cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

One Random Act of Kindness As A Hobby On Google Maps

Hello Citizens of the World,

Namaste!!

I am Prateek Agarwal from Kolkata, India and I have been a Local guide since 2017. My niche is food and travel. I am a food blogger by passion and I love to review eateries, hotels and places of interests. I like to bring out “Perfect to the T” information on Google Maps via reviews, answering questions and adding photos.

Being a Local Guide comes with a huge responsibility. A huge social responsibility of putting in data that is relevant and worthy of usage. The data that is posted on Google is being watched by a Billion people worldwide. Imagine, billions of places being watched by billions of people around the World, and you write or put one misleading information, it might ruin someone’s day. Imagine being given wrong directions in a place that you don’t know. Thanks to Google Maps, we have the directions thing sorted, but places with incorrect information can be such a turn-down for someone.

One day, my friend called me and said about his experience in one of the hotels he had stayed in. The hotel website had some swanky pictures of rooms and washrooms attached to it. He booked the hotel based on these photos and couple of reviews found on TripAdvisor or like search engines. But to his dismay, the rooms were cramped and dingy and the washrooms used to stink. He showed me pictures to prove that. Even Google Maps had good images of the hotel. From then on, my each review on hotels, have pictures of rooms, washroom, accessibility options, amenities, ambiance, food, swimming pool, linen etc. based on the amenities the hotel has on offer. Here are some of the snaps that I have shared over Google Maps of hotels up close:Wheelchair/Child Pram Friendly Hotel PropertyWheelchair/Child Pram Friendly Hotel Property

Washroom Up Close with AmenitiesWashroom Up Close with Amenities

Eco Friendly Newspaper Delivery At RoomEco Friendly Newspaper Delivery At Room

Extra Workshops and Social Media Handles of a HotelExtra Workshops and Social Media Handles of a Hotel

Unclear/Opaque Washroom Mirror (Of literally no use)Unclear/Opaque Washroom Mirror (Of literally no use)

Restaurants nowadays, have drool-worthy pictures of their dishes, so much so that you would want to immediately go and grab one. But in reality, the taste may not be that great. So giving authentic reviews is always helpful, although I love to share food related pictures. Following are some of the food related pictures that I have clicked and shared on Google Maps, because I love clicking food pictures before gorging them.Baked Cheesy Nachos - Echoes, KolkataBaked Cheesy Nachos - Echoes, Kolkata

Veg Manchow Soup - Kouzina Marine, KolkataVeg Manchow Soup - Kouzina Marine, Kolkata

Cheese Fondue - Irish House, KolkataCheese Fondue - Irish House, Kolkata

Chocolate Freakshake - SlyFox Gastro Pub, KolkataChocolate Freakshake - SlyFox Gastro Pub, Kolkata

Moreover, removing spammy content from Google Maps and reporting unnecessary images from Google Maps have become my part time hobby. Here are stuffs that I have reported earlier:Unclear, Selfie taken and Uploaded on MapsUnclear, Selfie taken and Uploaded on Maps

Random Image Uploaded for a Google Maps ListingRandom Image Uploaded for a Google Maps Listing

Another Random Image Uploaded for a Google Maps ListingAnother Random Image Uploaded for a Google Maps Listing

All things combined together, makes me compelled to write genuine reviews and add good quality photographs, so that someone, somewhere, might use this information and get benefited from it. This is my one random act of kindness on the Internet. My commitment is to keep Google Maps spam free and precise and to inspire others to do the same.

P.S.: The images are screenshots of my uploads on Google Maps for authentication purposes. 

Prateek Agarwal
Kolkata, West Bengal, India