deepakjhic's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Mean of RSVP in Meet-up Board

Hi,

RSVP - Répondez, S'il Vous Plaît (in French)
 which means "please respond."

The term RSVP comes from the French expression which means the person sending the invitation would like you to tell him or her whether you accept or decline the invitation. It is used in a situation when somebody running some sort of a function, it gives a way that he or she can judge the expected number of guests that will attend the function.

More important, though, is the simple courtesy of responding to someone who was nice enough to invite you, even if it is to say that you regret that you will not be able to attend. In terms of our meet-up = please respond to meet-up /confirm your spot. 

More information here.

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
New Delhi, Delhi, India
7 comments
Level 10

Re: Mean of RSVP in Meet-up Board

Great post, and very informative and inspirational! And, based on your post, I think it would be a great idea to use a more generic phrase for the button like "Respond here," "I'm attending!" "sign up," or something similar.

Level 9

@deepakjhic: This is a great reminder. I have hosted a handful of meet ups using the meet up site.

Sometimes I'll get 10 people who RSVP yes, but only 5 show up and not even the ones that RSVPed.

It's great to utilize these tools but at the same time, things happen. I have had a LG who RSVP yes and really wanted to attend but messaged me the day to tell me his kids were at the hospital so I think we have to be understanding as well and things come up. In this case, I appreciate that he tried to tell me when he had a chance. 

Though with the site, I've also had people RSVP to my event even though they are clearly in another country and not going to attend, so it isn't a flawless system.

As hosts, I think we can try our best to encourage others to RSVP to respond to the meet up but note some of the pitfalls that this is not perfect. It will give a guestimate as to how many will attend. If it is an event that requires deposit based on attendees, then I would secure this from attendees in case people do not show up.

As attendees, definitely respond and commit. If something comes up, a message to the host would be greatly appreciated.

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 9

@JosephDewey wrote:

Great post, and very informative and inspirational! And, based on your post, I think it would be a great idea to use a more generic phrase for the button like "Respond here," "I'm attending!" "sign up," or something similar.

Yes @JosephDewey you're right we can use other phrase for the same. I think "I'm attending" will be the best one. 

Level 9

@Shirley wrote:

@deepakjhic: This is a great reminder. I have hosted a handful of meet ups using the meet up site.

Sometimes I'll get 10 people who RSVP yes, but only 5 show up and not even the ones that RSVPed.

@Shirley- I'm little bit confused with our meet-up section. Lately I was in Chandigarh for a meet-up with @RohitSadana. There were more 10 local guides who RSVP but I was the only one who attended that meet-up. Which caused our heart to break. Rohit Sadana posted in meet-up section about this issue but no benefit of point the issue out. 

@Shirley wrote:

@deepakjhic:

As attendees, definitely respond and commit. If something comes up, a message to the host would be greatly appreciated.

Yes I message from local guide would be highly appreciated in case he/she is not joining us. 

Level 10

@deepakjhic

@Shirley

@JosephDewey

Really an informative and good post

Even i dont know the full form of RSVP

It is commonly written on indian marriage cards tooo......

Anyways as far as attendence of the attendee is concerned, I do agree with Shirley that there may b problem with the LG thats Why he is not attending

But maximum time people just click on RSVP but dont turn around

Its wrong

Rest it does nt make a diffrence

But the LG friend who is organising gets disheartening

So RSVP should be taken in its true spirit

Deepak dear thanx fr tagging

Regards 

Level 9

@deepakjhic: I can see the frustration that you and @RohitSadana experienced. I don't know if there is an easy or perfect solution to this other than encouraging all Local Guides to RSVP appropriately to the best of their knowledge and try to inform the host if they are unable to come.

With the meet-up site, you are able to see the profiles of the attendees who responded "yes" so it may be good to scroll through the list and see who they may be. If you know them, perhaps connect with them personally as well, it may help. Also, as a host, you can send reminder updates to all of the attendees as well and they'll receive an email, so little things like that may help encourage others to show up. It'll also show that you're welcoming of others and may lead to increased success for attendance. Don't give up, the last time I hosted a meet up, I had 3 completely new LGs attend, so it just takes some time! 🙂

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 9

Sorry for reaching you late.

@Shirley- No That was not frustration but we were sad.