Tomislav_CRO's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Lošinj - an island that unites unspoiled nature and luxury accommodation

If you are considering which Croatian island to pick as your next holiday destination, here is an idea for those who can't imagine holidays without outdoor activities and crystal clear sea, but also like to treat themselves with a little luxury from time to time! The island of Lošinj successfully unites both aspects of such tourist offer. With a rich choice of 5-star and 4-star hotels, and hundreds of cyclists passing by them, Lošinj can easily please various sorts of visitors. Its motto is The Island of Vitality.

Of course, it's not only luxury accommodation that they offer on this island in the northern Adriatic. There are plenty of B&B types of places, along with private pensions and a few smaller hotels. It's rather popular among families with children, whereas its highest peak Mount Osoršćica attracts nature lovers. Mali Lošinj is the largest town, not only on the island, but on all Croatian islands. And, if you find it complicated to drive to Lošinj - you should know there are direct bus connections from the cities of Zagreb and Rijeka, catamaran connections from Rijeka, and even plane connections from various European cities, including Zagreb, the Croatian capital. 

To check if you can imagine yourself walking around this island (or sailing next to its lovely shores), here are a few photos taken during summer 2018.

The view from Mount Osoršćica, the island's highest peakThe view from Mount Osoršćica, the island's highest peakMali Lošinj, the view from the Providenca belvedereMali Lošinj, the view from the Providenca belvedereMali LošinjMali LošinjApoxyomenos, one of the symbols of Lošinj Island (from the Museum of Apoxyomenos)Apoxyomenos, one of the symbols of Lošinj Island (from the Museum of Apoxyomenos)Mali Lošinj from the seaMali Lošinj from the seaMali Lošinj, old townMali Lošinj, old townThe view from Mount OsoršćicaThe view from Mount OsoršćicaOne of the coves between Mali Lošinj and Veli LošinjOne of the coves between Mali Lošinj and Veli LošinjMali Lošinj, a street in the old townMali Lošinj, a street in the old townVeli Lošinj, the place where you can go to experience dolphin watchingVeli Lošinj, the place where you can go to experience dolphin watchingVeli žal, one of the beaches scattered around the islandVeli žal, one of the beaches scattered around the island

Lošinj, Hrvatska
8 comments
Level 10

Re: Lošinj - an island that unites unspoiled nature and luxury accommodation

Chào bạn @Tomislav_CRO Ảnh bạn chụp rất đẹp, cản ơn bạn đã chia sẻ.

Former Google Contributor

Hello @Tomislav_CRO,

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful island with us. I didn't even know it existed, but now i really want to go there. 

Lošinj seems to have it all with its hiking opportunities, beaches and towns. Do you have a favourite place there?

@KatyaL, have you ever visited this island? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@MortenSI One of my favourite moments on Lošinj Island was walking on the ridge of Mount Osoršćica. I remember the ascent was rather steep, it was one of those summer mornings when it's already hot at 7 a.m., but once I reached the top (588 m) I started feeling as if I was walking on some kind of a space promenade. The trail on the Mount's ridge is not demanding, whereas magnificient views on both sides of the island served as a reward for my hiking effort. That was undoubtedly a great feeling!

In addition to that, I enjoyed the little sandy island of Susak a lot.

In case you'd like to find out more about my experience on Lošinj, there's a video I posted on Youtube. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyLcW7GxP7g&t=8s

Hi @Tomislav_CRO,

Your pictures are really inspiring for a visit 🙂 Lošinj looks very interesting and I think this is the reason why they call it the Croatia's overlooked jewel in the crown. I'm sure most of the people here would appreciate the travel details you've shared. There are so many activities on this island. Could you please also share more about Mount Osoršćica? 

@MortenSI I haven't been to Lošinj island, however I can see it is a place that I would really enjoy exploring some day! 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Sounds like you had a great time there @Tomislav_CRO. This seems like just the place for me, i would love to go and explore the far corners of this island. When you say the trail wasn't demanding, would you say that anyone can reach the top of the ridge? 

The feeling of reaching the top of a summit and to take in the view is always the sweetest reward for me. It makes it all worth it.  

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@MortenSI  I couldn't agree more about the sweetest reward. It seems that we both understand the beauty of that moment. 🙂 

And yes, I'd say that anyone who is healthy and generally fit could reach the top of Osoršćica. I'll add more details in case someone needs the exact locations...

@KatyaL: First, there are two key toponyms you need to know: Nerezine and Osor. These are the two villages where you can start your ascent. Both of them are located on the same road, both of them have bus connections to the towns of Cres and Mali Lošinj, so the access to them shouldn't be a problem.

The ascent from Nerezine:

- shorter, steeper and more attractive

- time needed to the ridge (to St. Nicholas' Chapel / Sv. Mikula): about 90 minutes (depending on how much you'll rest on your way, of course)

- extra time needed to the top of the mountain (Televrina, 588 meters): about 45 minutes

The altitude of St. Nicholas' Chapel is 557 meters, so it's needless to say that once you reach the chapel, the rest of your trail will be a pleasant walk.

- From the top, you can also continue along the trail all the way to Osor. The time needed for this section is about 90-100 minutes.

Once you are in Osor, after 4 hours of hiking, I bet your legs will be thankful for the refreshment in the Adriatic Sea!  🙂

This was exactly what I did, and what I would recommend (starting in Nerezine and then going all the way down to Osor). Yes, this trail is steeper for the ascent, but I believe it's always more comfortable (and safer) to go up a steep section than to go down and watch your every step, especially if it's slippery.

In my experience, there were also more climbers on the Nerezine section of the trail. Interestingly, the great majority of them were from Slovenia (where hiking is a matter of lifestyle).  🙂

The ascent from Osor:

- longer and less steep

- time needed to the top (Televrina, 588 m): about 2.5 - 3 hours (depending on how much you'll rest on your way, of course)

- extra time needed to St. Nicholas' Chapel: about 45 minutes

- From the chapel, you can also continue on the section going down to Nerezine. The time needed for this section is about 45 minutes.

Possible detour (from both directions): Sv. Gaudent mountain hut (30 minutes, elevation: 274 m)

The hut is open daily from April to September, whereas October through March it's open only on weekends. The hut offers cooked meals, but you can also bring your own food.

If you skip the mountain hut, you can also have lunch in the restaurants in Osor and Nerezine.

General tips and tricks:

1) Make sure you wear comfortable hiking shoes, as the path is rugged and rocky.

2) Don't forget to take a lot of water.

3) Start your ascent early in the morning, especially if you go hiking on a summer day. In July and August morning temperatures can be as high as 20-25°C, so you would want to reach the ridge before it gets too hot. Keep in mind that the most of the trail is exposed to the sun.

4) In the period from June to September, pack your swimsuit as well, so that you can have a dip in the sea once your tour is done!

Have a safe hike!

Mount OsoršćicaMount Osoršćica

Thank you so much for that detailed description @Tomislav_CRO. This is going to be very helpful to anyone who wants to challenge this peak in the future. I will definitely make my way to Lošinj one day. 

Your picture describes my feeling very well. This is exactly the kind of view that makes a rough ascent worth every step.

Poštovani @Tomislav_CRO,

Zahvaljujem na vašem odgovoru i na informaciji. Sve što ste naveli ovdje sto posto bit će od koristi. Zaista je lijepo biti na vrhu planine - more izgleda divno, pogotovo kad je sunčano, a nebo nigdje nije tako plavo kao na vrhu. 

Želim Vam ugodan dan i nadam se uskoro vidjeti još slika s vaših budućih putovanja! 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!