Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Everything I edit automatically goes to "Not Applied"

@talormanda wrote:

1. Not to sound like a novice, but where are the actual rules of the map? I know a lot of this stuff is common sense, and listed on the forums, but if there is a strict list somewhere that I didn't read yet, I would really love to know where.

Let me guess: "The rules are secret, since if we publish them, the spammers will know, and then we'll have to come up with new secret rules."  Am I close?

Apparently, one of those secret rules is that in cities with multiple districts, you shouldn't use the business address shown on your business license, business cards or your business correspondence. According to some here, Google Maps uses its own "physical address", which is incompatible with the address you'd find anywhere else. Alas, this secret rule (if it even exists) has nothing to do with why changes are being rejected recently, since the same changes are rejected regardless of which address format you use. Who knows, maybe the rule is changed randomly, to foil those darn spammers.

Former Google Contributor

Re: Forever Not Applied.

Hello @KathrynH - I thought i'd share the post from Google Moderator @GusMoreira in which he discusses the situation you are all experiencing. It is possible his post got lost in the shuffle with all the conversation here:

First of all, thank you very much for sharing with us your examples and feedback.

Every edit you submit to Google Maps is like a snowflake, very unique. As @Flash said, your account is not blacklist otherwise every edit you've made would be automatically denied and you wouldn't be part of the Local Guides program anymore 😉

Once you click "submit" a lot of information goes through our pipelines to analyze what has been submitted, where, who submitted and also what has been done before (the so called "trust score") and to stop some users that try to take advantage of Google Maps, we have an algorithm to stop edit with suspicious behavior from being published.  This algorithm is always changing to evolve with the latest trends we see - regionally and also worldwide - so in case you noticed a change in the behavior of your edits, this is indeed our algorithm doing some work.

But Gus... there're A LOT of Local Guides impacted! Something must be changed now!

We closely monitor the spam levels of edits on Maps, specially when changes are applied to the algorithm to make sure we are only preventing potential bad user and/or edits from the map and as said before, this is something that we keep evolving. When the levels are high, we analyze the data, dig deeper to check, re-check, triple check to make the edits and user that are not being published are correct and if there's something off, we will adjust. 

So to summarize, we take a lot of information into account when you submit and it there's billions of reason we may reject an edit. So don't take it personal when some of your edits are not being published, this is simply the algorithm working to make sure we have a a community of good mappers and content around the world (and when this changes happens LGs are may be affected in one way or another, but it's all part of being part of a community of a Map is is constantly changing ).

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 10

I don't recall marking this as a solution. Are moderators able to mark their posts as a solution to a user's post? I was kind of under the impression that only the author of the post could mark solutions, but I guess that isn't the case.

While Gus' post was probably lost in the kerfuffle, it's probably best in the interim to just leave it as the solution for now so it can be benchmarked. Now if everyone else can report their findings here instead of starting new threads over and over again, it would be nice to have a 'master "not applied" thread' don't you think? So troubleshooting can be more direct and collated?

Level 6

Re: My ADD MISSING PLACE not applied

Hi my friend..

@B168AJS wrote:

Dear All,

I have managed to add some of my clinics location into google maps without trouble

But at my 6th clinic, somehow my ADD MISSING PLACE not applied. I waited for 2 days, still no news from google, so I ADD again and again. Then I saw similiar Name for my clinic but I'm sure it's not added by me because the category was added as Hospital, which I never did that

Then I edit that business place for name, category, hours, phone number and website. But only hours was approved, the other was not applied. 

Can anyone help me please....
Thank you for the help

trouble1.jpgtrouble2.jpgtrouble3.jpgtrouble4.jpg

When the system is unable to verify the information you submitted, they deny your “add a place” submission. 
I encourage you to submit them again. Thank you so much!

Level 5

Not acceptable 

Level 8

Hi @Briggs,

Yes.  Google Moderators and Connect Moderators can mark / unmark solutions.

Level 8

Hi @dallaspeters1,

@dallaspeters1 wrote:

Not acceptable 

For what you are considering as Not acceptable?

Level 7

Not applied

Hi guys.

I visit a lot of places. Collect lots of data. And when I see mistakes on Google maps e.g locations of building I edit them and move them to the correct location.

However recently I have had a lot of rejects / not applied. Even with picture proofs Google is rejecting the edit or new business. 

For example a Gregg's bakery has moved down the street and is in a better location I have updated this by edit and it was rejected.

I think Google needs to trust us more ( more leniency ) for local guides as we live in the area and can see all the changes everyday,  new businesses open and some close down ..etc ...

so if we add a change with picture proof can the change please be amended? 

I hope this gets to the people who can make a change.

Thanks

Level 8

Re: Not applied

Hi @thisismarksspace,

Google is aware of the situation.  They will continue to fine tune the system and process to strike a balance between fast approval, prevent spams and overall user experience.

Sometimes I can observe certain undesired side effects along the tunings, overtime, thing will keep moving along the correct directions.

Level 10

Ahh, okay Sampson.

In that case, I have unmarked Bruce's copy and paste of the solution and marked Gus' original one instead, I hope that is okay.