Muhanad_LY's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Cleaning up the map in Benghazi

Hello Everyone:

I come from Benghazi, Libya. With the introduction of 4G in Libya, more people have access to the internet on the go. This made google maps more accessible to so many Libyans, this is great, but there is a downside. Some people upload irrelevant pictures to local places, and some go as far as adding their personal phone numbers to unclaimed businesses. Why is this happening? My best guess people have less experience with Google maps, but I believe with time this will change. Also to claim a business in maps google needs to send you code my mail, and the postal service in Libya is almost nonexistent and extremely slow.

Here is an example:

Benghazi Medical CenterBenghazi Medical Center

Not a photo of the placeNot a photo of the place

So what I do is, go around the map and just report these irrelevant pictures one by one "Not a photo of the place", and Google usually takes them down relatively quickly. I think more can be done with A.I to overcome this issue, but also a simple message to first-time uploaders explaining to them not clutter Google maps with such pictures can help.

I must also acknowledge the many Libyans who are uploading many wonderful pictures of their local communities. Thank you!

This is my first post to the Local Guides Connect and hopefully more to follow.

Benghazi, Libya
1 comment
Level 8

رد: Cleaning up the map in Benghazi

شكرا جزيلا لك لاهتمامك بالمعلومات الخاصة بالمدينة ومدى مصداقيتها

safi.jazoi