Sophia_Cambodia's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

[Camping] Simple & yummy food when camping

I have no idea what your camping experience was like or what food you ate while going camping but I have been on various camping trips around Cambodia, say at least on mountains. It is amazing, especially when I am food lover and I am in charge of the logistics and arrangement. I made sure my team are happy and so food must be something to fill their stomach after tiring days.

Grilled fish from the local lake, yummy!Grilled fish from the local lake, yummy!

This article is going to show you about how we eat while on camping tour, especially hiking up on the mountain so food is very hard to bring. Even it is not like what we eat at home, it turns out to be yummy, easy and do not make any camping experience worse but more fascinating!

What sort of food we cook?

• Food that is easy and simple to make, local materials or sources is preferred. Fish, chicken or beef that can be cooked by just grilling or put them on fire. These only needs to go with a sauce or dip sauce.
  • Food that is popular locally, try something that is normally eaten by locals. 
  • Instant coffee/noodle - normally I don't suggest instant noodle because you really need energy to walk up and down. At some points, when the weather is cold, you need something heavy with vitamins.
  • Simple utensils: a rice pot and a frying pan for cooking and a kettle for boiling water. No barbecue tool is needed while in forest, you will just need a bamboo stick.

Cooking rice at site and packed rice - green mango is used with dip sauce to eat with fresh grilled frishCooking rice at site and packed rice - green mango is used with dip sauce to eat with fresh grilled frish

The arrangements?

** If it is same-day visit, you can pack lunch or breakfast with you from the village. No need to trouble cooking in the forest.

** If overnight camping, you will need a proper meal which include breakfast, lunch and dinner. Village people know best how to do it, just hire them to go with your team. Giving them job and incomes to serve you while you enjoy your trip.

• Breakfast: egg/salted egg, dried fish or marinade pork or beef, sausage and rice.
  • Lunch and dinner: if by yourself, making something very simple like grilled fish with dip sauce.
  • Soup is rarely cooked while on trip except when you hire forest cook 
  • Stir fry - common - with vegetables 
  • Grill - most common as it is very easy to make.
  • Super: sweet potato or corn grilled in the fire
  • Drink: Wine/Beer

Dinner and lunch, cooking at site: fish from the local stream - yummy and sweet!Dinner and lunch, cooking at site: fish from the local stream - yummy and sweet!

** Hire forest cooks/local guides: 10$-20$/day/ person depending on how big or small group you are, how far or near your destination is and how extreme the trail is.

** Tent/Camping gears: you can always bring your gears or just hire it from the local community for your group. I suggest hiring from the local people.

Tent hired from local and from the companiesTent hired from local and from the companies

Local guides and forest cook bringing up the gears. The visitors bring less :)Local guides and forest cook bringing up the gears. The visitors bring less 🙂

I hope you enjoy reading about my experience. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions about camping in Cambodia.

Until my next article, happy guiding.

@Velvel this article is partly a reminder about your basic camping. Did you have similar experience?

November 13, 2020

Sophea

Chi Phat, Cambodia
16 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Simple yet yummy food while camping in deep forest

@MahabubMunna thank you for your LIKES 🙂 and support. I have never got a chance to thank you properly so far but I want to let you know that I really really appreciated that 🙂

Connect Moderator

@Velvel I cannot count how many times I went on camping like this, never once we faced some intruding from wild animals. There might be some coming down for food waste at night closer to our tent but pretty safe!

Connect Moderator

Hi @Sophia_Cambodia 

Thanks for mentioning me and sharing your basic camping experience and tips.

This is so much fun! I did several basic camping during my high school, especially as a scout member.

The last time I had camping was on 2015 with my religion community.

Caption : A collage of photos of several activities that me and my religion community did during the basic camping on 2015. (Local Guide @Velvel)Caption : A collage of photos of several activities that me and my religion community did during the basic camping on 2015. (Local Guide @Velvel)

It was located in Camping Ground Batu Tapak , Sukabumi, Indonesia.

Teh @Nyainurjanah , do you familiar with this camping ground?

If I'm not mistaken, the tent for sleeping can accommodate up to 8 persons. For the daily activity, we did it at the main big tent, such as for praying, reading and reflecting the bible, singing together. We also had night praying session where we lighted on and brought the candle. There were lots of fun activities, such as playing games, hiking for 4 hours with the waterfall as the last stop.

Oops! Actually, the waterfall wasn't the last stop as we still had long journey to come back to the camping ground 😂

Talking about camping, I could say that you are the experienced one because you've done several times, even you met the wild animals! What kind of animals were that? How you overcome their appearance for not intruding?

Connect Moderator

@Velvel thanks for sharing dear, it looks so much fun 🙂

Yes, it is completely different here. The camping here is more for tourism and leisure and we don't have that big ones. A tent can have most 3 people.

Well, it is Great Hornbill who keep shouting at nights above our head because we used light when taking a shower in the stream 🙂 We were happy!

Former Google Contributor

Hello @Sophia_Cambodia,

Thank you for sharing this amazing experience with us, it looks like you had great fun!

Do you often go on such adventures? Do you like hiking as well?

Reading your post, brought back to me so many memories and nostalgic moments spent with my friends, thank you! 

I am going to move your post to the Food & Drink section on Connect because I believe the main topic of the publication is concentrated on food, but I will leave the additional tags as well.

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Thank you @BorrisS appreciated that. Yes, I have been on uncountable trips like that and hiking is one of them. I have been to many places like that in Cambodia and now camping become a trend.

People came to me to organize such trips because I had been in the area for many years working with the community. Yes, I believe you had great time with your friends and now you have to stop it for a while. It is very much fun with same mind people.

Level 8

Re: Simple yet yummy food when camping

@Sophia_Cambodia  Thanks For Share..😍

Connect Moderator

Re: Simple yet yummy food when camping

Connect Moderator

Hi @Sophia_Cambodia 

Beautiful experience as always , thank you for the tips ,and yeah I'm poor about camping just a once time in my life in 2020 before pandemic  .

The @Velvel 

I'm never ever  camping before  2020  ,,even my school time I . Type of my traveling is easy come easy go in a same day   .

But in Sukabumi Lot of camping ground .

So if you ask me about camp or related I'm not right person hehe