Sophia_Cambodia's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Phnom Thbeng Meanchey, the mighty land, campers’ dreamland

Phnom Thbeng Meanchey [the mighty Keruing {Dipterocarpus} mountain] located in Thbeng Meanchey district, Preah Vihear province. It is about 15km from Preah Vihear provincial town. PTM is like sword stretches from Kulen district to Thbeng Meanchey district (from Google Map, it looks like a jumping cat/tiger). There are many things up on the mountain and many other potential attractions are still hidden. PTM is one of the top camping sites in Cambodia. It is still very authentic and new to many visitors. The mountain is 25,269.41hectars in size and there are many ways to go up the mountain.

1. Walk up the 1,345 steps stair (600m in height) from Kulen at Wat Dombok Khmao point up (map is here)​. It is located in Preah Klaing commune, Thbeng Meanchey district, Preah Vihear province. It is about 280km from Phnom Penh city and through national road #62. From Siem Reap, it is 100km (Trapeang Russey commune of Kompong Thom province). 
  2. Hike from Sethakech village, 400m up with high difficult hiking trails (map is here). Area covered for this site only has 10 caves with bats, 05 waterfall areas which have 3 to 6 steps, big trees, 03 ancient pagodas, big plat stone, worship cottage of Lork Ta Soung, wildlife sometimes and gibbon sound in the morning.  
  3. Hike from Bakkam village, 400m up with medium difficult hiking trails (map is here). Area covered for this site only has 02 caves with bats, 02 big waterfalls and several areas of waterfall, big trees, big stone like umbrella, grass field, big tree, sunset, wildlife sometimes and gibbon sound in the morning.  
  4. From Dataveuk community, Mohaphal village, 400m up with medium difficult hiking trail. Area covered for this site only has 03 caves with bats, 03 waterfall areas with 2 to 3 meters heights, big plat stone, wildlife sometimes and gibbon sound in the morning.  
  5. Another way, people can hike from Kulen district (need to figure it out and go in the next trip!)

Each of these areas have different potentials such as caves, temples, waterfalls, and landscape view.

The mountain is best for camping, stargazing and of course forest trekking and hiking.

Potential attractions of Phnom Tbeng Meanchey for tourists such as:

• Camping sites,
  • Viewing lookout for sunset &sunrise
  • Swimming in the waterfalls, Ta Ma waterfall, Anlung Svay waterfall, Kondol Sar waterfall, small waterfalls
  • Seeing mountain view and caves,
  • Visiting pagoda, having picnic and more.
  • Meditation & yoga area. Please note this mountain is home to the mighty lokta Suong, believed the walking divine who could heal all kinds of disease. Thai people really believe and respect in his power [he has passed away] so often they are coming to visit his home. from Sethakech village, they are going to build the big temple to dedicate to Lok Ta Suong. Whatever you ask and wish, they believe Lok Ta Suong can grant them.

It is best to go with the local guides who know the sites and location very well. 

You can contact those sites in advanced to arrange your trip or just walk in.

Price list:

• Entrance fee: no
  • Guiding fee: 10$/day (up to 5-6 people in the group)
  • Food: 3.5-4$/meal
  • Backpack carrying fee: 10$/bag (10-15kgs max.)
  • Tent for rent: 10$/night/2 pax

Nearby attractions

• Koh Ker temple, the only Pyramid temple in Cambodia
  • Preah Khan Kompong Svay temples
  • Preah Vihear temples
  • Preah Nimith waterfall
  • Betreed adventures, the treehouse homestay
  • Phnom Thnot ecotourism site

My visit to the waterfall in Oct 2020 while it was still raining so hard!My visit to the waterfall in Oct 2020 while it was still raining so hard!

Exploring Phnom Thbeng Meanchey from Bakkam villageExploring Phnom Thbeng Meanchey from Bakkam village

Thbeng Meanchey Mountain viewed from Google. It looks like a cat to me!Thbeng Meanchey Mountain viewed from Google. It looks like a cat to me!

Local guides at Chak Angre Community Based Tourism will lead you to the hidden attractions on the mountainLocal guides at Chak Angre Community Based Tourism will lead you to the hidden attractions on the mountainWild flowers on my way up the mountainWild flowers on my way up the mountainWild flowers, good time to see is October and NovemberWild flowers, good time to see is October and NovemberCamping in Preah Vihear - 3hours from Siem ReapCamping in Preah Vihear - 3hours from Siem Reap

Me, visting Phnom Thbeng Natural Heritage Park early last year!Me, visting Phnom Thbeng Natural Heritage Park early last year!

Kulén, Cambodia
18 comments
Level 3

Re: Phnom Thbeng Meanchey, the mighty land, campers’ dreamland

Какие чудесные виды, удивительно прекрасные места

Connect Moderator

Thank you my friend, pleased you love the post @VNikaV 

Please do not forget to type "@"before local guide's name when you want to talk to them so that they will receive your notification. Best wishes!

Level 8

Very very beautiful place.The captured are very marvellous @Sophia_Cambodia ji.

Connect Moderator

Appreciated your reading and beautiful words of appreciation @DebadattaMeher hope all is well there!

Level 9

Nice to see your post about Phnom Thbeng Meanchey! It looks amazing and the photos are so lovely @Sophia_Cambodia 

Level 9

Thanks a lot for sharing this nice post with detailed information and amazing photos @Sophia_Cambodia You are presenting Cambodia in a very nice way in your posts. I love to read your post and to see the beautiful photos you add to your post. Stay safe. 

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

Your continual supports means a lot to me @MukulR so happy as always you spent time to read and write comment. Some of the photos are from previous albums because I almost run out of space. There are more articles to share!

Level 10

Thank you @Sophia_Cambodia  for your details explanation and I love the waterfall.

Keep calm, stay healthy and always be happy.

Tag (@BudiFXW) in your post or comment, I will happily to connect with you.