Joeplym's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Introduce myself - April 2017 - Plymouth

Hello all,

Ok so let me introduce myself. I'm Joseph, although you can call me Joe and I'm based in Plymouth, which is in Devon, England. 

So I first found out about contributing to google maps and the local guide programme by playing around with my phone a few years back, I uploaded a few photos but didn't think much of it. 

However over the last year I have really go into contributing, at first to get the reward of extra google drive storage but I do enjoy taking photos anyway but I have found myself more then ever taking photos and uploading them. I also look at where missing information is on the map and often go out for a walk to obtain the missing information as well as take photos too. 

This obviously is really good for fitness too and almost becomes a game I play with myself. 

I also travel for work and often have to stay away in hotels - I use these times as opportunities to contribute with my reviews, photos and information. 

I'm sure like most of you guys, its exciting when you get to see home many people have viewed my photos. Its amazing how many views they get. 

Some friends where fascinated when I showed them how we get invited to review a location on the app, this is great as I often eat out and like to give my opinions.

I have added my home in the title here, Id like to see all replies but especially from those based in Plymouth and the surrounding towns as I would like us to grow our local community in our area and hopefully arrange a meet up. I have recently introduced a few friends who are enjoying being involved.   

Please all come say hi by replying to this discussion.

Many thanks

Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 comments
Level 10

Re: Introduce myself - April 2017 - Plymouth

Dear Joeplym, hope all's well. Yes, your story resonates. Many Local Guides turn contributing to Maps into a type of game. It makes it fun. What's Plymouth like? We read about the Mayflower Steps, what else is your city's claim to fame? Kind regards from Osaka78

Level 5

Hiya, another Plymouthian here 😊

Another two of our claims to fame Osaka78 is Plymouth Gin is distilled here and only here and it was here that Sir Francis Drake was playing bowls before going to beat the Spanish Armada 😊

Sharon

Level 10

Dear SharonH, hope all's well. Did Sir Francis Drake invent lawn bowls in Plymouth? Bowls is massive here in Australia, with clubs everywhere. Thanks for the history lesson, it's one thing about Connect, we get to go straight to the source. 😃 Kind regards from Osaka78

Level 6

Hi all been following the thread. I've lived in and around Plymouth for the last 20 years and there have been a lot of changes. The town was built original on the dockyard and workers but as the dockyard has decreased places like royal William yard have opened up. It has become more of a town of students. It is a nice place to visit but again it has changed a lot some say for better others say not. I love this town and have my own opinion. 

Level 8

Hi! I'm David I now live in Plymouth where I grew up. I was born in Ermington in the South Hams. 

I've always loved Google ever since they first came to be when I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I am now retired but still "do Google stuff" I am about to be recovering from a surgery to my ankle and am determined to open up disabled access in Plymouth and wherever I go... I'll be stuck in wheelchair for 12 weeks so may even buy a Go Pro.

David 

David Saunders
Google Local Guide
Plymouth, Devon