Ann-MarieS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

My Local Guide Experience

Hi!!

I am Ann-Marie and I am from the beautiful tropical island of Zanzibar, Tanzania. 

I am a level 8 local guide with just over 21,000 points.

I began contributing to Maps since the Map Maker days where I mainly added roads and missing places which is still badly needed on Google Maps for Tanzania. I remember having the Tracker App on my phone turned on when I was driving so that later I would be able to add that road on maps!

My biggest contribution to Google Maps as a local guide is adding missing places and fixing misinformation.

I am a Construction Engineer and my work entails me to spend 50% of my time on the road visiting the most rural parts of Tanzania. And when I am not travelling for work, I am travelling for fun.

Recently I went to Pemba Island where I was looking for a place to stay and found that there weren't many hotels and not a single restaurant shown on maps. For visitors such as myself having such information is quite important when travelling which is why I have been contributing to maps. In my opinion reviews are important, but not as important as having to look for a gas station on maps when your car is running low and you need to know where the nearest gas station is. (this has actually happened to me in numerous occasions!!).

I do also add reviews and photos, although this is not my biggest contribution. For a level 8, I only have 2.5mil views on my 750 photos! But I do rely on reviews and photos contributed by others to make decisions and that is why I feel i need to repay back the same by also writing quality reviews and adding photos. Many times i go to a restaurant and order something on the menu only because it was suggested by a local guide!

I have also found the question & answer feature on map quite helpful (if you ignore the fact the there are a large number of people who still don't get it..). I was amazed by how quickly I got a response when i posted a question.

In 2017, I attended the Local Guides Summit where I met so many other Local guides from across the world and are still keeping in touch (on Instagram!) and still will on our Post LG17 meet ups!

At Kitulo National Park with my friends who turned into Local Guides after spending a week with me on the road!At Kitulo National Park with my friends who turned into Local Guides after spending a week with me on the road!

1 comment
Level 9

Bls: My Local Guide Experience

hello sister..nice to meet u..nice photo and view..more contribution on connect and google maps