Anonymous's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Photos review

How are photos which are uploaded to Google Maps reviewed, or aren't they reviewed at all? Lots of time individuals upload their passports or a picture of themselves to Google maps and surprisingly they get accepted, sometimes when inappropriate photos are uploaded first, they become the face of the listing on Google maps, Now thats what I call a Bug. 

Enugu, Nigeria
8 comments

Accepted Solutions
Googler
Solution

Re: Photos review

I wouldn't go as far as name-calling as some people may not be familiar with Google Maps' photo policy but there are checks in place to help keep the content on Google Maps relevant. If you do find a photo that violates the policy, please do flag it for removal as others have noticed. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.

View solution in original post

Level 7

Hi @Anonymous absolutely, this is now a big problem. 

Some idiot upload's inappropriate photos to google maps.

But as a local guide you can report inappropriate image's in Google map. Google delete images if they find it wrong. 

Screenshot_2016-07-22-22-43-01-01.jpeg

Connect Moderator

Yeah the photos uploaded to Maps don't go through much vetting, so if the user is irresposible, sometimes we encounter improper / unrelated photos. Best thing to do is to report the images for removal.

Googler
Solution

I wouldn't go as far as name-calling as some people may not be familiar with Google Maps' photo policy but there are checks in place to help keep the content on Google Maps relevant. If you do find a photo that violates the policy, please do flag it for removal as others have noticed. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 9

My observation is that photos with people's faces are typically rejected. The algorithm that detects faces with Street View must be similar to the processing of uploaded pictures. This became apparent one time when I tried to upload a picture of a local KFC restaurant. No matter what I did, it would not accept it. The reason became apparent later on when I realised that the face on the logo was causing the problem.

Jeff Muir
Admin - Global Guides
Level 8

Hi to all. 

Okay you report a photo that is poor focus,wrong place etec etec. What does google do with my notice. Just curious as having reported a pic not worthy of posting. 

Rusty. 

@mohitc wrote:

Hi @Anonymous absolutely, this is now a big problem. 

Some idiot upload's inappropriate photos to google maps.

But as a local guide you can report inappropriate image's in Google map. Google delete images if they find it wrong. 

Screenshot_2016-07-22-22-43-01-01.jpeg

Level 9

i'd like to know as well if you ever get an update on photos we flagged. i went through a bunch last night of i don't even know what these pictures were supposed to depict as it was taken at night time so very pitched black

Level 7

In response to JeffM KFC photos. Logos should be avoided in photos from what I have read (algorithm rejects it). The current top photo in our HEB local grocery store has faces of both adults and minors. I am pretty sure permission was not asked of the parents of the minors for this photo. Most all of the photos I have taken for Google Maps avoid faces since as a Local Guide I am trying to display a photo of the outside of place a viewer is interested in. This is easy enough to do in a rural community, but much more difficult for those in heavily populated areas. 

Level 1

I just opened up Google Maps to look at my hometown, Baytown, Texas, and noticed that the marquee picture in the upper left hand corner of the page of a large, light brown stone building was unfamiliar. I do not believe this building is located in Baytown, Texas, as the placement suggests.