cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Journey of me becoming a local guide.

வணக்கம்!! (Hello!! in Tamil)

Who am I?
Hey!! This is your local guide Naresh from the Sri Lankan Local Guides.
I basically drink coffee and literally convert into code. That’s my living and that’s about it.

Cloud Gate, ChicagoCloud Gate, Chicago

Fun fact: I am a green lover 🙂

Green lover / Tree hugger :PGreen lover / Tree hugger 😛

What’s about me and traveling?
In 2014, I got selected as a US State Department Alumni, which allowed me to go to the USA to meet cool people across. This tour activated my dead “traveler” cells and it was instant. I traveled 5 states across the US namely Florida, Washington, Illinois, New York, Virginia and the Washington D.C. within the span of 4 months.
I learned a very important lesson throughout in this tour, that traveling is beyond fun and enjoyment. It’s about learning, adapting and molding yourself to the unforeseen situations.
Since then my traveling is going on and on to unlock new explorations in life.

With Olivia.With Olivia.

With a Native American.With a Native American.

With one of the first Japanese immigrants to the US.With one of the first Japanese immigrants to the US.

Teachers and colleague.Teachers and colleague.

Steven on Bhutani costume.Steven on Bhutani costume.

Colleagues at Microsoft.Colleagues at Microsoft.

Google Maps and Me.
Since 2011, I am an Android Buff. I have done all sorts of rooting, flashing and modding to screw up phone up. I installed Google Maps in 2013, which I personally thought that Maps is some next level stuff. But later in the same year, I had to switch to Nokia’s Here Maps since they provided the wonderful feature to save offline maps. In 2013, it was a big deal for us since I live in Sri Lanka and our internet is pretty slow and offline maps are real handy.
Again, in 2014, Google Maps hit me back with offline maps, no questions asked, I just rejoined. Since then, I am loving the product and Google is just nailing it 

Local guide in me, but how?
My dad used to tell how they carried physical maps and the difficulties to find right places if get stuck in an unknown territory. We are a lucky generation to have maps in our pockets.
But I always wondered there must me surely some magic because every other place is on Google Maps. But how? Surely the magic is its contributors.

Can I become a contributor? The answer is, YES! When I joined as a Map Maker, then I understood that there is so much work to be done. It allowed me to add and edit more places around my city. Later, I again got active in the Local Guide program.

How do I contribute?
I am a Tamil speaking Sri Lankan, so I always concentrate on English to Tamil translation and vice versa, primarily. Also, I add photographs of the places and try to give a full picture of how the place look like if the person is physically present in the place. I strongly believe that a picture speaks 1000 words.

My camera.
I shoot primarily with One Plus 3, Nexus 5 and iPhone 5.

What's new?
Nowadays, I am actively working with @IlankovanT and crew to organize local meetups to meet and engage with people and motivate new people to join us and contribute. P.s. Motivation is contagious.

With Ilangokan, Isuranga and Asanka :)With Ilangokan, Isuranga and Asanka 🙂

With Isuranga and AsankaWith Isuranga and Asanka

Events: A fun filled Sunday

My Goals.
1. A fully Tamil Translated Sri Lanka on Google Maps.
2. Engage and work with people to ensure a strong local guide community in Sri Lanka.

Naresh
Colombo, Western Province, Sri Lanka
8 comments
Level 9

Re: Journey of me becoming a local guide.

Cool story @Nareshwar. Hope we do more contributions to GM with our local guides 🙂

Thanks for mentioning me in the story 🙂

Level 8

interesting story @Nareshwar all the best 

Level 10

@Nareshwar Very impressive. 

Level 7

Awesome story @Nareshwar, and in our last meet-up, we had a lot of fun, lets meet again. 

Level 9

Hi,

You are by default the biggest inspiration here. Thank you and hope to more work with you in the local guides program 🙂

Naresh
Level 9

Thanks Nalin. Thank you for introducing to the local community and good luck to you too 🙂

Naresh
Level 9

Hey Asanka bro 🙂

Thanks a lot. It was cool to hang around with you guys 🙂 Indeed we will meet soon 🙂

Naresh
Level 9

Thanks Anuradha. It is a pleasure to share the same community values as you. I would love to meet you soon, and so sorry to miss out the last meetup.

Naresh