AdrianLunsong's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

#MoreOfManchester: Top Places for Food

Caption: The words More of Madchester: Top Places for Food, superimposed on a selection of photos representing the post.Caption: The words More of Madchester: Top Places for Food, superimposed on a selection of photos representing the post.

Peter‘Eh up! Welcome back to the next post in the #MoreOfManchester series! 🎉🎉🎉

Adrian: Hey peeps!! Just to refresh your minds, this series of post is part of the #EuroMeetup2024 event which is taking place in Manchester, UK from 6-9 June 2024! @PeteMHW and I are your organisers and hosts for this awesome event! 

Peter: That’s right! We thought it would help with promoting the event if we tell you a bit more about Manchester and how amazing it is. Please have a read of the first post here, where we write about our top places in Manchester to visit. 😊

Adrian: And if you want to know more about the #EuroMeetup2024 event, you can check out the Announcement and Confirmation posts for details and sign up to the event here! Please do note that this event is in person and the costs for travelling to Manchester, the accommodation and any other expenses are yours to bear. There is no online meet-ups planned at the moment.

Peter: In this post, Adrian and I will share our top places to get lovely food and drinks. I’ll start off with my list of favourites.

Caption: An image consisting of an exterior photo of Cosy Club and a photo of a smashed avocado on toast dish.Caption: An image consisting of an exterior photo of Cosy Club and a photo of a smashed avocado on toast dish.

Cosy Club (British restaurant)

Why: Cosy Club is a little bit different. Although it’s part of a chain with restaurants all over the country, each one, including this one, is unique in character - it has a decor and atmosphere redolent of a classic British private club.  With wood panelled walls, a balcony overlooking the Corn Exchange Food Court, classic pictures and trophies on the walls, a glass-domed ceiling and table service in the bar, and a restaurant wing overlooking the cathedral and Medieval Quarter of Manchester, it feels just a little like expensive luxury, whilst being comparatively inexpensive. There are different menus for various times of day. The restaurant is accessed from the street outside the Corn Exchange (don’t try to get in from within the Corn Exchange - it doesn’t work!) and there is full access by lift for anyone with limited mobility.  Full information here

💘 Favourite dish: I love the smashed avocado with tomato, chilli and lime on toasted sourdough with a poached egg extra - healthy, wholesome and filling.  I have this for lunch or afternoon tea. Yum 

Caption: An image consisting of an exterior photo of Gorilla and an all English breakfast dish.Caption: An image consisting of an exterior photo of Gorilla and an all English breakfast dish.

Gorilla (Bar) 

Why: This industrial decor bar/restaurant under the railway arches in Whitworth Street takes you back to olden days grimey Manchester, with a new lease of life and no more grime. In the evenings it often becomes a gig venue, but I love having the Gorilla Breakfast (served till 4pm) if I arrive in town early and hungry.  Sets my Manchester day off to a great start. Full information here.

💘 Favourite dish: Gorilla Breakfast - basically a full English Breakfast, and you can’t beat those!

Caption: An image consisting of an exterior photo of Dimitris and a table covered with lots of small meze style dishes!Caption: An image consisting of an exterior photo of Dimitris and a table covered with lots of small meze style dishes!

Dimitris Tapas and Meze (Greek restaurant)

Why: I have been going here for many years, since it was a smaller more personal restaurant run by Dimitri himself, but I love the way it has expanded into nearby passages, and alleyways, and has imaginatively enclosed them, so you can feel you’re dining in the outdoors whilst being warm.  I love the general atmosphere. Full information here.

💘 Favourite dish: I haven’t really got one favourite dish - I like going with family or a group of friends and getting the meze or tapas selection of so many different foods and having a taste of them all.

Caption: An image consisting of an exterior photo of Topkapi Palace and a lamb sizzlers dish.Caption: An image consisting of an exterior photo of Topkapi Palace and a lamb sizzlers dish.

Topkapi Palace (Turkish restaurant)

Why: It’s a favourite of many people in Manchester, and I enjoy the food and the vibe - but the main reason I go here is that I have Islamic friends who eat halal food, and the food at this place is all halal so they can eat anything on the menu with confidence. Full information here.

💘 Favourite dish:  I love the chicken or the lamb sizzlers which are served with rice and salad - it’s hard to choose between the two.

Caption: An image consisting of an exterior photo of El Gato Negro and a variety of tapas style dishes. The more the merrier!Caption: An image consisting of an exterior photo of El Gato Negro and a variety of tapas style dishes. The more the merrier!

El Gato Negro (Tapas restaurant)

Why: I love Tapas - I haven’t got a huge appetite, and tapas meals are always just about the right size, with great variety. This place (one of three in the north of England) is good for dining for one, or as a couple - the tables in the front window upstairs are kind of special for people/street watching while you enjoy the excellent food. 

💘 Favourite dish: Again, it’s a tapas restaurant, so there isn’t just one dish that appeals; why not go for a selection? But as a snack on a busy day I love the vegetable tortilla! 

Adrian: Wow!! Your choices are pretty awesome Peter! 🤤 Hmm…my list is slightly different as I have a bit of a sweet tooth so I seem to have picked more places that are cafés that sell lovely pastries 🥐 and cakes 🍰 !

Caption: An image consisting of four photos; clockwise from top left - a variety of dishes from GAIL's, an exterior shot, a cinnamon bun (my favourite!!), and a coffee latte pairingCaption: An image consisting of four photos; clockwise from top left - a variety of dishes from GAIL's, an exterior shot, a cinnamon bun (my favourite!!), and a coffee latte pairing

GAIL's (Bakery)

Why: I like the simple casual chic vibe of this bakery and the food is just absolutely lovely! The basement level seating area is usually not too busy so I can easily spend an hour or two quietly doing work there.

💘 Favourite dish: Cinnamon bun! Lovely, sweet and brilliant when dunk into a nice cup of coffee!

Caption: An image consisting of four photos; clockwise from top left - an interior shot of the order counter and seating areas, a lovely pain au chocolate, bakers preparing for the next day's batch of goodies, and a box containing a selection of lovely pastries.Caption: An image consisting of four photos; clockwise from top left - an interior shot of the order counter and seating areas, a lovely pain au chocolate, bakers preparing for the next day's batch of goodies, and a box containing a selection of lovely pastries.

Pollen (Bakery)

Why: I fell in love with this place when it first opened in Ancoats and although that site is a bit of a trek from where I live, I think it’s worth every calorie to get there! Everything is made fresh and just really good quality items!

💘 Favourite dish: Cruffins! That’s a combination of a croissant and a muffin! It’s light, fluffy and comes with different fillings! 

Caption: An image consisting of four photos; clockwise from top left - an interior shot of the order counter, a French toast brioche served with lots of berries, another shot of the order counter, and a toasted ciabatta sandwich.Caption: An image consisting of four photos; clockwise from top left - an interior shot of the order counter, a French toast brioche served with lots of berries, another shot of the order counter, and a toasted ciabatta sandwich.

Federal Café (Coffee shop)

Why: This place has recently made some big news because it’s ranked UK’s most “popular” independent café and 4th globally. The popularity ranking is based on the number of TikTok views and Google searches. (Side note: the top independent cafes are Onibus Café (Japan), Panaderia Rosetta (Mexico) and AMA Café (India). But even before it made headlines, it had already won a piece of my heart (or should that be stomach!?) although I’m not too thrilled with the long queues! 

💘 Favourite dish: Their French toast is just gorgeous and delicious!! You’re definitely in for a sugar high!

Caption: An image consisting of four photos; clockwise from top left - an interior shot of the order counter, a full English breakfast, a view of the open kitchen, an American style pancake with bacon and blueberries.Caption: An image consisting of four photos; clockwise from top left - an interior shot of the order counter, a full English breakfast, a view of the open kitchen, an American style pancake with bacon and blueberries.

Ezra & Gil (Brunch restaurant)

Why: In that same popularity ranking, this brunch restaurant came in 10th place and it’s no big surprise that the venue and the food are very much Instagram-able! This brunch restaurant had a casual hipster vibe with artisan coffees, lovely pastries/cakes and brunch type dishes (think smashed avocado on toast types)

💘 Favourite dish: Ooh…it is a tough choice between the American pancakes, brioche French toast and classic E&G English breakfast! I’d say, go try them all and make the decision yourself!

Caption: An image consisting of four photos; clockwise from top left - an exterior shot of the restaurant, a classic Thai dish of chicken pad krapow, a view of the interior dining area, a corn fritter starter with a peanut dipCaption: An image consisting of four photos; clockwise from top left - an exterior shot of the restaurant, a classic Thai dish of chicken pad krapow, a view of the interior dining area, a corn fritter starter with a peanut dip

Tampopo (Pan-Asian restaurant)

Why: I have a craving for South East Asian food from time to time (I am from Malaysia, after all) and Tampopo has scratched that itch for as long as I’ve been in the UK! I first came across Tampopo in Leeds when I was a student there and naturally, I was delighted in finding a Manchester branch when I moved. Through the years, they have continued to refine their menu and added new dishes that are just awesome!

💘 Favourite dish: Chicken pad krapow. This is a popular Thai dish and rather than minced chicken, you’ll get slices instead. But they’ve kept the intense spiciness which I love! And on some days when I don’t want to eat with tears in my eyes, I can also request less chilies to be added!

Adrian: And that’s my (sweet) list of my top places in Manchester for food and drinks! 🙃

Peter: Well done! And I hope everybody has enjoyed reading this post. If you would like to give these places a go, why not consider joining the #EuroMeetup2024 event?! We would love to show you around and share Manchester with you all!

Adrian: And if you have any questions about any of these places or need recommendations for Manchester, do let us know! We’re happy to help out!

The #MoreOfManchester series:

This series is to help promote Manchester as the host city for #EuroMeetup2024. In it you will find lots of information about Manchester and our personal recommendation of places to visit! We hope that you will enjoy this series and do stay tuned for more posts leading up to June when the event begins!

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Manchester, UK
11 comments
Level 8

Re: #MoreOfManchester: Top Places for Food

@AdrianLunsong tu post me dio mucha hambre jejejeje. @TeffiG  mira lo que se puede comer en Manchester.

Connect Moderator

@Maximilianozalazar Thanks!! I am also very hungry just writing about it!! 😂😂😂

Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
Level 8

Welke van de genoemde eetgelegenheden heeft z'n gerechten en dranken op een lijst op z'n website staan? Soms is het handig als je als bezoeker vooraf al eens kan kijken wat je zou willen eten op welke plek. Dit is een item dat ik meestal wel vermeld als ik de toegankelijkheid van een restaurant of koffiehuis etc. bespreek. Wat misschien ook het vermelden waard is: zijn deze gelegenheden rookvrij of zijn er plekken waar mensen die niet roken kunnen zitten? Is er openbaar vervoer in de buurt? Welke bezienswaardigheden zijn er in de buurt?

If you want to help me in making Google services more accessible and more inclusive, you can also contribute to #GoogleCrowdsource https://crowdsource.google.com

Thanks in advance for your help.
Google Moderator

Hi @AdrianLunsong and @PeteMHW,

Reading this post before lunch was a huge mistake! 😂 

I can't wait to try some of these places in June. I've been to one GAIL's bakery in London (my review), so I'm curious to see how the selection might differ in Manchester. But I'm also so ready to try some of the more elaborate dishes at the other locations you shared!

By the way, the Food & Drink section seems like a better fit for this list of places to eat, so I'll move the post there. Thank you for this awesome write-up! Now I'm off to have lunch.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Great points @KattyGeltmeyer ! In the post above, we simplified the delivery to focus purely on the food but you are right that all those extra information is useful to have.

The Google Maps listing above should have photos of menus. But I usually check the date of the contribution to make sure I am seeing the latest info. Most have websites (thankfully) with menus as well; some are PDF based so you can do a search or read the menu out loud with a suitable PDF reader. In terms of smoking, in the UK, it's no longer legal to smoke indoors and some places have designated smoking points so that even if you do sit outdoors, you can hopefully avoid any cigarette smoke.

Level 8

@AdrianLunsong: Pdf's zijn absoluut niet altijd toegankelijk: als het foto's van teksten zijn, dus visuele content ipv. textuele content, of als er sjablonen zijn toegepast =doorgedreven layouting met kleuren etc. dan kan dat een screenreader software behoorlijk hinderen. Foto's van teksten b.v. worden als een foto gezien en in het beste geval hoor ik dan "afbeelding" en in het slechtste geval lijkt het pdf-document leeg te zijn. Een toegankelijk menu op een website is daarom een punt dat ik meestal wel vermeld als ik een recentie van een restaurant etc. schrijf. Ook in België is roken binnen verboden, maar je hebt helaas geen rookvrije plekken buiten: als de wind verkeerd zit, krijg je toch rook in je neus.

If you want to help me in making Google services more accessible and more inclusive, you can also contribute to #GoogleCrowdsource https://crowdsource.google.com

Thanks in advance for your help.
Connect Moderator

Thanks for moving the post @DeniGu ! You are right about the Food & Drinks section being a more appropriate place for the post! 😊

I haven't tried GAIL's in London but I would imagine that the food options are pretty similar! When this Manchester branch first opened, there were constant queues in the morning (before work) and lunch time! By the way, referencing your review, it is quite common to get a different price for having your food in or as take out. At least for me, I've come across it often enough that I'm no longer surprised. And I usually have my drink to stay (so it's in a cup) and my food to go at GAIL's; I do stay in to enjoy my meal but I save a few pennies and they have less dishes to wash up. By the way, I really like your review style! 👍

@PeteMHW and I are looking forward to sharing our beautiful city with you all! There should be ample opportunities for food breaks! 😋

Connect Moderator

@KattyGeltmeyer Understood. Generally, across all the menus that I've seen globally, very few of them are simple enough for a text reader to pick up unfortunately. Also, vaping (or e-cigarettes) are popular here in the UK so the smell is less offensive to me but personally, I've not had many experiences of people smoking/vaping at outdoor dining areas. Luckily, it is generally accepted as rude to smoke at outdoor dining areas so most smokers will stand further away or at  designated smoking places.

Connect Moderator

@AdrianLunsong ¡Qué publicación tan increíble y deliciosa sobre lugares para comer en Manchester!

Casi estoy salivando de ver todas las imágenes que nos han compartido, jaja.

Pero más me sorprendí al descubrir que mencionaste a Panadería Rosetta como uno de los lugares con más búsquedas en Tiktok o en Google. En realidad no debería causarme sorpresa porque en Ciudad de México es un lugar super trendy y popular, es especial por su famoso "Guava Roll".

Obviamente no puedo evitar compartir algunas imágenes, pero para hacerlas mas especiales deben incluir a otros local guides, ¿no crees? 😉

LG Luis Miguel Gonzalez y su increíble esposa Esther disfrutando del desayuno en Panderia Rosetta, Ciudad de México. Mayo 2023LG Luis Miguel Gonzalez y su increíble esposa Esther disfrutando del desayuno en Panderia Rosetta, Ciudad de México. Mayo 2023

Durante la visita de @LuisMGonzalez y Esther a CDMX en mayo de 2023 nos escapamos muy temprano a Panadería Rosetta para asegurarnos de poder disfrutar el delicios pan de dulce que caracteriza a este lugar. El resto del día lo dedicamos a recorrer el Castillo de Chapultepec y el Museo Nacional de Antropología.

El delicios guava roll y una concha junto a un café latte en Panadería Rosetta en Ciudad de MéxicoEl delicios guava roll y una concha junto a un café latte en Panadería Rosetta en Ciudad de México

Estoy seguro que los asistentes al EuroMeetup Manchester disfrutarán muchísimo la ciudad!