Minu_Backer's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Everyday superheroes of India

Be it getting a bunch of fresh spinach for preparing lunch, or sharpening a kitchen knife, street vendors and small-businesses make the everyday life of Indians smooth. I enjoy letting people discover these under-acknowledged everyday superheroes of India on Google Maps.

A few examples of street vendors I love to list and review on Maps:

1, Pani puri stalls

Ramraj-Pani-Puri-Vendor-Frazer-Town-Bangalore.jpg

Pani puris are a popular Indian street food. You will find pani puri stalls in every nook and corner in most of the streets across India. I love rating them according to the yumminess of the pani puris. That especially chatty pani puri vendor deserves a mention in the reviews any day!

2, Second-hand book vendors

Avenue-Road-bookstore-compressed.jpg

I can spend several hours going through these stalks of wise old books with yellowing pages, and I often end up finding something precious. Quite a few of these pre-loved books will have a story to tell, through the scribbles along their pages. Some of the vendors turn out to be quite well-read and knowledgeable.

3, Tender coconut stalls

Coconut-Telangana-Today-1024x694.jpg

Tender coconut stalls are a respite from the scorching Indian summers. Once you drink up the juice, the vendor will cut open the coconut and scoop out the creamy coconut meat for you. Whenever I come across a tender coconut vendor who stocks up only the freshest and sweetest coconuts, I spread the word through a review and photo on Google Maps.

4, Roadside jewellery vendors

Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 6.29.03 PM.png

These small roadside jewellery vendors add a splash of colour to the streets. From pretty bright glass bangles to exquisite drop ear rings, they let you glam up without shelling out much cash. I love letting the world know about my rare and quirky finds from these shops through Maps.

5, The local handyman

electrical-repair-shop--bundi.jpg

If you find a leak in your kitchen sink one day, you don’t have to worry because you can always count on the local handyman. These all in one handymen carry out most of the electrical, plumbing and carpentry-relation repairs and renovations. These humble local handymen are highly competitive and the most reliable. I love sharing the contact details and reviews of their stalls.

Bangalore, Karnataka, India