AdamGT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Nepal #4 - A photo taken at the top of the world

Caption: An above the clouds (5,450m) snap of Mt Everest (by @AdamGT)Caption: An above the clouds (5,450m) snap of Mt Everest (by @AdamGT)

I've been from one end of the world to the other.  From east to west and from north to south but when you reach the top of the world on foot like this, above the clouds with all the highest peaks of the world standing majestically before your own eyes, and you cannot see any buildings, cars, trees, pollution and so on, you feel so mortal and forget everything including the problems of the world thousands of feet below you.  It's a very humbling, amazing and exhilarating feeling.

I've used this photo in a number of posts before (see: Mt Everest, season 2019) however, I've never really said much about the photo so I thought now while in lockdown, I'd tell you a little more about it.  

At a height of 8,848 m (29,029 ft), Mt Everest is the highest mountain in the world and to take a photo like this while on Everest itself is hardly possible because of its sheer vertical height and you'd be trying to take the photo while looking vertically up it's face.  It would be like lying on the floor at your feet and trying to take a photo of your head, which is just impossible!  So you need to be some distance away and at the right height to snap such a photo.  To achieve this you need to summit a nearby peak and look horizontally straight at Everest rather than vertically up it's face.

One place that provides the most accessible closeup view of Everest is nearby mount Kala Patthar.  However, Kala Patthar, at 5,644.5 m (18,519 ft) is higher than Everest Base Camp at 5,364 metres (17,598 ft), so like at any high altitude, and this is very high altitude, you need to be well prepared when climbing Kala Patthar.  Because of the height you have to acclimatize well to safeguard yourself from altitude sickness.  Also, as well as taking plenty of water, you need to prepare well for the icy cold wind towards the top, and believe me it gets seriously cold towards the top. 

When talking about altitude, anything above around 1,500 metres (4,900 ft) is when it starts to affect humans.  Then at high altitude, above 2,400 meters (8,000 - 12,000 ft), the atmospheric pressure and the amount of oxygen in the air is lower than at sea level and this can cause very serious illnesses - altitude sickness, high altitude pulmonary edema, and high altitude cerebral edema!  This is when you must acclimatize, that is, adapt to the high altitude!  The next band from around 3650 meters (12,000 - 18,000 ft) is referred to as very high altitude and then above 8,000 metres (26,000 ft), extremely high altitude you're in the death zone, where it's too late to acclimatize and in fact, acclimatization becomes impossible.  

So to summit Kala Patthar at the very high altitude of 5,645 m required acclimatizing and for this, after flying from Kathmandu to Lukla (the most dangerous airport in the world), during the 2 weeks trekking from Lukla at an altitude of approximately 2,800 m to the high himalayas at altitudes of 5,600+ m I stopped several times and rested to acclimatize as I did for two days at the beautiful Sherpa village of Namche Bazaar: The gateway to the high Himalayas.  So allowing for acclimatizing it two weeks to get to the small village of Gorakshep at an elevation of 5,164 metres (16,942 ft) and located near Mt Everest.  It then took approximately 2 hours to summit Kala Patthar.  Fortunately the weather was pretty good but still at the top of Kala Patthar, the wind was deadly icy cold.  Armed with my pocket-sized Panasonic Lumix camera, no big camera here as you need to travel light when travelling at very high altitudes, I took my many photos including this one of Mt Everest.

As well as offering breathtaking views of Mt Everest, Kala Patthar offers spectacular views of the world's other tallest peaks such as Lhotse (8,516 m, 27,940 ft), Nuptse (7,861m, 25,791ft) and Changtse (7,583 m, 24,879 ft).  So you do end up taking lots of photos!

This was my first visit to Nepal and the high Himalayas at altitudes of 5,600+ m including the Mt Everest region.  It was more a reconnaissance expedition.  I spent a total of approximately 3 months and trekked approximately 600 kms.  The second time was an attempted Mt Everest summit but sadly we had to descend because of atrocious weather and my close friend developed severe altitude sickness as we entered the death zone.  He ended up at the Hillary Hospital in the town of Kunde!  I have many amazing stories and more photos to share on all this, so to be continued..... 

This is my 4th post about my journey through Nepal and will be continued.  To see part #3, visit Nepal #3 - Namche Bazaar: The gateway to the high Himalayas 
Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
42 comments
Level 9

Re: A photo taken at the top of the world

First of all of it is an amazing photo @AdamGT How many days you needed to take preparation to go to the Kala Patthar (Black Stone)? Please show us some photos of Kala Patthar one day. Thanks for sharing this nice post. 

Connect Moderator

Thank you for your appreciation @MukulR and given that this photo was taken with a pocket camera, I have to agree with you that this is an amazing photo.  After a flight from Kathmandu to Lukla, the world's most dangerous airport, it took me 2 weeks to get to Kala Patthar trekking from Lukla and allowing for acclimatization stops along the way.  Then from the small village of Gorakshep at an elevation of 5,164 metres (16,942 ft) and located near Mt Everest, it took approximately 2 hours to summit Kala Patthar

Level 10

Hi @AdamGT 

Nice photography of M Everest my dear !!

I also visited Nepal and took some photographs fro Sarangkot, this place is 40 km far from the Himalayas, in future I will post about those photos 

By the way last few days I am so missing you my dear friend 😰

Here is my recent post  

MD MAHBUB HYDER
Level 9

Lukla is one of the most dangerous airports in the world. I have seen several videos of that airport on the youtube. Trekking for two weeks is really huge and I am very happy that you succeded @AdamGT . Did you go to Kala Patthar only to take this photo or did you have any other mission? Thanks a lot for the nice explanation.  

Connect Moderator

Thank you for your appreciation @MAHBUB_HYDER.  I look forward to reading your post about your journey to Nepal and seeing your photos.  I hope it will be soon.

Level 10

I am not super LG like you, can't make post so quickly! I need time to write a post my dear friend @AdamGT  ! Don't worry I will.. 

But I need support form you to make good post as I am very new here. You kind supporting and nice reviews at my post encourage me to writ good posts🤩🙏🙃

Here is my recent post  

MD MAHBUB HYDER
Connect Moderator

Hello again @MukulR 

Lukla is not one of the most dangerous airports in the world, it is the most dangerous airport and having flown both in and out of Lukla, I say this based on personal experience.  I will one day post about Lukla with photos and you will see what I mean!  I've trekked a lot longer than 2 weeks @MukulR but trekking for 2 weeks from an altitude of approximately 2,800 m at Lukla to the high himalayas at altitudes of 5,600+ m can be very difficult and dangerous for many people.  As I mentioned in my previous reply, in the 2 weeks from Lukla I stopped to acclimatize and on this you might like to read my earlier post about the beautiful Sherpa village of Namche Bazaar: The gateway to the high Himalayas.  Regarding your other question, no I didn't go to Kala Patthar only to take my Everest photo.  I spent approximately 3 months and trekked approximately 600 kms in the Himalayas and I have many amazing stories and photos to share....if I only had time!  I've given some sneak peaks of some of these future stories in various previous posts.  See for example one of the photos and several comments in the post Let's make it a BIG chess day!

Level 9

Re: Nepal #4 - A photo taken at the top of the world

Wow!! 

My friend. @AdamGT 

Amazing photos. However, mount Everest is a from Himalaya of India. 

Can you tried to climbing the Everest?? 

What's your reason behind world travelling? It's your passion or adventure? 

And with travelling how you are manage your life's daily work and routine? 

{Simplicity Is My Identity}
Level 9

Thanks for your nice reply once again @AdamGT Now, I am clear about the full scenario. I will read the 2 posts tomorrow mentioned by you. Best Regards.