MortenCopenhagen's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Great news:  Talk to AI on maps!

Please note this post has been updated 4 times. Kindly make sure you check the updates before commenting. Thanks. 

Hi all,

Earlier tonight Maps asked me to allow Maps to access my microphone.  I did not take much notice of that, but now an interesting news story was published on The Keyword = Google's official blog:

A new way to discover places with generative AI in Maps

This is a citation from the blog post:

"Starting in the U.S., this early access experiment launches this week to select Local Guides , who are some of the most active and passionate members of the Maps community. Their insights and valuable feedback will help us shape this feature so we can bring it to everyone over time."

Thanks for this mention!  

"Simply say what you’re looking for and our large-language models (LLMs) will analyze Maps’ detailed information about more than 250 million places and trusted insights from our community of over 300 million contributors to quickly make suggestions for where to go."

One example is this:

"Let’s say you’re visiting San Francisco and want to plan a few hours of thrifting for unique vintage finds. Just ask Maps what you’re looking for, like “places with a vintage vibe in SF.” Our AI models will analyze Maps’ rich information about nearby businesses and places along with photos, ratings and reviews from the Maps community to give you trustworthy suggestions."

or 

"If you’re out and about and it starts to rain, just ask Maps for “activities for a rainy day” to get suggestions for indoor activities."

I'm looking very much forward to testing this new feature. Are you excited about this new feature?

Cheers

Morten

UPDATE 1

It is working!

I noticed a microphone icon in Google Maps for Android as shown below:

1000017308.pngtapped the mic and said: Show me great vintage shops. And voila: a list of such shops showed up.

Fantastic!

UPDATE 2 

Friends made me aware that the microphone has been there for a long time. 

So I wanted to test if more sophisticated text search could reveal if AI is involved or not.  I said: what are fun places for the little ones on a rainy day in San Francisco. The results were pretty good. And some terms from reviews were made bold. These were clearly relevant synonyms to words I said. So something smart is going on, but I doubt I have access to the new AI search thing yet. I would expect there to be more conversation in the results. Sorry, that I incorrectly thought the mic was new. 

The Verge also posted about this new feature. See https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/1/24057994/google-maps-generative-ai-llm-local-guide-search

Clearly, they too have no idea what the new feature really looks like.

UPDATE 3

See below. My friend @SP31 just shared 3 screenshots showing what he new feature looks like.  So now I'm 100 percent sure I don't see it yet.

Thanks Steve.

UPDATE 4

Today February 7th the Connect Moderators received a few more details about this test.  Including the following:

Starting in the U.S., this early access experiment will roll out to select Local Guides over the coming weeks. Local Guides with access to the experiment will be notified directly in the Google Maps app, and may also receive an email. As active and passionate members of the Maps community, their insights and feedback will help shape the feature so it can be brought to more people over time.

It is not possible for others to apply to join the test.

There will be a survey for participants to fill out.

For those testing it is possible to turn the Generative AI search off.

Cheers

Morten 

Copenhagen, Denmark
34 comments
Level 9

Betreff: Great news:  Talk to maps!

@MortenCopenhagen und funktioniert prima 😊

Level 7

Re: Great news:  Talk to maps!

Voorlopig zie ik deze optie nog niet, maar ik wacht wel even. Ik heb Maps in het Nederlands ingesteld, misschien zie ik het daarom nog niet. Maar ik vraag me af of je ook naar rolstoelvriendelijke routes of laagdrempelige routes kan vragen, of b.v. naar een routebeschrijving om naar plaats x of y te lopen met extra instructies voor blinden en slechtzienden. Ik weet het, ik zoek altijd de grenzen van het kunnen van zulke systemen op, maar dat zou info kunnen zijn die je nodig kan hebben als je met een zware koffer of kinderwagen etc. op pad bent. Moet deze toevoeging de rijdmodus uit google assistent vervangen? 

If you want to help me in making Google services more accessible and more inclusive, you can also contribute to #GoogleCrowdsource https://crowdsource.google.com

Thanks in advance for your help.
Level 9

@KattyGeltmeyer 

Das ist schon schwer. Fürs System werden die Daten ja immer auf einen gewissen Punkt bezogen und in diesem Punkt sind dann meistens die barrierefreien Möglichkeiten dargestellt. Als Beispiel Fussgängerzone mit Blindenstreifen, dann bezieht sich die Suchanfrage ja auf die Fussgängerzone. Dazu müsste das System grundsätzlich nach Worten der Barrierefreiheit in Texten suchen können.

Level 7

Ik snap het. Ik dacht dat zulke tactiele stroken etc. al toegevoegd werden aan maps en dat maps het taalmodel voedde. Maar soms is een toegankelijke route veel eenvoudiger. Ik zei al eerder dat ik van punt a naar b naar c etc. loop, en stel dat maps als resultaat op mijn vraag me zou kunnen helpen door erg gedetailleerde instructies, dan zou ik die herkenningspunten kunnen vinden. Een voorbeeld: als ik naar de apotheker wil lopen, verlaat ik m'n huis, maak ik een kwartdraai naar links, wandel ik langs een inrit voor een parkeerplaats, een café, ... een notarispraktijk, ... steek ik een bepaald straatje over, kom ik langs een bloemenzaak, ... om uiteindelijk de apothekerswinkel te bereiken. Het is daarbij van belang dat ik weet wanneer ik waar ben, wanneer ik die bepaalde paal of dat bepaalde raam tegenkom, ieder detail kan van belang zijn. Ik zou dat soort instructies ook via maps willen krijgen als ik over straat loop, zodat ik ook routes kan lopen die mij niet aangeleerd werden. @ErmesT: Ik hoopte dat deze toevoeging een verbeterde versie van de "pedestrian modus" voor blinden zou introduceren.

If you want to help me in making Google services more accessible and more inclusive, you can also contribute to #GoogleCrowdsource https://crowdsource.google.com

Connect Moderator

@KattyGeltmeyer 

I doubt this new feature will include smarter accessibility features. But we can hope.

Please note the update #2 I just made to the opening post. 

Cheers

Morten 

Level 9

رد: Great news:  Talk to maps!

مرحبا @MortenCopenhagen 

مرحبا أيها المرشدون

لا نستطيع تحديد اللغه فمثلا في جهازي فهو باللغه الفرنسيه وانا اريد البحث باللغه العربيه.

اشكرك على المعلومه عزيزي

أنا عمر من المغرب وأنا مرشد محلي.
Connect Moderator

رد: Great news:  Talk to maps!

@Omarfahd 

Try setting the App language in the Maps app. The top item under Settings.

Cheers

Morten 

Level 7

@MortenCopenhagen: Ik hoop in ieder geval met u mee dat ai de toegankelijkheidsopties slimmer kan maken en ze ook beschikbaar kan maken op meerdere locaties en in meerdere landen. Als ai alleen maar dient om een visuele upgrade te voorzien of maps in een chatbot te veranderen, heb ik m'n twijfels. AI mag eens nuttig worden voor mensen met een beperking. Mag ik de deelnemers aan het testproject daarom vriendelijk verzoeken om uit te proberen of deze functie al dan niet invloed heeft op de pedestrian modus, rolstoelvriendelijke routes en platsen etc. ? Dank bij voorbaat.

Connect Moderator

@MortenCopenhagen can confirm I've received it this morning - here are a few shots I grabbed. Will need to test more!

1000061837.png

1000061838.png

  

1000061839.png

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall