massic80's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

How to map internal or sub-street numbers?

Hi all,

I was wondering how to map some particular addresses; a common address is Foo Road, 23, Foo City.

How should I map the cases where the 23 has a/b/c or 1/2/3 internal or sub-numbers (in Genoa they even have red and black numbering...!)? I used to set them as Foo Road, 23b, Foo City, cause the Auto Completer reset the Foo Road, 23/b, Foo City to Foo Road, 23, Foo City. Now, some strange behavior make me think that Maps reads Foo Road, 2b, Foo City as close to Foo Road, 21, Foo City, treating the b as a number. Today I tried to set Via Po, 2f on Turin and it suggested me the Zip code of the other side of the road, where the 21 is.
So, what is the best way to write those numbers?
More; how should I call the segments of road where just a bunch of internal numbers are? I mean, Foo road would be enough, but how to "tell Google" that the internal numbers are just there?

Turin, TO, Italia
19 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to map internal or sub-street numbers?

Hi @massic80

Please see Fix a missing address or wrong pin location.

Don't forget to first select your platform tab at the top: Computer, Android, or IOS.

And let me know if you already are familiar with adding addresses (house numbers).

Generally Google will only be as specific with sub numbers as what can de found in official address databases and what can be seen on signage outside on buildings.

Cheers 

Morten 

Level 9

Hi  @MortenCopenhagen , thanks for your answer.
What's the matter with the architecture? It's a, horizontal problem, from web to the mobile apps.
Yes, I used to add addresses, though I often re-find them in the previous place.
In particular, I'm not talking about "spare" numbers, but instead places addresses.
Yes, I can believe the hogwash about "official address databases", but we have billions of places with billions of addresses, where a not-trivial percentage of them is wrong... and Google also relies on them in order to locate an actual address (and Waze depends on it).
So, back to my question: how should a place address be set?

Connect Moderator

@massic80

If what you want done is beyond what can be done by Maps users, then you will need to ask for help in the Maps support forum.

Hit the Community tab at the top and make a post. You need to attach or link to official documentation supporting the change you are proposing. 

Without proper documentation you will not be successful.

In some countries they have official postcodes for each and every building. Ireland is a prominent example of this. 

Alternatively, you should encourage your local authorities to become a partner with Google Maps. 

Google Maps has a program enabling local and regional partners to upload their data directly and automatically. Please learn more here: Google Maps Content Providers
Examples include municipalities and public transport providers.

The latter is the very best in my opinion. 

Best of luck
Morten

Connect Moderator

@massic80 

I'm not sure what you mean by place addresses. Places away from existing roads?  Then plus codes might be what you need. It is possible to add places far from roads and where street numbers are not used.

If you mean that a building can have a name and this should be used rather than street names, again I will refer you to the Maps Support Forum for this.

Cheers again

Morten

Level 10

Oi, @massic80 

A capital federal do Brasil se chama Brasília. Por ser uma cidade planejada, ela não é configurada "por ruas", e sim por quadras. 

Um exemplo de endereço em Brasília: 

Screenshot_20230203_102439_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20230203_103621_Maps.jpg

Parece um código "extraterrestre", mas tem toda uma lógica. Por ser algo que foge do habitual, não era, e ainda não é possível para usuários comuns sendo Local Guide ou não fazer qualquer alteração no esquema de "numeração" e endereços do mapa, devido a sua "complexidade".Ou seja, não é algo que podemos editar, inserir etc.

Quando algo é diferente, foge do habitual e não pode ser "resolvido" pelos usuários com as ferramentas de edições do Google Mapas, sendo uma questão de "dados do mapa", o mesmo deve ser reportado a equipe do Google Mapas no link já indicado pelo @MortenCopenhagen , não é algo que tenha solução por aqui. 

Em Brasília o problema só foi resolvido quando uma equipe do Google Mapas criou uma solução específica para a capital federal. A solução para o "problema" demorou sete anos. Somente em 2012 o Google Mapas construiu uma solução para a numeração de Brasília. Somente a partir desta data que a ferramenta conseguiu endereçar rotas corretas etc sem se perder, pois o sistema simplesmente não entendia os endereços. Ou seja, algo quando é muito específico, que parece ser o caso de sua cidade, deve passar por uma solução de dados robusta que somente a equipe de suporte do Mapas pode fornecer.

Sucesso

Gil

*Escrito originalmente em português do Brasil

*Message originally written in Brazilian Portuguese / Message écrit à l'origine en portugais brésilien / Mensaje escrito originalmente en portugués brasileño

Connect Moderator

Thanks for sharing your experiences from Brasil, @gmapas.  Learning every day.

@massic80 Let me just add that the address text field in the place sheets does allow free text that does not adhere to the standard address format. But next time someone moves the pin or edits the address field this might be lost. 

Cheers

Morten

Connect Moderator

Hello @massic80,

It sounds like you are referring to the numbers that separate apartments, stores, rooms, etc. within a building. We generally refer to these as unit number.

Unit numbers are not supported in Google Maps unless they will improve navigation. What is specifically meant by that is when a unit is in a separate building, such as a house number 456 Main Street and a separate suite in a building in the backyard that is numbered 456A Main Street or 1 456 Main Street. Adding such an address cannot be done by users, but rather you would need to make a post in the Google Maps Help Community asking for it to be added manually by a Googler.

Places that qualify for their own POI on Maps, such as businesses, can include the unit number in the address on their place.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 9

Rif.: How to map internal or sub-street numbers?

Thanks for all of that feedback! I didn't expect it 🙂
I'd take a look to Maps Community Forum as @MortenCopenhagen suggested, but I'm also concerned about the addresses if, as @Flash says, they are not supported in Maps.
I don't know how it is abroad, but in Italy there are plenty (lots, really, really many of them) of unit numbers.
Just take a glance to Via Po in Turin: there are several 2/b 2/f, 16/bis (random numbers) and whatever. How do I expect Maps to interpret them? And what would happen if I mapped them like I used to in past, with 2b, 2f, etc?

Connect Moderator

Rif.: How to map internal or sub-street numbers?

Hi @massic80

Maybe @ErmesT with Italian insights can elaborate on the need for changes in the house numbering system and whether is is worth to try to improve individual addresses without a system update as described by @gmapas.

Cheers 

Morten