OkekeNkiruka's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

MY FARM MY WEALTH ( season 2)

I engaged in yam cultivation with my mum this year,and it yielded us a fruitful harvest.

Firstly, it all started in clearing and burning of the bushes at the farm land

Secondly, making the ridges and

Thirdly, putting in the yams deep inside the ridges.

Lastly wait for the appropriate time to made the harvest,which involves making the weeding, that's removal of unwanted weeds from the farm land,that's also a way to keep the farm clean .

It takes a period of 7 to 8 months before the harvest commences, depending when and the months you did the cultivates.

HOW WILL YOU NO THE APPROPRIATE TIME TO HARVEST ?

That's simple, once you started noticing that the yam leaves are drying off,then you know that your yam is ready to haverst, but as for me after the drying off,have to wait for another extra 2weeks or more before harvesting to make sure all goes off.

HARVEST TIME

It involves a lot of stress, especially now were in dry season and the ridges stiff and hard to dig on,so this year to makes things easier for my family, we decided to higher some labourers and also with the help of my mum and I the harvest went easier and fast.

Sometimes some of the yams we be hard to uproot,which will lead me pouring water inside the yam holes,to avoid the yam breaking when forcing it out. That's how the process continues till the whole yams are done uprooting them.

Another stressful part is that I have to be carrying the yams out to a safer and road side from the farm land ,were it will be easier for the cyclist to take it home.

My mum did the packing of the yams inside the bags,and the cyclist have to take it home with his motorcycle (BIKE or OKADA,BUS )depending how big your yam was, but this year it takes us 2 days to finish up with the uprooting.

Getting the yam home safely, them we have to arranged the whole yam in our family barn,putting palm leaves on the top for shield to avoid sun contact with the yam which might leads to the yam damages.

Finally, the yam is ready to eat, and my mum did the selling in the market and that's were the WEALTH appears.

I hope I made your day with my little experience, try cultivate yam or any crop at all and due have the experience. @UchechukwuEnem, @Sagir, @EmekaUlor @OSAMA@Emekcan, @MortenSI, @@TraciC@HelloSamsonR@Sagi, @Anonymous

Yam is stressful, consumes a lot of energy,takes time and less,but I bet you, if you did that you have nothing to regret especially when it yield fruitful produce.

Thanks everyone for reading.

Below are some of the pictures, my mum did the shot

IMG-20181214-WA0007.jpg

The picture of me Nkiruka, carrying the yam from the farm land to were the cyclist will take them homeThe picture of me Nkiruka, carrying the yam from the farm land to were the cyclist will take them home

That's the yams ready to take homeThat's the yams ready to take home

The cyclist taking the yams home on his rideThe cyclist taking the yams home on his ride

My mum packing the yams in a bagMy mum packing the yams in a bag

Nkiru the village girl,like my friends always called me,I drive joy going to farm with my parent because it makes me look my strongerNkiru the village girl,like my friends always called me,I drive joy going to farm with my parent because it makes me look my stronger

I always advised my young onces outside their,that going to farm won't stop them becoming what their wish,some called it dirty work, yes it's but I assured you you won't regret going through any experience in life. After the farming I always wash up and appeared back as the Nkiruka you knowI always advised my young onces outside their,that going to farm won't stop them becoming what their wish,some called it dirty work, yes it's but I assured you you won't regret going through any experience in life. After the farming I always wash up and appeared back as the Nkiruka you know

Awka, Nigeria
27 comments
Level 7

Re: MY FARM MY WEALTH ( season 2)

Wow! Nkiruka what a wonderful farming experience you just shared.

Such reminisce from those days of secondary school when we come back from classes and you have to go to farm after eating to assist our parents. Then it’s such an amazing experience too because it makes you stronger as an African child not only that, it will also showing kind of a child you are to people around you. So it’s teach me a lot from be hardworking, tolerance, obedience any more. Hardworking won’t kill you, it’s gonna make you stronger! 

Thanks for sharing. 

Level 8

Thanks dear, that's kind of you @alukohammed

Former Google Contributor

Hi @OkekeNkiruka

Thanks a lot for sharing your photos with us. It seems that there were a lot of work to do.

What type of camera did you use to take the photos? They seem a bit blurry to me.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Thanks @KatyaLfor commenting, actually am not prepared that I will do the shot,so my mum helped me to do the shot with her TECNO Y2

Will take better onces on my next post. Thanks

Level 10

For foodies like me, 100% support is rolled out. Good of you for doing something that eventually solves the problem of the community by eradicating hunger in the land! Kudos and keep it up @OkekeNkiruka

Always happy improving the maps and connect here!
Former Google Contributor

Hi @OkekeNkiruka,

Thanks for sharing!

This was a very interesting read, and harvesting yams seems a lot more complicated than I thought. 

When you work so hard on growing and harvesting the yams, it makes me wonder what you eat when it's time for dinner.

Are you staying far away from yams, or is it a part of the everyday meals? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

Amazing write up dear. Really happy to read it to the last.

Level 8

Thanks @Austinelewex

Level 8

Nice question @MortenSI not that we eat yam everyday, but yam is among the most value food in my community and entire Anambra.

We only eat the yam when the need arise,not daily meal