WetCoastCanuck's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Hyperlapse unlocked, congratulations!

For those who are getting this message and wondering what is it all about. Basically what it means it Google Maps had compiled a "drive to" video from the Street view photos.

1. On your browser, go to = and select Your Timeline. 

2. Select a date, when you had driven.

3. For each driving section you will notice a Magic Wand iconScreen Shot 2017-05-05 at 1.24.58 AM.png, click on it and select Snap to the Road, then Save.

4. You will then get Hyperlapse unlocked, congratulations!Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 1.18.17 AM.png

5. The Magic Wand icon will be replaced with the Play icon, basically it is Streetview pictures amalgamated into a video.

As for the feature request, for next April 1st can Google overlay "A Night at the Roxbury" drive video and music on each play? I know it dates me but it reminds me of Will Ferrell and Chris Katten when I saw the video.

12 comments
Level 10

Re: Hyperlapse unlocked, congratulations!

Isn't this function launched for over 2 weeks already?

Deep visit of Hong Kong series: Visit Hong Kong 101 | Cha Chaan Teng 茶餐廳 | Cart noodle 車仔麪

Fine me on Instagram: brett.to.go
Level 7

this is really cool feature

Level 6

@WetCoastCanuck wrote:

For those who are getting this message and wondering what is it all about. Basically what it means it Google Maps had compiled a "drive to" video from the Street view photos.

1. On your browser, go to = and select Your Timeline. 

2. Select a date, when you had driven.

3. For each driving section you will notice a Magic Wand iconScreen Shot 2017-05-05 at 1.24.58 AM.png, click on it and select Snap to the Road, then Save.

4. You will then get Hyperlapse unlocked, congratulations!Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 1.18.17 AM.png

5. The Magic Wand icon will be replaced with the Play icon, basically it is Streetview pictures amalgamated into a video.

As for the feature request, for next April 1st can Google overlay "A Night at the Roxbury" drive video and music on each play? I know it dates me but it reminds me of Will Ferrell and Chris Katten when I saw the video.

Is the hyperlapse feature accurate in your timeline? 

Christine Corley
Level 10

@chrisvcorley Pretty accurate as long as I turn on my Timeline (I often don't).

@chrisvcorley wrote:

Is the hyperlapse feature accurate in your timeline? 

Level 7

yup, quite accurate.

Level 5

It all depends on how you define accurate.

Hyperlapse is as accurate as your timeline is accurate.  When you snap your timeline to roads, it will pick what it thinks is the path you have taken.  My experience is that if the time line showed lines that did not follow the roads to begin with, the snap to road will not be accurate.  For me about 80% of the time there would be minor corrections that need to be made.   Even when I am running waze, the timeline does not always show data points frequently enough to show the exact path taken.

If you look at the raw data in your timeline you can see how often location was logged and what the accuracy was thought to be.  I find it accurate for my purposes.   But if your question was why does it show my spouse at another address in the middle of the night.... then no it is probably not accurate.

Level 10

@SteveObe, then why not increase the data points so you can have a more accurate mapping?

Deep visit of Hong Kong series: Visit Hong Kong 101 | Cha Chaan Teng 茶餐廳 | Cart noodle 車仔麪

Level 5

Not sure I can answer what criteria is used for checking location.   If it was checking constantly, it would use up battery life.   Also when indoors it is not very reliable because view of satellites is obstructed.

I have not tested to see if data points increase by having google map open or using google maps for navigation.

Level 10

@SteveObe, actually you can use external app to increase the data point collection, and result in more accurate hyperlapse after snap to road.  Once you increased the data collection, you actually don't have to fix the road travelled at all.  

Here with the result for your interest, for both on foot and by car.

2017-11-07_13h50_45.png