JvanGaal's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Cultural views on the art of traveling

Hello my fellow local guides and thrill seekers,

I consider myself to be a reasonably seasoned traveler having visited a decent amount of countries and cities on 4 continents in the past 10 years and more.

For those of you who are SOLO travelers you can agree with me the solo experience brings another challenge (and thrill) as there is only YOU who has to decide where, when, how to go about it.

Having 14 months (divided over 2 trips) of solo travel experience I can talk for hours on this subject.

However.....what I found intriguing in all my travels is the view different people have on traveling.

Coming from Western Europe many people share this excitement and urge to travel but when visiting Sub-saharan Africa and Asian countries you will get a different image.

I have worked on both continents with local Africans and South East Asians and have to conclude that most people do not understand this travel behaviour.

Why go to the bush or hiking and sleep in a tent when you have a decent bed at home and can get a nice cup of coffee in the morning while watching TV. 

This keeps puzzling me and through this post I hope to invite you to share you opinions and experiences on the matter.

How do you see this?

Note: I do not claim that people from Sub Saharan Africa or South East Asia do not enjoy travel at all but in my view in Western Europe 70% of the people enjoys traveling and in Sub Saharan Africa or South East Asia the percentage is a lot lower.

Cheers,

J.