LG_Kees's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Flower bulbs in the Netherlands during the Corona crisis

Hi,

Here in the Netherlands, the Corona restrictions are about the same as anywhere else.IMG_20200326_155433 (1).jpg

The weather today is perfect, but the guidance is to stay inside and go only out as little as possible.

Groceries, walking the dog, and sporting on your own is still allowed.

No tourists this year in the “Keukenhof”, the flower bulb exhibition garden of the world and no tourist riding on orange bikes or tourists simply stop in the middle of the streets, because of the stunning fields that are now about everywhere.

So, while biking in my “back yard” I thought let’s share some beautiful pictures of the daffodils, hyacinths, and now the tulips are starting to bloom!

Enjoy my selection of the fields here in the traditional flower bulb region of the Netherlands!!

Daffodils fieldsDaffodils fieldsTulipss everywhereTulipss everywhereHyacinth fieldHyacinth fieldAnother hyacinth fieldAnother hyacinth field

Voorhout, Nederland
8 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Flower bulbs in the Netherlands during the Corona crisis

Beautiful pictures @LG_Kees 

It is really nice to see this.

I hope there will a possibility to harvest the flowers and sell them all over the world to bring colour in our homes!

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 10

Hi @TorM ,

That was my thinking also when I moved to this region many years ago!!!

But indeed some financial loss is there, but most of the farmers are flower bulb sellers, so for most of them, the tulips, etc stay on the field and are not harvested as flowers.

After a month or so, the bulbs are harvested and peeled by local kids and sold around the world in bags with a nice picture on the bag.

Actually, some farmers are even happy that the tourists are not walking through the fields this year for their favorite selfies and bringing diseases into the bulbs via their shoes.

Level 7

@LG_Kees beautiful landscapes and excellent photographs! ... flowers brighten any landscape, fill us with positive energy and are one of the best things in life!

Level 10

Hello @LG_Kees 

Thank you for sharing these sensational images of all the stunning flowers now in season and the magnificent rainbow of colours in every field.  

Plus thanks also for sharing information about the varieties available, how they are distributed around the world  and the difference that CorVid19 has had on tourism in the Netherlands. 

with kind regards

@Justine2807 

Connect Moderator

They are beautiful. All my favorite flowers. Thank you for sharing!

Sadly, I cannot make it to Tulip field in Washington as I planned too. This is too sad!

Level 10

Like everyone else, I love flowers too. Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures.

@LG_Kees 

#stay_home #stay_safe

Biswajit Chakraborty, Greetings from Dhaka-Bangladesh
Level 9

@LG_Kees Beautiful flowers! So positive images nowadays!

Former Google Contributor

Hello @LG_Kees

Awesome photography! The landscape is so stunning and colorful. It must have been such an incredible experience to bike close to the fields. You mentioned doing so in your ¨back yard¨, does that mean you live near the fields? How nice! 

I lived in the Netherlands for 6 months, however, I did not get the chance to see the fields themselves. I know they are popular among influences and photographers. Though I did visit Keukenhof, it was a lovely experience. It was a bit crowded and late in the season, but I still got to enjoy it. I am looking forward to going there again. Thank you for reminding me of your beautiful post. In return, I will also share a favorite photo from my visit. 

Keukenhof,  Spring 2019Keukenhof, Spring 2019

P.S. If you have more photos to share, feel free to check out our own Local Guide's garden. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!