Nick-Hobgood's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Fort Liberte - Northern Haiti

Fort Liberte has an interesting history - first the indigenous indians called it Bay of Bayaha and it was the location for what was known as a "boucan" or meat smoking and drying center.  It was later transformed into an area where smoked meat was prepared to be later sold to pirates on the island of Tortuga of Captain Jack Sparrow fame.  What were known as the "boucaniers" or meat smokers were to become Buccaneers sold the dried meats to pirates in order to acquire munitions. There is a fort in Fort Liberte that is quite spectacular despite its deterioration.  More images of the fort here.

Fort St. Joseph from the bayFort St. Joseph from the bayCannon protecting the fortCannon protecting the fort

If you travel to the mouth of the bay you can find the Fort Labouc. This must have been an important location for the French as they wanted to protect the calm bay which was a safe harbor for passing ships. 

At the mouth of Fort Liberte BayAt the mouth of Fort Liberte Bay

A series of photos from the Fort Labouc can be seen here.  

Inside Fort LaboucInside Fort Labouc

Looking North from Fort LaboucLooking North from Fort Labouc

Right off the shore from the fort is a wonderful wall covered in a wide range of marine life. The map here shows the area where the dive site is most interesting.

Below are a few images from this awesome dive site but more images can be viewed here.

Fire coral and local fishermanFire coral and local fishermanBubble gum vase spongeBubble gum vase sponge

Purple seafanPurple seafan

Fort Liberte, Haiti
11 comments
Level 9

Re: Fort Liberte - Northern Haiti

Nice photos and very helpful information about the Fort @Nick-Hobgood

Former Google Contributor

Hey @Nick-Hobgood,

I really enjoyed reading about the history behind the forts. Kind of makes you think how easy we have it today, compared to back in the day, so thanks for sharing. 🙂

Your coral dive images are awesome! How long have you been diving for?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Hi @Nick-Hobgood,

This is a true paradise for me, thanks for sharing!

I absolutely love your diving photos, you clearly have a knack for underwater photography. The water looks really clear.

What depth were you on when you captured these images? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Thanks @AlexaAC !  I really enjoy diving and documenting what there is to see in the wonderful undersea world.  I started diving in 1981 but did not start taking pictures until digital photography made it more affordable.  For every good photo there are probably 20+ more that did not come out properly due to the fact that you are moving around and so are many of your subjects.  I started taking photos in around 2003 when I was lucky to be posted for work in Timor-Leste where I got back into diving and earned my dive instructor certification.  If you have not tried it yet, I highly recommend it.   

Level 8

Thanks @MortenSI !  Yes, the underwater world is amazing.  Most of the interesting and colorful corals are between 10-18 meters depth.  There is really no need to go deeper as the deeper you are, the faster you use your air so why make your dive shorter, right ?  Yes, this dive site has a nice current running along it and makes for really clear water.  Rarely did the Liberty Wall disappoint.

Brilliant thanks @Nick-Hobgood!

That sounds so amazing! I haven't gone diving before, but since I'm a pretty good swimmer, that sounds like a future bucket list item! 😊

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

I agree @Nick-Hobgood!

That is also where you start to lose more of the light anyway.

I can't wait to go somewhere that allows for amazing dives again. I'm currently planning a longer trip to South East Asia and will definitely include some dive sites along the way.

Do you have any sites you consider your all-time favorite? 

@AlexaAC, If you are just slightly interested in what diving might be like, I can only recommend going for it. It's an amazing world to discover and you will not regret it.  

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

HI @MortenSI I hope you have a great time diving.  My all-time favorite site is in Timor-Leste and I wrote a post about it here:  K41 Dive site on North shore Timor-Leste

I'm not surpised @Nick-Hobgood, I've heard so many great things about the diving scene in Timor Leste. 

If I do my planing right, I would love to include it in my own itinerary. That would definitely be a tick off my bucket list.