Bigbrandonboss's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Help for the homeless

The number of homeless it's growing in Portland Oregon together I believe we can overcome any thing seems every month I see more and more it's heartbreaking the overwhelming number of homeless people they set up camps the city comes and kicks them out I think it's time to get together and help the homeless right here in our city

Portland, OR, USA
3 comments
Level 5

Re: Help for the homeless

I agree completely! After finding myself on the streets for almost a year, I began collecting and passing on tidbits/resources and post them to forums, social media and people who ask for help to help themselves. Thankfully, there are a couple loops around the funding of many of the federal programs that GENERALLY cater only to addicts and convicted folk, I'm working on starting a new program (nfp) to address these issues and some ways to make sure everyone who is willing to help themselves gets a good opportunity to start (handing someone a Street Roots book or a list of numbers and saying "Good luck" is NOT a solution 🤔

Level 7

Absolutely. I've been thinking the same lately; it's hard not to. As far as I've heard there are a number of reputable organizations in town... Off the top of my head, Portland Rescue Mission, Blanchet House, Sisters of the Road Café. Would be great to get a group together to volunteer – if you have any specific ideas in mind I'd love to hear them!
Former Google Contributor

Hey @Bigbrandonboss,

What a great initiative! I had a similar experience while on vacation in San Francisco; it was heartbreaking to see the number of people with no shelter just spread across the streets. Homelessness is certainly a growing issue affecting many of our bigger cities here in the states and around the world.

Why don't you organize and host a meet-up? Trust me, it's a simple process and you'll be better for it in the end. Plus, it's a great way to get your fellow Local Guides together in order to execute your common goal. Feel free to take a look at this quick video explaining more about meet-ups and their impact.

Once you've given it enough thought, navigate to this page in order to submit your meet-up proposal at least a week before the date of the event. By this stage, you'll be one step closer to helping those who need assistance the most.

Be sure to share photos of your meet-up should you decide to give it a go. You can also tag us on social with #LocalGuides to share your pictures. 

Keep us posted and good luck!