MariaNgo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

July in Melbourne – coast and cafes – Torquay, Lorne, Barwon Heads and Queenscliff

On looking back at my photos of July, there was a certain theme running through them – coast and cafes. It was certainly the weather for warming comfort foods so I was definitely on the right track.

In July, our average temperatures reach highs of 14°C and lows of 7°C (57°F and 45°F). Warm parkas and beanies are my usual order for the day during this period and gloves are often part of my essential attire. Along the Victorian coast if you happen to be standing by the beach, you would definitely notice the chill winds and be very very glad for those warm extras.

Torquay cuisine, black sands of Bells Beach, keen surfer, chilly weather - LG Maria NgoTorquay cuisine, black sands of Bells Beach, keen surfer, chilly weather - LG Maria Ngo

Chill winds or not, you still can’t keep the dedicated surfers from their sport. Here at Bells Beach,  where the sands are black in parts, I met one such stalwart surfer whose white beard contrasted with his black wetsuit and strong posture as he descended the steps to challenge the waves carrying his trusty board with one arm.

Bells Beach is home to Rip Curl Pro and is the longest running competition of its kind. This event is also known as the “Wimbledon of surfing”. In 2022, Bells Beach will celebrate 61 years of professional surfing competition. This beach is just 5km from Torquay which we had made our base for a few nights to explore the surrounding towns along the coast including Lorne, Barwon Heads and Queenscliff.

Bells Beach was named after its first pastoral family from the 1840s (https://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/bells-beach-vic). This hidden gem for surfing was discovered by locals in 1939. Access was difficult as there was no clear path to the beach. It was not until 1959 when “Torquay surfer and Olympic wrestler Joe Sweeney, determined to solve the problem, [and] hired a bulldozer and cleared a road along the Bells cliff from the old Cobb & Co Road. This meant that access was achieved from Jan Juc. Sweeney charged £1 per surfer to recover his expenses”. (You can read other more interesting facts about this beach and its relation to surfing in the above link.)

Split Point Lighthouse, Torquay dining, New Holland honeyeater, moody landscape - LG Maria NgoSplit Point Lighthouse, Torquay dining, New Holland honeyeater, moody landscape - LG Maria Ngo

I did not know all this about the beach when we first stumbled upon it on our walk along the coast. We had started our walk from Bird Rock lookout near Jan Juc. It was a very refreshing walk with ocean views and local birds keeping us company. We even spotted a New Holland Honeyeater during our walk.

That evening we decided to try Pholklore which served Vietnamese cuisine. We sat on low stools at tables made of recycled spools that used to hold large cables. The restaurant was a large shed with simple low key ambience and items which harkened to simple Vietnamese village life. Our pho was full of flavour and absolutely delicious. It was particularly satisfying on a cool evening and hit all the right spots for me. We thought we’d have it again before we left but did not realise just how popular it was because there were no seats available the next time we came back.

Torquay offers a range of other dining experiences as well – fish and chips, steak, brunches, Japanese, Thai, burgers, Mexican, Chinese etc. – of which we have tried a number on this on previous visits.

Over the next few days we visited several promontories with light houses – at Split Point near Aireys Inlet and Point Lonsdale. This part of Australia is known as the Ship Wreck Coast. it is believed that over 700 ships have been wrecked here while only around 240 have been found.

The channel that leads into Port Philip Bay has a very narrow opening with a dangerous reef. Sea pilot boats are needed to guide ships in and out of the bay. You can see their small orange coloured craft at work if you stand at Point Lonsdale or Point Nepean (Fort Nepean) . I have seen them at both these points.

Ship in bottle, diving suit of old, lighthouse prisms, breeches buoy, square waves, view of coastline and shore - LG Maria NgoShip in bottle, diving suit of old, lighthouse prisms, breeches buoy, square waves, view of coastline and shore - LG Maria Ngo

As if to highlight the dangers of the water, while we were in Barwon Heads, we saw square waves (or cross seas) forming at sunset near the Barwon Heads Bluff and the bridge.  These waves are formed by waves moving in opposite directions and are extremely dangerous. You should get out of the water if you see them. Here is a link to the video I took. https://youtu.be/25bHqxCvOzg

In Queenscliff, there is a Maritime Museum where you can see old fashioned diving suits, retrieved artefacts from wrecks, ships in bottles, lighthouse prisms and also the Pantaloon or Breeches buoy which is life-saving equipment used to rescue people from the sea in the 1800s. The waiting shed that used to be on the old fishermen’s pier in the 1870s has been relocated here as well as the full sized crane. This museum was built around the last life boat used in Queenscliff

There is another museum in Queenscliff – the Fort Queenscliff Museum – but it was not open when we were there. This town also has a lighthouse that you can visit.

The coastal route between Torquay and Queenscliff we took that day was quite picturesque with its moody grey clouds above and scrubby grasses on either side of the road stretched out on the flat landscape on either side. This was in contrast to the steep high cliffs we had seen at Eagle Rock Lookout at Aireys Inlet. The descent to Lorne gives us sweeping views of the coastline. On this day we saw a rainbow. 

Lorne pier, corellas, Memorial arch, fishing on pier, round holes in rocky platform - LG Maria NgoLorne pier, corellas, Memorial arch, fishing on pier, round holes in rocky platform - LG Maria Ngo

All along the coast, in each main town are piers which attract people who are keen on fishing and which also provide good views of the surrounding area. The pier also attracts dog walkers. There is a famous Pier to Pub race in Lorne which starts from the Lorne pier to the Lorne Life Saving Club which is a 1.2km distance. This race usually takes place in January. The average swimming time is 22 minutes and is now in its 32nd year of operation

There is a lovely walking trail from the beach to the pier. There was a flock of white corellas pecking at the ground when we arrived at the carpark of Lorne beach. There were gulls bobbing up and down at the water’s edge and a flock of sparrows sheltering from the gusty winds along the edges of the pier.

Between Torquay and Lorne is the historical Memorial Arch  – it was erected in memory of the returned servicemen who built the road, that is now the Great Ocean Road, that connects the towns along the coast. This is a 243 km stretch of road. Construction began in 1919 and was completed in 1932.  

The drive back to Melbourne on the main highway from Torquay can be covered in under 1.5 hours. It is just over 100km.

Misty morning at a train station, hearty winter foods, fragrant flowers - LG Maria NgoMisty morning at a train station, hearty winter foods, fragrant flowers - LG Maria Ngo

While it is officially winter in Melbourne at this time of year, and mist and fog can shroud railway stations in the morning and brilliant blue skies characterise the afternoon, we are not without our floral pick-me-ups when we walk around the neighbourhoods – white, pink and red camelias, arum (or calla) lilies, cymbidium orchids, magnolias, wild clematis with tiny flowers and beautiful fragrance and the silver wattle are in bloom.

Queen Victoria Market also played host to a Truffle Festival in early July which brought out food and dog exhibitions which also coincided with a Local Guide Meetup I had organised.

Another highlight for me in July is that it is the time when we celebrate three birthdays in my family – so cakes usually make their appearance then. It’s not like we don’t have cakes other times of the year, but the ones in July are just a bit more special.

Have you done much coastal driving in your travels?

What are some of the best ones you have seen?

What are some winter foods you like to indulge in?

Please share your experiences and photos.

Other posts about Melbourne through the months: 

June in Melbourne 

May in Melbourne, Daylesford and Clunes 

April in Melbourne 

Torquay VIC, Australia
8 comments
Level 7

Re: July in Melbourne – coast and cafes – Torquay, Lorne, Barwon Heads and Queenscliff

Thank you @MariaNgo  for another great post about Melbourne. The square waves are impressive. I've never seen that before. You were so lucky to have the delicious Viennese pho. Famous restaurants are very busy almost all the time.

Connect Moderator

Re: July in Melbourne – coast and cafes – Torquay, Lorne, Barwon Heads and Queenscliff

Those food are amazing @MariaNgo one good thing about big cities is that they got all kinds of food from different countries. I surely pick Chinese food, Thai food and Italian food.

Level 10

@willsonleecn  Yes those square waves are rather unique. The thing was I had only read about them a few months earlier and it was so exciting to see them in person. In fact, I didn't even notice them until my husband pointed them out. I was too busy trying to take sunset photos! LOL. 

I love Vietnamese Pho. I've had good ones and some not so good ones. 

Level 10

@Sophia_Cambodia When I travel I like to try different foods. I haven't had a risotto in a while. LOL. I was that close to having one recently but we ended up having Vietnamese again when we were away in Rye just a couple of weeks ago. And Melbourne has really good foods almost everywhere. One of my favourite restaurants is a Thai restaurant not far from my home. We went there to celebrate my son's end of high school. 

Level 8

A well written post with lots of pictures and information @MariaNgo  thanks for this post , really a good post 😊

Level 10

@Mukul_Anand  Thank you for your compliments! 😁

Level 5

I am newly here,

Level 8

Hello @danygeest  welcome to the connect buddy 😊 nice to see you here . 

as you're new here I would like to tell you to add @ this symbol before the name of a person you want to mention so that they may reply you soon 😊

For more information :

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/The-5-core-values-of-Connect/m-p/620824#M14...