DannisC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Enthusiastic About Disability Issues, Photography, and Fiction Writing

I'm Dannis Cole and I write Young Adult Science Fiction.Dannis Cole, age 60Dannis Cole, age 60

Being a Local Guide is fun!

I began collecting maps when we went on vacation at age 7. Dad and Mama taught me to read them. I've been passionate about maps ever since and use them a lot in my genealogy research. So yeah, Google Maps have been my passion since I worked at Georgia State University in 1991 and got introduced to the new search engine, Google, shortly thereafter. A coworker in the Reference Department [she worked in maps, by the way] introduced me to the World Wide Web. When Google came out, all the librarians were using it, so I tried it and liked it better than any of the other search engines of the day. I've been a Google fan ever since, and a Google Maps user, too, all these years. 

I've been reading reviews of places on Google Maps for years, and have put them up, long before I knew about Local Guides. When I put a review up, I try to include pictures and accessibility info. Since I grew up in a family of writers and artists, I have a little different way of looking at things. My family taught me to take pictures at age 11. They learned a good bit about photography taking pictures for the local newspaper and writing stories for it. They taught me how to write, too.

I took these pictures at age 11I took these pictures at age 11

Working in libraries taught me to pay attention to details, but so did writing. In 2009, I decided to self-publish and began learning about 3D modeling. Designed my own book covers. Got a better camera.
The moon Ye~, which orbits Areon.The moon Ye~, which orbits Areon.

I'm very happy to be able to contribute to my community through being a Local Guide. Most of my days, I spend in bed, but when I go out, I bring my camera, and I try to put a review up, to help other people plan their journeys.

Since I know first-hand what's involved in a simple trip when you have to lug a wheelchair, I know some things that are helpful. How wide a doorway must be [36"] to accommodate wheelchair, walker, or even someone using elbow crutches! Nothing is simple when disability equipment is involved. People think it's indestructible when even big wheelchairs are easily broken. 

I took this picture in Cuthbert, GA from my power chair.I took this picture in Cuthbert, GA from my power chair.

Being a Local Guide gives me a sense of purpose. Sometimes as a writer I feel invisible because I'm not healthy enough to do the heavy marketing involved to get my name out there. When I get an email saying a lot of folks have seen my pix, I feel like I've accomplished something nice. I'm very happy to be a Local Guide. Thanks so much for this wonderful program!

One of my favorite Cuthbert pix near sunset.One of my favorite Cuthbert pix near sunset.

I love Google Maps! I love people and I'm passionate about meeting some of my fellow Local Guides. There haven't been many opportunities to attend a local meetup so far. So I am very grateful just to be applying to #LocalGuidesConnect 2019. It's exciting to think that this 60-year old has a chance to be selected to go to California. If I got to go, I'd get to meet local guides from all over the world and see Google Maps from the inside! But, if I don't get to go, I'm still happy to be posting in my little corner of this huge world. Little things mean so much to a disabled person, and it's wonderful to think that little me can make a difference to someone I shall never meet.

Link to my YouTube application video:

My Google Maps List is Best Eats Near Chattanooga here:
Tunnel Hill, GA, USA