MoniDi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

Lanzarote—the hidden gem of the Canary Islands

Caption: A photo of a city in Lanzarote, Canary Islands, with its white one-floor houses, green trees, flowers, and mountains in the background, taken on a partly cloudy day. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of a city in Lanzarote, Canary Islands, with its white one-floor houses, green trees, flowers, and mountains in the background, taken on a partly cloudy day. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

When it comes to island vacation spots in Europe, a few names come to mind—Malta, Ibiza, Gran Canaria, La Palma, Tenerife, and more. Millions of visitors flock to these places every year to enjoy great food, numerous parties, and beautiful nature. If crowds and pricey accommodation are not your idea of a great holiday, however, here’s my suggestion for your next island getaway.

Last summer, I had the opportunity to visit Lanzarote, the fourth largest island of the Canary Islands. The island is suitable for all ages, although it seems to be a popular destination among young couples and families as it is really romantic, safe, and budget-friendly for accommodating an entire family.

If you haven’t heard this name before, then you are just like me a year ago. I first learned about Lanzarote a couple of months before my trip. I’m someone who does thorough research prior to travelling, so I knew I wasn’t going to a regular green tropical island. But when I laid my eyes on the mesmerising scenery of Lanzarote, all covered with frozen lava, I felt like I wasn’t on Earth anymore but on some futuristic rocky planet. It was mind-blowing and definitely one of my ultimate favourite experiments.

Caption: A photo of the landscape in Timanfaya National Park, Lanzarote, showing red soil hills and the volcano on the left. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the landscape in Timanfaya National Park, Lanzarote, showing red soil hills and the volcano on the left. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

It’s quite easy to get to Lanzarote as there are flights from many European cities to the capital, Arrecife. Once we got there, we rented a car to go around the island. The quality of the vehicle was outstanding and the rental prices were so cheap that we wondered if there was some kind of a trick. There was no traffic on the brand new roads, making for an enjoyable and stress-free drive. If you get the chance to visit Lanzarote, I highly recommend you rent a car.

The place was relatively small, and just a couple of hours were enough to get from one side of the island to the other. We stayed at Playa Blanca and decided to start the sightseeing tour from the windier west coast, go north and then circle back down to the amazing beaches of the South.

A five-minute drive took us to the southernmost point of the island, Faro de Pechiguera, famous for its black beaches with volcanic ash.

Caption: A photo of the black sand beach at Faro de Pechiguera, Lanzarote, with several rocks arranged in a small stone tower, the sea, and the mountains in the background. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the black sand beach at Faro de Pechiguera, Lanzarote, with several rocks arranged in a small stone tower, the sea, and the mountains in the background. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Shortly after that, we reached Los Hervideros, where we enjoyed a view of many strangely shaped cliffs and underwater caves. I was breath taken, but not for long—I was in for more surprises.

We stopped by El Lago Verde, a curious green water lake by the road, and had a nice cup of coffee at the local café, before continuing our journey. We soon reached what I consider the most spectacular place on the island—Timanfaya National Park, where I saw frozen lava for the first time. The entire area was covered with volcanic soil and the terrain resembled an alien planet from a Star Wars movie.

Caption: A photo of the wooden statue “El Diablo”, symbol of Timanfaya National Park, showing the figure of a devil, stepping on a wooden plate with the name “Timanfaya” and holding another name plate. The volcanic scenery of the park can be seen in the background. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the wooden statue “El Diablo”, symbol of Timanfaya National Park, showing the figure of a devil, stepping on a wooden plate with the name “Timanfaya” and holding another name plate. The volcanic scenery of the park can be seen in the background. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

There were a lot of activities to try there, such as climbing to the top of the volcano to taste meat grilled using the volcano heat or visit several active geysers. I took a slow-motion video of a trained person who put water in one of the geyser holes and a second later it erupted with full power. If you visit Timanfaya National Park with your kids, then the camel ride is a good choice. It was a different experience for me which I don’t think I’ll try again!

Heading up north, we reached Playa de Famara—the adventurous beach. The place was perfect for surfing and trying out different water sports. Since I can’t even swim, I simply tried the shrimp garlic soup and the Canarian potatoes with red and green mojo sauce at a small restaurant near the coast, El Chiringuito.

We drove through the island to get to the east side and visit one of the most famous attractions designed by the architect and sculptor Cesar Manrique. He was born in Lanzarote and greatly influenced the planning regulations of the island. Cesar Manrique recognised the island’s tourism potential and created several spots where people and nature could interact in a perfect way. If you are a nature lover, I recommend the Cactus Garden, which had more than a thousand different cactuses arranged in terraces.

Caption: A photo of various cactuses in the Cactus Garden in Lanzarote, Canary Islands. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of various cactuses in the Cactus Garden in Lanzarote, Canary Islands. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Not far from there was another attraction designed by Cesar Manrique—Jameos del Agua. It was a small oasis, consisting of a lake with crystal blue waters, surrounded by lava caves. This place is considered the art, culture, and music center of Lanzarote where various artists perform live in the big cave.

Caption: A photo of Google Moderator @MoniDi sitting on a rock in front of the bright blue pool at Jameos del Agua, Lanzarote. There are caves around the pool and a palm tree in the background. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of Google Moderator @MoniDi sitting on a rock in front of the bright blue pool at Jameos del Agua, Lanzarote. There are caves around the pool and a palm tree in the background. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

I thought I’d seen it all on this small island, but then we reached the northernmost part where Mirador del Rio was. Located on one of the highest points, it offered a view beyond description of the neighbouring island Graciosa.

Caption: A photo of a man standing on the edge of a cliff at Mirador del Rio, Lanzarote, with the neighbouring island visible the background. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of a man standing on the edge of a cliff at Mirador del Rio, Lanzarote, with the neighbouring island visible the background. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

After seeing the most amazing spots in Lanzarote, it was time for some fun. On the next day, we decided to explore La Geria, also known as the wine region of the island. What impressed me the most was the method people used to cultivate the vines. They had gathered stones to build low semicircular walls around the plants to protect them from the constant winds and droughts. It goes without saying that we visited a famous winery called Bodega La Geria which offered a wide variety of quality red, white, and rosé wines.

Caption: A photo of a black soil field with grape vines protected by low semicircular stone walls at La Geria, Lanzarote. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of a black soil field with grape vines protected by low semicircular stone walls at La Geria, Lanzarote. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

We visited Lanzarote in June for my birthday, and decided to go to the famous Papagayo Beach on the date of my birth. This is a protected area, so we had to pay to get inside via a rocky road, but it was worth it. Hidden from the wind in a bay, the beach was washed by crystal clear, emerald green waters—truly the perfect spot to celebrate my birthday. It seemed ideal for snorkelling, too.

Caption: A photo of Papagayo Beach in Lanzarote, surrounded by cliffs and washed by emerald green sea waters. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of Papagayo Beach in Lanzarote, surrounded by cliffs and washed by emerald green sea waters. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

If you’re not convinced yet why you should add Lanzarote to your bucket list, then I’ll just mention the deliciousness of the island food and the hospitality of the people which add to the miles of romantic walks down the shore. Don’t forget to ready your camera for some stunning photos of brilliant sunsets, too!

Do you have a favourite island getaway spot? Have you ever been to the Canary Islands? Share your photos and experiences in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Lanzarote, Spain
40 comments
Level 9

Re: Lanzarote—the hidden gem of the Canary Islands

Beautiful post @MoniDi with different places wonderful pictures thank you for sharing with us.   

Level 10

Very nice  post. Informative and excellent photographs.

Level 10

Absolutely stunning. 

Lanzarote is definitely a hidden gem. 

Just don't drink it the tap water. The island doesn't get enough fresh water. Therefore, you have buy bottled water. 😄

Another side note, that we didn't know, Lanzarote is a protected area. So, you are discouraged from taking any of the rocks from the beach. 😊

Love the photos and the detailed description of the place.

Level 8

সবগুলো দৃশ্যই চমৎকার তবে আরেকটু ক্লিয়ার হলে ভালো হতো।

ধন্যবাদ সবার সাথে ভাগাভাগি করার জন্য @MoniDi 

sharif
Google Moderator

Thank you for your comment @O_Nate ,

I don't remember drinking any tap water on the island so good for me. 🙂 I was close to a supermarket so it was easy for me to get a few bottles of water.

By the way, if you want to tag me or other Local Guides, please write @ before their names. This way we receive a notification.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Former Google Contributor

Viite: Lanzarote—the hidden gem of the Canary Islands

@MoniDi This is great! I've only been to the airport in Canary Islands for a transfer, so never really been to any of the islands there, but looking at your photos, makes me want to visit this place soon! 

What was your favorite thing about Lanzarote?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Google Moderator

Viite: Lanzarote—the hidden gem of the Canary Islands

Hey @DanniS ,

You should definitely visit the Canary Islands, each one of them is unique and has many things to offer.

I've been only to Lanzarote and I was mind-blown by the post volcanic scenery. I also enjoyed the newly built but empty roads. It was a bliss for me to drive there.

Lanzarote is a place to enjoy your free time and relax on the beach. My next visit would definitely be to Tenerife. People say it is the party island of the archipelago but what I would do first is to go to the south west coast. It is the perfect spot for watching whales free in the ocean.

Level 10

Thank you for your sharing a Nice destination, I hope travel to here .

Level 7

Beautiful place and pictures Lanzarote. 

chandra mani