WilliamTackaberry's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Help disconnecting second Google account

I have two Google accounts on my phone, one personal and one for work. I signed up for Local Guides with my personal account and after a while noticed that Google Maps keeps switching between my accounts, seeming at random, asking me to review and rate things for both accounts.

Is it possible to get Maps to stick to one account and to stop tracking and asking me to review things so I only get asked for feedback on my Local Guides connected account? If I respond to a prompt or notification to answer questions, provide photos, etc it is not always possible to tell what account Google Maps is using unless I back out and check the menu, at which point the prompts have gone. It's frustrating!

Thanks!

Granada, Spain
7 comments
Level 7

Re: Help disconnecting second Google account

I have both a personal and work Google account on my phone, I tend to find Google Apps remember that I use my personal google ID. I don't know if it maybe because I added my personal Google ID to my phone before my work one.

When your in a app such as Google Maps you can open the side menu which allows you to switch between your accounts/check which one is in use before posting reviews.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of a way to get an account to "stick". Maybe a feature for setting a default would be handy for this situation. 

Here is an example screenshot (found off google images) showing the sidebar menu, If you click the downward arrow next to your email it will list linked Google Accounts for you to switch between. 

Image result for google maps app side menu

James K
Local Guide Level 7
Street View Trusted Photographer
Master Fact Finder | Expert Reviewer | Expert Photographer
United Kingdom
Level 5

Thanks for your quick repsonse!

I have seen that I can change accounts, but when I get a prompt to review or submit something in Maps it does not give you a chance to check which account is 'active' in Maps. It seems to ask me just as often for things in my non-Local Guides-linked account as the main one. I have even tried launching Maps before responding to a prompt but the app will still switch if the prompt is for the secondary account.

A way to set a preferred account would be nice. Some Google apps already do this, like Chrome and Fit for example, even Gmail can hold more than one account without switching of its own accord. I think Maps is the only app which flips randomly between accounts, tracking two timelines and two sets of reviews, photos etc.

The short term solution is to simply sign out of the work account. I only use it for emails 😕

Level 7

No Problem, Sorry I couldn't be much more help.

I can how inconvenient this must be, There is a section on Guides Connect for Feature Requests and Suggestions (Under Getting Started) so might be worth popping something in there about having the options to set default account for use with maps, I'm sure there must be many people with a work and personal account on a phone in a similar situation 🙂

James K
Local Guide Level 7
Street View Trusted Photographer
Master Fact Finder | Expert Reviewer | Expert Photographer
United Kingdom
Level 5

Thanks again, you were as helpful as I think anyone could be!

There does not seem to be a solution and I'll take your advice to the Features and Requests forum. I can't be the only one, as you say.

Cheers!

Level 9

Hey @WilliamTackaberry:

Just seeing this now. I have 3 accounts on my phone, and I don't seem to have any issues with Maps sticking to just one account.

What type of device do you have? If it is Android, which account do you use to sign in? Work or personal?

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 5

I use my personal account for everything, only switching accounts in Gmail to send email through my work account.

Maps is the only app in which the account is constantly being switched. I get notifications to give feedback on places I've been and have no idea which account it is that the notification is associated with. The overlay for answering questions in Maps doesn't show it. Maps also tracks timelines for both accounts and even just opening the app it's not possible to know which account will be active 😕

Notably I only get asked to share photos with maps from my personal account, it's only things from within Maps, like feedback and reviews, that can be for either account. Google Photos is, like other apps, always set to my personal account.

Level 9

Bls: Help disconnecting second Google account

Hello, welcome to local guide connect. Congratulations to add new waits in this forum, the spirit contributes more to help others in google map and connect

Warm regards