PittsburghJon's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Do any of you use drones to photograph businesses?

I've been considering getting a drone to photograph businesses from a unique angle.  (obviously from the outside only)

Have any of you used drones for local guides before?  Which drone would you recommend?

And there any legal or safety issues I should be worried about?

Or is this just a bad idea that i shouldn't pursue?  What are your thoughts?

˚͜˚
44 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 5
Solution

Re: Do any of you use drones to photograph businesses?

Hi JonathanH!

Not a bad idea at all, owning a drone and having the knowledge to fly it, opens a lot of new opportunities for you.

I've upload lots of drone photos to GoogleLocalguides, and they have great acceptance, also you may contribute with GoogleMaps and GoogleEarth! I recommend using any drone of the DJI brand, relatively cheap for the perks you get, great customer support, they are simply ahead of any other drone manufacturer.

If you're in the US, FAA got a clear set of rules for drone operation, but as long as you're not making a business out of it is what is call FLY FOR FUN. In this case you only need to register your drone and follow these rules :)

Good luck with your flying, I'll love to know how it went.

View solution in original post

Level 7

I have used drone in Photography business. Just fly my own to tree. I thought that next I would by Phantom 4 Pro+, but today I heard that there have been quite many connection lost and drone has fly away. Of course more expensive drones would be better, but they have same issues about trees and loosing connection. It would bee much nicer to loose 2000 € drone thane 10000 or 20000 €. Hard to get insurance for them. 

Markus Kiili
Level 8

Legal issues are country by country, so first question is what country are you in? I know in Ireland you can't fly over people unless they are under your control and this is limited to a certain amount of people can't remember exact number. I'm guessing you wouldn't be going to high otherwise the photo wouldn't really represent the bussiness well. You could think of putting a camera on a long pole and remotely taking the photo. It'll give you height without big costs of a drone and other possible issues. 

This isn't me just an example of what I'm talking about

Screenshot_20170402-224722.jpg

Level 4

Hi @PittsburghJon,

It depends on your country's regulations I guess. For example here in France, rules are very restrictive about drones and I wouldn't recommend to try, especially in big cities like Paris. I would advise you to check regulations in your area before trying. 

Level 10

@Stuart Thanks for reply.  I'm in USA.

Is that pole telescoping? 

˚͜˚
Level 8

@PittsburghJon not sure but you could easily get one that would be. 

Here are poles that are used for sound recording, 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Boompoles-Fishpoles/ci/8659/N/4291070001

They might be ideal for the job.

Level 5
Solution

Hi JonathanH!

Not a bad idea at all, owning a drone and having the knowledge to fly it, opens a lot of new opportunities for you.

I've upload lots of drone photos to GoogleLocalguides, and they have great acceptance, also you may contribute with GoogleMaps and GoogleEarth! I recommend using any drone of the DJI brand, relatively cheap for the perks you get, great customer support, they are simply ahead of any other drone manufacturer.

If you're in the US, FAA got a clear set of rules for drone operation, but as long as you're not making a business out of it is what is call FLY FOR FUN. In this case you only need to register your drone and follow these rules :)

Good luck with your flying, I'll love to know how it went.

Level 10

@PittsburghJon. As @TiffanyS mentioned it depends on the country. In Sri Lanka, you have to get lots of permissions. @IlankovanT owns a Phantom Pro. @IlankovanT could you please share your thoughts?

Level 9

@TheDroneGuy said please check the rules and register your Drone in order use. @PittsburghJon I'm using phantom pro and in Sri Lanka, there is a Strict law on this. you can upload nice pictures using drones and really I love drone images. I'm using Drones for my research works and please check this video.

Level 9

That will be next level bro, and cool