MattGatlin's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Happy Little Trees

"Blue Winter" by Bob Ross S21 E10"Blue Winter" by Bob Ross S21 E10

As the January sun rose to reveal a sparkling frost upon the landscape, my wife and I finished our coffee and set out on a two-hour drive. Traversing the byways of the Eastern Carolina backcountry, our trusty Maps led us slowly but surely to our destination in Rocky Mount, North Carolina: The Mims Gallery in the Dunn Center at North Carolina Wesleyan University - the temporary home of the largest display of Bob Ross paintings in the world.

Bob Ross Exhibition SignBob Ross Exhibition Sign

Like millions of others across the globe, we hold a fondness for the soft-spoken instructor-artist who encouraged countless of would-be painters to embrace their “happy accidents” and venture fearlessly into "The Joy of Painting.”

“I think there’s an artist hidden at the bottom of every single one of us.”  Ross would remark,Talent is a pursued interest. Anything that you’re willing to practice, you can do.”

Panorama of the Bob Ross exhibit at the Mims GalleryPanorama of the Bob Ross exhibit at the Mims Gallery

Reflections of Calm by Bob RossReflections of Calm by Bob Ross

As we made our way through the gallery, stopping to look in detail at each and every one of the 76 paintings, we were filled with a renewed appreciation for this man and his artworks. While this is the largest collection of Bob Ross works on display, it’s a mere fraction of the estimated 30,000 paintings he created in his lifetime - many of which were completed in real time in each 30-minute episode. With his Joy of Painting show on PBS Television spanning 31 seasons and 403 episodes, he work was a prime example of “quantity breeds quality” (for reference, Pablo Picasso is estimated to have an oeuvre of more than 147,000 pieces).

Detail of Ebb Tide by Bob RossDetail of Ebb Tide by Bob Ross

But infinitely more impressive than his work on the canvas, it is Bob Ross’ unique voice and accessibility that makes him a household name. Leaning close to appreciate the fine details that were imperceptible on television, I overhear an excited teenager telling her grandmother, “look Meemaw, there’s the one you painted!”

Bob Ross exhibit gallery attendeesBob Ross exhibit gallery attendees

The cozy gallery is filled not with aficionados of the wine-and-cheese set, but rather the everyday people with whom Bob’s relaxed approach and gentle philosophy most powerfully resonated. A gallery attendant reassures a young boy, “That’s OK, you can touch it, just be gentle.” Below each painting hangs a placard listing the title of the work, the TV season and episode number and one of many of Bob’s characteristically soothing quotes - his philosophy in a nutshell.

Around the Bend by Bob RossAround the Bend by Bob Ross

"We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents" - Bob Ross"We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents" - Bob Ross

At the center of the gallery a large monitor plays episode after episode of The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross.  How could it not? His calm, soft and encouraging voice makes me want to get a canvas, paints and some brushes and give it a try myself.

The Joy of Painting on TVThe Joy of Painting on TV

He makes painting feel so accessible and easy. While there are no people in his paintings - and very little trace of human existence or activity, his work is really all about people.

Visitor reflections on Bob RossVisitor reflections on Bob Ross

There’s a lot to take in and reflect on. 

On the drive back home, as I contemplate mile after mile of North Carolina’s characteristic pine forests I smile to myself: “What happy little trees!”

Matt

Rocky Mount, NC, USA
16 comments
Level 7

Re: Happy Little Trees

@MattGatlin man, I grew up watching Bob Ross and have revisited his shows many times, over the years... Thanks so much for sharing this! Do you remember how long they'll be exhibiting his works there?

You mentioned one of my favorite quotes of his - “Talent is a pursued interest. Anything that you’re willing to practice, you can do.”  That along with "The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe strong enough, you can do. Anything, as long as you believe.” Those two have stuck with me since adolescence and I always hear him in that calm, concise and distinct voice you mentioned. He was truly an American treasure. Thanks for the share and the stroll down memory lane 🌲🌲

Level 10

Hi @Mikeinthefalls  Unfortunately, the exhibition ended on January 4th. It started in November, and my wife and I procrastinated until the last minute. I don't see any listings for upcoming gallery exhibitions on his namesake website, but there currently is a "Bob Ross Experience" exhibition in Muncie Indiana at the Minnetrista Center that looks like a lot of fun.

Level 7

Glad to see you made it before the end @MattGatlin 

Muncie is only a 4 hour drive, I'll definitely be adding that to the list for this spring. Thanks!

Level 9

Betreff: Happy Little Trees

@MattGatlin 

Es gibt Berichte die man mit sehr viel Freude liest und ihrer ist so einer. Die gezeigten Gemälde, Meer, Wald usw. gefallen mir gut.

Level 10

Betreff: Happy Little Trees

Vielen Dank!, @Annaelisa 

Connect Moderator

Forgive me but I don't no much about Boss Ross, well being totally honest I knew zilch about him until I read your post @MattGatlin and love the artwork, especially the Detail of Ebb Tide and I must say I love the quotes that @Mikeinthefalls cited, beautiful. Oh and I do love and have personally experienced being among North Carolina’s characteristic pine forests 😄

Top 100 Local Guides Leaderboards from over 100 different countries!!!
Level 10

@AdamGT  Bob Ross has posthumously become an American pop culture icon in an endearing, retro kitschy way. 

Anyone unfamiliar with him should check out one of his “Joy of Painting” episodes on YouTube and see how funny yet strangely mesmerizing and talented he was. 
Here he is painting “Ebb Tide” in 27 minutes:

Thanks for the comments!

Matt

Level 8

Fantastic post @MattGatlin . Yes i remember seeing Bob Ross videos and trying to paint ( definitely didn't come as clost to his paint 😀 ). He is an awesome instructor very calm and explaining very clearly on how to use the paints and the brush to get different strokes. Enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing.

Anitha Muthu
Level 10

Hi @AnithaM , thanks for your kind comments and your own Bob Ross memories!