, California, USA
4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Pinnacles: a park formed by volcanoes

Had never heard of this park before - and with it only being a 2-hour drive from San Fran, I'll definitely be adding this to my to-do list the next time I'm in the bay area. Great photos and recap on your experience here, @anu7spice. I have only scratched the surface on different state and national parks that I'd really love to visit. As far as myself, being that I've only scratched the surface, here are a few photos of my first time at Muir Woods last May. Absolutely loved it. 

View of small waterway flowing at Muir WoodsView of small waterway flowing at Muir Woods

Tall trees into the sky at Muir WoodsTall trees into the sky at Muir Woods

A downed tree among greenery next to a river at Muir WoodsA downed tree among greenery next to a river at Muir Woods

A sign that says "Canopy View Trail" at the base of a concrete stairway heading up.A sign that says "Canopy View Trail" at the base of a concrete stairway heading up.

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 8

Wow! Fabulous pictures, @SP31! You might be surprised to learn that I still haven't yet visited Muir Woods 🤦🏾‍♀️. That's one of the first things I would like to do after restrictions are lifted. What was your favorite thing about the park? Any area you loved best?

As for Pinnacles, definitely put it on your list of places to visit! I'll even invite myself when you decide to go, lol. Just kidding (or maybe not 🤔😂).

I got addicted to the NPs after visiting the Grand Canyon. It is my dream to visit all of them 🙂. Have you been to all three in Florida? 

Connect Moderator

😱 say what, @anu7spice !? Definitely make it one of the first things once this has reduced drastically - I think my favorite part is the lushness of the park before you spread off into the trails. Tons of great photos and so beautiful. I only had the chance to explore only a bit of what I wanted to, so I'll definitely be going back there as well as Pinnacles, which you are definitely invited to 😁.

As far as Florida, I've only been to Everglades - the other two I think require a boat ride or some way of using water to get to it so I haven't journeyed there yet haha.

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 8

Haha, I know right?! Smh. I have to right that wrong asap @SP31

I have a love for lush, green parks too. Glad you got to experience that. Hopefully you'll get to explore more of it when you're back on this side. 

Everglades is so fun. I miss it there. I did a little bit of Biscayne but have never visited Dry Tortugas. One day 🙂