wwhopper's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Human Exploration has always included Sharing and Connecting

north_america_1797.jpgJust as early map makers benefited from direct reporting, though, then it took years for updates, today’s online maps to need constant attention. From changing road patterns to pop up attractions, what was there last week may be different next. Being a part of the community of Google Guide is rewarding, knowing you are helping validate information, in addition to enhancing what is known about a dot on a map.

Being involved in the Google Guides program provides each of us the benefit of being able to share our personal experiences from the travels we do. From our daily commute to work to a new place, we have never been to before. We experience these different than the next person. Thinking back to the travels that our ancestors made, who had no idea what to expect ahead, except for the stories from others they met along the way. And some of that information no doubt was scattered, filled with errors, or leading them into harm, how would they have known?  With Google Guides, that information is validated and cross-checked, as well as enhanced with more compelling content.

Colorado Fence sm.jpg

Recently, I stood looking at the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. It made me think of those early settlers who, after many exhaustive days of travel on horseback, in wagons, or by foot, what they must have felt when those mountains came into view. No question they saw the snow, and the weather. What guide did they use to continue their trek? Sometimes it was another human, and no doubt, often their internal compass.  Who was their Google Guide?

Wanderlust is a part of a man’s spirit. Keeping on the move to evade danger or just following a food source, travel documentation has been a part of the survival of humanity. And travel itself has engaged and excited people, be it the appeal of the open road, a sense of adventure, or just the fact that we need to find new routes as part of our daily work life. Today with research available at the swipe of a finger on a battery-powered hand-held device, we still want to know what to expect and where to go. Are we any better off today than those early travelers were?

William West Hopper

@wwhopper

William West Hopper
Washington DC, USA
3 comments
Level 8

Re: Human Exploration has always included Sharing and Connecting

Being involved in the Google Guides program provides each of us the benefit of being able to share our personal experiences from the travels we do. Well written and descriptive. Thanks.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/cmxpv89733/board/message?board.id=LGDiscussion&message.id=142358#M142358
Connect Moderator

@wwhopper Love your summary of sharing and connecting with maps over time. I've highlighted your post and profile on the Local Guides USA Facebook group.

Did you really want to put this in "Meet-ups"? Maybe you should move to "Local Stories"?

Let's build a US community of Local Guides, I'd like to suggest that all of us add #LocalGuidesUSA to the text of our Connect posts. With this text in the posts, everyone will be able to find all of the USA based activity on Connect with this search.

Keep up the great work!!!

Level 8

I need to change that, I think MeetUp was where my last post was.

Thanks for the heads up.

William West Hopper
Washington DC, USA