Peter_Elekes's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Google Maps Business names Translation

If a company name is "Kék Kör Kft. Kerékpár Bolt", should I translate it into "Blue Circle Ltd. Bicycle Shop" or keep original name (because it belongs to the company) and use  "Kék Kör Ltd. Bicycle Shop"?

I'd generally vote for the latter, but I got a bit confused because sometimes translating the name itself would be helpful too, e.g. translating "Kerékpár Bolt Kft." into "Bicycle Shop Ltd." would be more helpful than "Kerékpár Bolt Ltd.".

Are there any general guidelines here?

Thanks!

Peter Elekes
5 comments
Level 10

Re: Google Maps Business names Translation Side effect

If an object is of type Bicycle Shop, this part of name is descriptor and thus redundant...

Generally, old set of GMM guidelines said that descriptors should not be part of POI name, unfortunately link is now unavailable!

Level 6

Re: Google Maps Business names Translation

Yes, thanks, it's a good point, but what happens if it's not redundant but would provide additional information? Should we still keep the original name or translate it?

And are you basically suggesting that we should translate as "Kerékpár Bolt Ltd." if it's redundant?

Peter Elekes
Level 10

GMaps now show object type for most categories, either by name or by icon...

Other now missing Guideline said - "Transliterate - do not translate" https://goo.gl/QKPoJt

We should make object recognizable for foreigner so he/she can recognize it when he/she sees name on street or asks for it.

Level 6

I'm afraid I still don't get you - as far as I know transliteration would only apply when we have non-latin characters like <Yom Kippur> transliterates יוֹם כִּפּוּר, while translation would be Day of Atonement.

I'm getting closer though - so we'd have to help foreigners to understand what the place is really about. So if the "blue circle" part doesn't help much, we could keep it in original language and only translate the parts that help. 

Peter Elekes
Level 7

We have a similar issue in The Netherlands we see business names being (automatically) translated into English. It has quite a negative effect, because while the translation means the same, people looking for a certain business will be confused. It's slightly different to what your saying here, but I think it's based on the same issue: what to do with original names.

Personally, in the case of the bike shop, I think there is or should be some sort of category for that. It also helps with showing icons on a map.