SandmanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Google Maps Issue - "Server Error, Please try again Later"

Has Google Maps recently implemented changes preventing Local Guides and others from editing placemarks (places) on PCs?

Over the past six months or so, I've noticed intermittent issues, which occasionally also surfaced on the Android and iOS mobile apps. However, these problems were usually temporary and could be resolved by trying again after a few seconds or clearing cookies and browser history.

Unfortunately, within the last week, the issue has become persistent and constant on desktop PCs running Windows 10 or 11, regardless of the browser used (Chrome, Firefox, Edge).

Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be any problem with leaving reviews for businesses, but editing details such as category, name, or hours is affected on the PC.

This issue doesn't occur on any Google mobile Maps apps connected to the same home network. Although it does occasionally arise, it's more like a blip than anything.

23 comments
Level 9

Re: Google Maps Issue - "Server Error, Please try again Later"

Hi @SandmanT

I'd like to add that as of Thursday (14/03/24) I've been getting the same error message on PC, but only on the Google Chrome browser.  I've tried clearing the cache and cookies on Chrome too, and this hasn't had any effect on the issue. I can use Firefox and Edge browser with no issues, so it is seemingly an issue with Google Chrome.  Very odd!

Below is a screenshot of me trying to make an edit in Google Chrome Browser on Windows 11.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 225022.png

Below is the same edit being submitted on Microsoft Edge browser on the same Windows 11 PC with the same account signed in.

JamesHogg_0-1710716312584.png

Hopefully, a fix can be found soon as Google Chrome is my preferred browser! 

Emu The Bird (James)
Connect Moderator

Hi @SandmanT 

Please let me know if you have the same issue when using one if the mobile apps?

Cheers

Morten 

Connect Moderator

@SandmanT 

Sorry, I see now that you already shared this. 

I see the same error maybe once for every 25-50 edits. But I never saw it persists for long.  Okay, maybe twice when the Maps servers were down. 

Obviously, this is not an issue with your account as you can make edits from mobile 

Please confirm that you are using the same account on both platforms.

My suspicions tend to be the internet connection.  Would you be able to test by using another network or create a hot spot with your phone and test again? 

Cheers

Morten 

Connect Moderator

Interesting and maybe related observations, @JamesHogg 

To exclude that it could be a regional issue could you both share your approximate locations?  @SandmanT and @JamesHogg 

Cheers

Morten 

Level 8

What's interesting is unlike the previous poster, the browser I use makes no difference. I even tried with an older portable version of Chrome.

I'm using different network connections including VPN and it makes no difference.

Additionally, I tried with other Google accounts and the issue, now, unlike before is persistent.

Geographically, I'm physically in the Pacific Northwest and I have been unsuccessful in other countries too.

The issue seems to be with Google itself and mostly browsers since the issue is present about 1 in 5 times via mobile browsers (Android & iOS) for me. But as I said earlier, trying again immediately following the message works in the apps (for now).

I just had a brain fart and I'm going to retest. I have ipv6 disabled for additional privacy when using a VPN. I'll enable it to see if that makes any difference.

Connect Moderator

Hi @SandmanT 

I'm looking forward to read the results of your further test.

It would be very helpful if you would use the tagging tool when replying to someone here on Connect. Type @ followed by the username. Type slowly. Then we get an e-mail notification and you are more likely to get a prompt reply. Just hitting Reply does not ensure we get notified by email. 

Cheers

Morten 

Level 9

Hi @MortenCopenhagen,

My approximate location is Yorkshire, UK.  I've just checked and the issue is persisting on my desktop computer.  I have no issues making edits on my Android smartphone, using both Wifi (the same network as the computer) and also a mobile data connection. 

Regards,

James.

Emu The Bird (James)
Level 8

Hi @MortenCopenhagen 

Well, partial success here. Enabling IPv6 didn't make any difference.

I tried (again) with Firefox portable (the installed version has too many enhanced security features to perform meaningful troubleshooting. 

Unfortunately, it was a no-go with FF. However, I enabled Nord VPN via Microsoft Edge extension and I was able to successfully edit a placemark. I also tried with the VPN disabled. Success. I'm using Edge for Windows 10/11: Version 122.0.2365.92 (Official build) (64-bit).— later build.

There is definitely an issue with Chrome and FF in causing this issue.

Connect Moderator

Thanks, @SandmanT and @JamesHogg 

I have no idea what can be causing these issues. I think is is not on the servers but on your devices as I have not seen more people reporting this.

Let me tag @DeniGu. Maybe she can do some magic.

Cheers

Morten