abhimuk's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Hello! from Varanasi, India

Hello Everyone!

This is Abhilash from India, living in Varanasi also known as Benaras, one of the oldest living cities in the world.

sc1.jpg

One day I was searching for a place in Google Maps. Though I found the place but the details were inaccurate. Noticed that there is Edit button in the listing to correct the changes, I quickly edited for correct details. That's how I became Google Local Guide. After that, wherever possible I started contributing data to Google Maps.

As most of you know, Varanasi is city of narrow streets and lanes. Many of the tourist attractions, restaurants, guest houses and even markets are situated in these narrow streets. Tourist and even locals get confused while navigating through this narrow lanes. Google Maps only covers approx 20% of these areas. I would like to get help from Google Maps Team as well as fellow Guides to short this thing out.

Enjoy few more images from Varanasi, hope to see you soon in my city.

Sunrise over the Ganga (Ganges) riverSunrise over the Ganga (Ganges) river

Meditation at SarnathMeditation at Sarnath

Sarnath is around 10 kms north-east of Varanasi, where Buddha delivered him first sermon after attaining enlightenment.

Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India
3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Hello! from Varanasi, India

Hey @abhimuk,

Gorgeous pictures! Thanks for taking the time to educate us about Varanasi. I can't wait to see what you'll post next.

Happy contributing!

Level 8

Nice to meet you, @abhimuk.  I would love to visit the Bodhi tree where Siddhartha Gautama preached his first sermon

Level 6

Namaste Abhilash.

Varanasi - awesome city! I remember the first time I used Google Earth to find a suitable place for my first holiday abroad, I was torn between Africa and India. I choose India and Varanasi was the destination I had to visit! And now I do so every year (along with Jaipur - which is great as there are now direct fights from each other).

But you are right, those lanes especially behind the ghats are a total maze - I however do not mind getting lost in them and discovering new things such as temples and akharas, but perhaps to new tourists, it might be overwhelming.

One of my favorite times to be in Varanasi is Deepawali, I've seen this 4 times, magical! Last year I also travelled in a car from Varanasi to Chitrakoot, Khajuraho, Mahoba & Orchha, great road journey which I'd love to do again 🙂

Will be coming back to Varanasi again either this year (Deepawali again) or March next year for Holi.

Best wishes

James