Kyoto : Demon roof tile

Kyoto : Demon roof tile

DSCN0932.JPG

14 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Kyoto : Demon roof tile

Hi @shigeo,

It's amazing, thanks for sharing.

How people could create these decorations in the past? I'm impressed, when I see something with important meaning like this.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 10

@Petra_M

Thanks for sharing.

I do not know the creator of the old Onika tile, but if a contemporary producer, he's here.

Hello @shigeo,

Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful roof tiles. I always found them really enthralling and I used to take a lot of pictures of them when I lived in Korea. It is so interesting that Japan, Korea and China each have a different style of roofs.

Below you can see the traditional Korean style roof from a picture I took in the Gyeongbokgung Palace:
Caption: A picture of traditional Korean roof (Local Guide @LilyanaZ)Caption: A picture of traditional Korean roof (Local Guide @LilyanaZ)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

@LilyanaZ

Thank you for sharing.
It is said that roof tiles of Japan an historical arrived from Current Korea (Kudara) in 588 AD.
Then, Japan's unique tile was made in the long history.
There are lots of interesting things when looking at tiles. From now on let me introduce Japanese tiles to everyone.

Thank you for the additional information @shigeo, looking forward to more great posts from you! 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

These so called demons reminds me a bit of the gargoyles, which can be found on churches throughout Europe. I don't know about Japan, but in France they are engineered to preserve stone walls by convey the flow of rainwater outward from rooftops and this is why they are all with open mouths. Are the ones in Kyoto having the same purpose, @shigeo?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

@KlaudiyaG 

There is a "gutter" that gathers the flow of rainwater in the building that guided.
However, there is no "gutter" in the structure of a traditional old house.
Therefore, the eaves are made very large.

DSCN0517.JPG

This is fascinating! I wasn't aware of this. Thank you so much @shigeo for sharing this interesting information with the community. It's always nice to learn something new.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

@KlaudiyaG 

Was good(●^o^●)