NickMapWalker's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

My experience of being a local guide---LGSummit17

Hello, Local Guides! I’m Che-Jen Ho from Taipei, Taiwan. It is really exciting to have this opportunity to apply for Local Guide Summit 2017.

Youtube封面拷貝.jpg

I love outdoor activities, snowboarding, hiking, mountaineering, orienteering, and water sports. I explore the wilderness by planning expedition and adventures during holidays, having a great time with friends and enjoying the beautiful scenery. I also record my journey with cameras, doing photography. You can find my arts on Instagram and Facebook!

Google Connect圖片2拷貝.jpg

Google Map really helps me when planning my trip. It provides street views, transportation suggestions, location photos, and comments from Local Guides. I use Google Map to preview the locations during my journey, to review hotels and restaurants and book them at the same time. It navigates me to destinations with the shortest way. I use street views to find the best position to take pictures and upload pictures to Google Map to share with the world. Google Map is a convenient and efficient tool to plan my trip.

To contribute Google Map, I joined the Taiwan Local Guide Community to interact with other local guides, keep providing comments, uploading images, doing surveys, and adding new locations. Camping is the major way I enjoy traveling in Taiwan, so I also help developed the “Car Camping Map”. I’m sure you will be benefited a lot from it!

Google Map has much information in the urban region, and it could be improved with backcountry information. Take my outdoor experiences as an example, hiking and mountaineering are very popular here and I made no exception. When doing outdoor activities, risk management is important. However, people often lost on trails which cause search and rescue issues. Lack of information is the root cause of it. People only see the beautiful image of mountains, but forget the difficulties and danger behind it. I think Google Map can be the key to solve it. A great start is the street view of Mt. Jade, the highest peak in Taiwan, which has help people plan their summit and preserve extraordinary scenery of it. I am enthusiastic to help enriching Google Map with wilderness locations and hiking instructions. This is my goal to participate the Local Guide Summit this year.

Last but not least, I had already received the permit to summit Mt. Whitney on Oct. 4th with my friends, and do rock climbing in Yosemite afterward. Once again, Google Map and the community provided useful tips and information to help me plan ahead and made the right choices. I was wondering if any local guides saw this post could join me. We can have some “Meet-ups” there before the summit and exchange our opinions.

You can find the 1min video about me on YouTube and Google Drive.

It’s great to CONNECT more local guides. I am glad to provide travel suggestions if you plan to visit Taiwan. And I’ll see you Googlers and Local Guides in San Francisco. Have fun!!!

May the MAP be with us all.---Nick EarthWalker
FB:https://www.facebook.com/tatooinenick325
IG:https://www.instagram.com/tatooinenick325/
Songshan District, Taipei City, Taiwan