davidcantswim's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Local Guide and Disability

Hi I'm David and I have been using a cane for a decade. I have recently had an accident and am undergoing ankle fusion on June 18th. This will see me either on crutches or in a wheelchair for up to six months.

I do like to get out and about so my wife and I have decided to go on day trips and four day breaks around England and Wales. I will be in a self propelled wheelchair .

I have noticed Google Local guides talking about disabled people and getting around... I want to give a really fair and honest review of everywhere we visit and would appreciate any tips on how I can review places in a good way ... even if the places are terrible.  

I am also going to be doing a bit of vlogging about the lead up to my surgery and how others about to go for more or less the same incapacitating surgery could better be prepared and making the long journey back easier. I have looked around on YouTube and I am quite positive I can present something very useful for people pre and post op.  

Any tips on vlogging appreciated. I want to come across as a decent (I'm told by many!) guy with an interesting tale to tell on YouTube  

Thanks for any and all input

David 

David Saunders
Google Local Guide
Plymouth, Devon
Plymouth, UK
4 comments
Level 9

Bls: Local Guide and Disability

my brother
welcome to the local guide connect, if you can post it in give a photo and a clear description so that read more understand what you mean.

continue to contribute on connect and google maps
success for you, your family and your career

cheers

Level 8

Bls: Local Guide and Disability

Thank you Masbi.

Anymore advice and tips?  

David Saunders
Google Local Guide
Plymouth, Devon
Connect Moderator

Re: Local Guide and Disability

@davidcantswim One thing you can do is to mention in the review whether the place is accessible or not. Also, when you visit a location, most likely you will be prompted to answer some questions regarding the place. One of the questions was (something like) 'Is this place accessible by wheelchair?'. Also, I like to take a photo of the entrance of the location to see if it has any ramp, to show others whether the place is accessible or not. 

I'm not that experience with vlogging though, so won't be able to help you much regarding this, but hopefully someone else will chime in regarding this. All the best! 🙂

Level 8

Re: Local Guide and Disability

David Saunders
Google Local Guide
Plymouth, Devon