CaptainHook's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Fun facts and curiosities on maps

Hello everyone

Time to time you encounter something funny on the streets. I mean something that is part of the urban landscape of course, otherwise it wouldn't be worth mentioning. If it is, like for example a memorial plaque with a grammer mistake a piece of street art or a nonsense trafic signs, I think it is worth to take a picture of it and post it. I know that it isn't exactly following the guidelines but I don't find it harmful either so I would like to ask how you feel about it. If you have an example, feel free to post it into this thread tot!

Have fun mapping!

2 comments
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Fun facts and curiosities on maps

The best site to find the various Streetview photos is  streetviewfun.com . Started as a site tracking the Streetview car. Its creator, Peo Sandholm, 36, lives in Sweden.

Multiple videos and photos dedicated to "funny" photos on that site, with Top 10 Russia, Top 10 France etc. . 

The camera cars — and the wacky quotidian scenes they capture around the world — can be found in a quick YouTube search.

In countries with stringent privacy laws, including Greece and Germany, the Street View project has faced legal obstacles. In England, villagers have chased after the car, seeing it as an aid to potential burglars.

Level 8

Re: Fun facts and curiosities on maps

Thanks for your reply @ele.

Let me just ask what about you, would you be keen to add a picture of a funny thing to the POI in Google Maps or do you consider it not appropriate and reserved for these external sites?