MariaNgo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

November in Melbourne, Australia

Melbournians are beginning to enjoy more freedom in November 2021. We are now able to gather in larger groups outdoors. With these new freedoms, I organised walks and lunch meetups with friends and participated in a meetup that a fellow local guide had organised at seaside Mordialloc near the marina . As you can see from the photos, boats (on land and in the water) as well as signs, railway stations and especially toilets caught my interest on this walk. The latter item is one that I dutifully record whenever I am out – because it is an important public service to the community for people to know where to find one when they need it and what to expect. 

Local guides in Mordialloc - photos by LG Maria NgoLocal guides in Mordialloc - photos by LG Maria Ngo

There was also a man dressed in a black and red checked shirt that matched the colour of the Cherry Ripe (a type of popular confectionary) he was eating while perched on a log that was too good to pass by without a photo.

During this month I was able to add more photos and reviews of shopping centres, cafes and restaurants to Google Maps (finally!). This included a focus on accessibility. What I also did notice was that the shopping centres were less crowded than pre-2020 times. There were a lot more free parking spots available in the shops even at lunch time. Unfortunately, many businesses have closed down during our extended lock-downs in Victoria.

During one of these outings, I noticed that the whole inside space of the café was unoccupied. But then, it was a beautiful day and the few patrons that were there on this Tuesday afternoon, preferred dining outdoors under the shady umbrellas where they could also enjoy the view. That was where we sat to dine on our fish and chips under the watchful gaze of seagulls on a visit to Williamstown.

November is a beautiful time to visit the Williamstown Botanic Gardens.  The fox gloves are in bloom and there is a freshness to new growth in the garden. It is not a large garden but an inviting and relaxing one to be in if you are in the area. Also, if you have never seen a giant rhubarb, that can grow taller than an adult, there is at least one clump in the garden near the Edwardian ornamental pond. At various times of the year, you can see bulbs like daffodils and irises come into bloom. The formal palm avenue reminded me of the row of palm trees at Catani Gardens in St Kilda.

Timeball tower, Williamstown Botanic Gardens, Bay Trail, Williamstown - photos by LG Maria NgoTimeball tower, Williamstown Botanic Gardens, Bay Trail, Williamstown - photos by LG Maria Ngo

According to the Hobsons Bay City Council, the Williamstown Botanic Gardens was opened in 1860 and is listed on the “Victorian Heritage Register as significant for their historical, aesthetic, scientific (horticultural) and social significance to the state of Victoria. They are also listed on the National Register and classified by The National Trust of Australia (Vic.)”

There are huge old well-maintained trees near the main entry which are just picture-perfect on a fine day.

From the gardens we stroll along the Bay Trail. This trail gives you clear unhindered views of Port Philip Bay. I see a sign warning of snakes in the area. Yes, this is Melbourne, and where there is any open ‘bushland’ of sorts, you must stay alert to our local reptilian inhabitants – especially as the weather warms up. With clear skies and few trees along this trail, it is a good idea to wear a hat, sunglasses and even sunscreen, while enjoying the beautiful sunny mild day.

We pass the Williamstown Timeball Tower on the way to Nelson Place which is the main dining strip in Williamstown. From the Botanic Gardens to Atomic Bar and Restaurant is an easy 3km walk across flat terrain.

The Hobsons Bay City Council tells us that, “The Timeball Tower was a means whereby ships could accurately set their chronometers with accuracy being essential for successful navigation on long ocean voyages. At precisely 1.00pm each day, the ball at the top of the tower would descend slowly down its shaft.

“The Williamstown tower was built in 1849 of local bluestone. It was originally a lighthouse, and later served as a Timeball tower from 1861 to 1926.

“Many such towers were built, but they have not survived to anything like the degree that historic lighthouses have. Today, working Timeball towers are extremely rare. In addition to the one located at Point Gellibrand, there is a working Timeball tower at Greenwich in London, and only three others in the world. It is undoubtedly the jewel of historic Williamstown”.

Oldest Memorial drinking water fountain in Melbourne, lunch in Williamstown - photos by LG Maria NgoOldest Memorial drinking water fountain in Melbourne, lunch in Williamstown - photos by LG Maria Ngo

If you enjoy architectural walks that include colonial era buildings that date from the 1830s, this website provides excellent information on the history of the area. It also includes information on the oldest memorial drinking fountain in Melbourne which was imported from Glasgow and inaugurated in 1876, and the customs house which is a great example of “conservative Classical revival style architecture” erected from 1873. Another worthwhile visit is the “Blunts Boatyard and Slipway (Nelson Place) which is a rare operating example of the many small scale boat-building and repairing businesses which have operated on the Williamstown foreshore from the 1850s on”. Also, with regards to the grand scale of the former Royal Hotel (85 Nelson Place), it “is a consequence of change to Victoria's licensing laws in 1877, which required hotels to have a minimum of 30 rooms of minimum dimensions to be licenced.”

Within this historical precinct is HMAS Castlemaine the restored Bathurst Class Corvette which is open to the public from 11am to 4pm on weekends and public holidays, apart from days of extreme heat (over 36°C).

Seaworks Maritime Precinct is a maritime museum that one can also visit. “The Seaworks site has been pivotal to Australia’s Maritime History as the place where the Enterprise set anchor during the foundation of Melbourne in 1835, the facility for ship repairs during World War II, and serviced and built vessels for the Port of Melbourne, Australia’s first independent port authority and busiest port operations.”

There is certainly a lot to see and do in this historical Williamstown Newport Foreshore area. We will no doubt have to return another day to Williamstown to experience the rest that we missed.

After lunch and some hazelnut ice-cream from The Ice Cream Shopp, we take the more direct and shorter walking route back to where we parked our car earlier that morning which is actually only 1 km away. This puts us in good time for a visit to the Werribee Park Mansion. 

Werribee Park Mansion - photos by LG Maria NgoWerribee Park Mansion - photos by LG Maria Ngo

Werribee Mansion is only 40 minutes’ drive even via the scenic route along the coast. It was unclear where we were to park for the mansion, but we worked out that the unpaved carpark near the Rose Garden was the place.  It is a short walk to the mansion through the ornate wrought iron gates.

We pass a lovely sundial on the way to the mansion and checked the time on it. Yes, it was accurate. There is a small charge (of $10.90 per adult at time of writing) for entry to the mansion with an additional cost for audio guides.

The mansion was constructed of basalt and sandstone and was completed in 1877 for the Chirnside family who made their fortune through wool. They were originally from Scotland. There are 60 rooms spread across several wings. It is built in the Renaissance Revival style.  

According to the Parks Victoria website “The fine interior includes some original furniture set within a richly decorated entry hall containing a Minton encaustic tiled floor, niches, Corinthian pilasters, and free-standing columns leading to a grand staircase. The main reception rooms, library and dining room are all classically ornamented.

“Despite the grandeur, expense, and status of the mansion, it remains a mystery as to who the designing architect was.

“The mansion was converted into a seminary in the 1920s, and the entire estate was then purchased by the State Government in 1977.

“You might recognise the striking exterior and opulent interiors of the Mansion as it has featured as a backdrop in some of Australia’s favourite film productions and television shows including Miss Fisher, Winchester, and Neighbours.”

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit there and highly recommend a visit to the park and mansion. There is an operating hotel onsite in the park, next to the mansion, the hotel is not open to the public.

We finished our day out with a visit to the famed Victoria State Rose Garden. This garden boasts a collection of over 5,000 roses. And it is free to visit! We had timed our visit well as it was just after Melbourne Cup Day when the roses are at their best. There is an annual show that runs over two days on the weekend following this famous horse race which is held on the first Tuesday in November. More information on the show can be found here.

Werribee Park Mansion and Victoria State Rose Garden - photos by LG Maria NgoWerribee Park Mansion and Victoria State Rose Garden - photos by LG Maria Ngo

Speaking of things to do in Melbourne during November, if you were to visit the wetlands near Glen Iris Park, you might spot damsel-flies zooming above the ducks paddling below the viewing platform. Gardiners Creek Trail between this park and Markham Reserve, takes you through some picturesque sections which include aged oak trees and quaint bridges that crisscross the creek which give you open views of the waterway. Nasturtiums, small purple and yellow orchids, plants with prickly seeds, oyster plants (also called bear’s breeches, acanthus mollis or sea dock) and also fluffy seeds of the native Australian clematis microphylla can be spotted among the greenery. November is also the time when tiny Japanese maple trees start germinating – you can sometimes see them in great numbers sprouting in gardens under a mature one. It is a good time to start propagating them as they will require some tender care to keep them from the hot weather just round the corner.

In November, Christmas décor start appearing in the shops and add to the joyous festive expectation. Sunsets along the beach in the Port Philip Bay area are spectacular. There will be many more opportunities to enjoy the warmer weather now. What better way to enjoy both with a picnic by the beach to watch the sun set! This is the last month of spring with average temperature ranging between min 11°C (52°F) and max 21°C (70°F).

Christmas decorations, along Gardiners Creek Trail, more food - photos by LG Maria NgoChristmas decorations, along Gardiners Creek Trail, more food - photos by LG Maria Ngo

This year for us, November was the time for weddings – and one could not have asked for a more perfect day at Poet’s Lane Receptions  for an outdoor garden ceremony.

It was also time to celebrate the end of high school VCE (Victorian Certificate of Education) as the school year in Australia starts essentially in February and ends in mid December, but those sitting for VCE (Year 12) finish earlier (i.e. in November). Our VCE student in the family had his valedictory celebration at SkyHigh Mount Dandenong Restaurant with the rest of his year level. This restaurant is famed for its panoramic views of the city. The drive to the restaurant takes us through beautiful lush fernery and towering mountain ash and other native eucalypts. 

November sunsets, wedding, soaring trees in the Dandenong Ranges, various cuisine, beef pho and rice paper rolls - photos by LG Maria NgoNovember sunsets, wedding, soaring trees in the Dandenong Ranges, various cuisine, beef pho and rice paper rolls - photos by LG Maria Ngo

Our more private family affair was at our favourite Thai restaurant – Ped’s Thai. Don’t let the worn signage give you consternation about the quality of the food here – we always leave the place thoroughly satisfied.

I had the opportunity to try out a new Vietnamese restaurant using Uber Eats vouchers also this November – Pho505. My Special Combination Beef Pho and Pork and Prawn Rice Paper rolls were delicious. 

Whether it is being outdoors immersed in nature that floats your boat, or indulging in fine dining or enjoying homely cuisine on the mountain top or by the water, or even doing some Christmas shopping, November is a beautiful time to explore Melbourne.

Sunset view from SkyHigh restaurant, orchids, Thai cuisine, city scape - photos by LG Maria NgoSunset view from SkyHigh restaurant, orchids, Thai cuisine, city scape - photos by LG Maria Ngo

Does the season change in your city/country like Melbourne? What are some popular activities that you would recommend for this time of year where you live? 

Places mentioned in the blog:

• Williamstown Botanic Gardens
  • Catani Gardens, St Kilda
  • Bay Trail
  • Williamstown Timeball Tower
  • Atomic Bar Restaurant
  • The Ice Cream Shopp
  • Williamstown
  • HMAS Castlemaine
  • Seaworks Maritime Precinct
  • Werribee Park Mansion
  • Victoria State Rose Garden
  • Gardiners Creek Trail
  • Poet’s Lane Receptions
  • SkyHigh Mount Dandenong Restaurant
  • Ped’s Thai Cuisine (restaurant)
  • Pho505 (restaurant)

Melbourne VIC, Australia
16 comments
Level 7

Re: November in Melbourne, Australia

Werribee Park Mansion is beautiful and preserved so well. It reminds me of Winchester Mystery House in San Jose. They might be built in the same era but Werribee has different atomosphere.

Level 10

Wow... dear friend @MariaNgo 

What a lengthy post...👍❤️

Great content...

Appreciate your dedication and passion...

Very contextual photos and they are beautiful too.

Thanks for sharing...

🤝❤️

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 10

Enjoyable response...

Thanks for sharing, fellow LG @willsonleecn 

Important TIP: Simply by typing the symbol @ before the User Name of an LG (as I have done above, to you), you can send a notification to the other member and that LG will come to know that you are talking to/addressing him - for more details, click 'Here'.

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 8

Rif.: November in Melbourne, Australia

Bellissimo post @MariaNgo ricco di dettagli. Un'ottima guida per chi potrà essere lì! È stata una gita impegnativa ma hai visitato dei posti bellissimi e la chiusura della giornata è stata perfetta con il giardino delle rose 👏👏

Level 10

@willsonleecn Yes you are right about the different atmosphere. I wonder whether it is because Winchester Mystery house as a tour was pitched as mysterious, slightly eerie, puzzling and tragic in some ways. 

Here at Werribee Park Mansion it was more about the life of the people at the time and even in one wing a bit of history of when it was used by the Catholic church. There was another section which had a display of the restoration work that was still going on in the place - done by volunteers using old fashioned equipment, tools and parts. It was wide, open spacious and fascinating. Thanks for reading. 

Level 10

@TravellerG Thanks for dropping by on my post. Glad you liked the post and photos. More coming up. 

Level 10

Thank you @PattyBlack  It was a perfect finish to the day - the Rose Garden. And the thing about that day trip was that I used Google Maps to help me plan the day. It was helpful being able to calculate distances etc to see if we would be able to walk that far etc and also using satellite imagery to see if it was going to be open trails or sheltered. In fact I plan to write another post about that experience. Yes, it was a perfect day. Beautiful weather and lovely food, company and sights! Couldn't have asked for more. 

Level 10

"...More coming up..."

That's great!!!

Hope you will remember to TAG me.

Regards, dear @MariaNgo 

🤝❤️

Level 8

è vero @MariaNgo Maps è un grande aiuto per pianificare le gite giornaliere e le vacanze, anche io utilizzo la simulazione dei percorsi che desidero fare così riesco a capire quante tappe fare e cercare i percorsi più veloci o con più attrazioni. Ottimo, non vedo l'ora di leggere il tuo prossimo post! ciao!